13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2010 2:23 PM by Ann Bens

Premiere pro CS4  import problem

JPM912

when I try to import video files from a Creative Vado HD, the video is frozen in the source monitor and in the timeline. Only the audio plays fine.

Imported files are 720p, h-264 avi. 30fps.

Does anyone know what's happening?

• 1. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Likely the codec used is not supported. Three options:

1. Get a real camera

2. Use consumer software, like WMM or Magix

3. Convert to a codec that is supported

• 2. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
            JPM912 Level 1

This is a hasty, not very accurate answer.

1. I have what you call a real camera, but I find it very convenient to have such a small wonder (Vado HD) in my pocket at all times. And believe me , it give surprising results.

2. Besides Premiere Pro CS4, I have also other programs such as this rube goldberg also called Nero. And with Nero, I have no problem importing, editing this format.

3. Now, the beauty of Adobe Premiere Pro is that it is very upscale, very discerning , but on the other side very...limited in choices.  There is probably a solution for importing this kind of what you deem to be "junk asset" into Premiere. I have probably work on re-encoding the asset before importing it.

By the way, thank you for your prompt answer.

• 3. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
              Harm Millaard Level 7

1. I have to disagree. It has more similarity with a toy.

2. This is a very sensible solution to use Nero.

3. That is exactly what I said.

You are not alone with these problems, Aiptek, Zeno, Sanyo, Samsung, all of these brands are rather obstinate to use their own codec implementation instead of opting for industry standards, which is what Adobe supports. It is unrealistic to expect Adobe to support each and every camera on the market and very wise to only support industry standards and not some esoteric format. That is where Nero and other consumer type applications excel. It is also the reason why Nero is such bloated software.

• 4. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                JPM912 Level 1

So if we agree on 2. and 3., there is only 1. left to discussion. We can argument years on this without finding a consensus; it's just a different approach. But I assure you that such a small camera (you call it a toy) is worth the $129 i invested. Everyday, or when I travel I don't always feel like having with me the $4000 Canon. If my Creative Vado HD falls, is stolen, or lost, my loss is very limited. That's why I have it quite often with me or in the car. That's the beauty of it. I don't call this a toy, but I agree there are several ways to define it. i like to see it at some kind of everyday- additional- low cost- high performance- pseudo ( I grant you this term) camcorder. It helps a lot.   But of course I agree, it has some shortfalls among them this damn codec.

• 5. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I have what you call a real camera

I would argue that point.

• 6. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                    JPM912 Level 1

Now, after some trials and errors, here is what I found.

First I imported my Vado HD clips into Nero 9 and created an unedited movie.

I exported this movie to a folder on my HD.

Formats that worked OK with Premiere CS4  are AVI type 1 and 2, 720x480, MPEG2, Nero Digital AVC 72  720x480 and WMV HD 720p.  All of these at 29.97 fps.

Then I imported these files into Premiere where I could edit and mix with other clips from my regular HD camcorder.

No way I could import directly the Vado HD AVI clips, or even after re-encoding them to AVCHD

• 7. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

DV AVI type2 is the recommended format.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several recent posts, both here and on the PrE forum, on the Creative Vado, both the SD and the HD versions. There are a lot of great discussions on working with the footage from the Vado.

Also, the file handling in PrPro and PrE are quite similar, so articles from one, can be very helpful in the other.

Good luck, and good reading,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                          JPM912 Level 1

I tried  downloading new codecs, but nothing helps. I have the feeling this problem originates in the 30 fps of these video clips.

Another solution I just found is to re-encode each clip with Adobe Media Encoder, with settings on 29.97 fps. 

It works but:

- it takes much longer than, say Nero

- quality is somewhat inferior to Nero's re-encoding

• 10. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                            JPM912 Level 1

I finally found the best way to import Vado HD files into Premie

re CS4, thanks to the excellent video tutorial (how to work with pocket camcorders) hidden in Premiere

Resource manager.

Connect Vado HD thru USB

Open a sequence in Premiere with settings on XDCAMex 720p 30p (this format is recommended, but I found others that work as well)

Click on Media Browser in Premiere and import your clips

If necessary, render the clips that are on the timeline and then you can edit easily

If you want it, you can also transform the mono audio track into stereo

Works great !

• 11. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere pro CS4  import problem
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

Thanks for that link. As many in the PrE forum have footage from Flips and Vados, I'll post this there. Obviously, they'll have to do some interpolation, but it might help others.

Appreciated,

Hunt