1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 4:59 AM by robdillon

Performance - Anyone willing to address this??

spireality Level 1

I posted a discussion on this last week - not a peep...

(maybe it was the sh&%%y grammer)

Is anyone willing to address this? Maybe there's some tips on setting things up to run more smoothly - could really use some if so.

Thanks...

>>

I've been using Flash for a few years and have really started to get the hang of it. I think's it's pretty way fun and there are a lot of great possibilities.

I just seem to feel rather limited by Flash sometimes, though. I've been able to design some things that are pretty slick, make them function properly legistically, but then the Flash engine is not strong enough (or something) to run them smooothly.

This current project - in process - is a good example:

http://jp-graphics.net/viewer/lym/opener_1.html

(content on this link will change over the next week)

It uses a combination of frame tweens and AS2 tween classes for it's animation.

Some parts of it were made to tween with AS2, but were jumping (skipping) frames so I changed them to frame tween and it ACTUALLY WORKED BETTER.

Why can't I just design in Flash with the tools that are available in it, and then be able to see it come out working smoothly?

Frame rate on this project is 36, btw.

Just thought I'd put this out there.  Is there a better program out there for web animation that runs more smoothly? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks, JP

• 1. Re: Performance - Anyone willing to address this??
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

Playback performance for applications like Flash is not a simple thing. Flash files are a set of instructions for the computer to perform in real time. None of the animation in Flash is compressed into ready to use bits of media like digital video. So playing a Flash file, or Director, or Unity, or... relies on the power of the computer in the user's hands. Its very simple to design a Flash movie that plays poorly. It takes much more finesse to design and produce a Flash movie that plays well on the computers of the intended audience.