5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 4:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Transitions across multiple video tracks?

jammin109

I have my primary movie on the Video 1 track and some occasional “b roll” video and still photos on Video 2.  I would like to do a cross dissolve transition from Video 2 to Video 1 but Pre7 only allows the transition to be applied between clips on the same track.

The characters and numbers below represent video frames.  Frames ABCD are in the first clip and frames EF are in the second clip of the Video 2 track of the timeline (my “b-roll”).  Frames 1234567890 are my main movie on Video 1 track.   Here is a graphical representation. 

ABCD   EF

I want a cross dissolve transition between frames D and 5.  I’ve been doing a poor man’s version by splitting Video 1 after frame 4, and fading out ABCD and then fading in 567890, but it’s a tedious process when you have many clips on Video3.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Transitions across multiple video tracks?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The only Transition that will "span" Video Tracks is Dip-to-Black, which, if placed on the upper-most Video Track's Clips will take all to black.

Now, if your Clip on Video Track 2 is visually replacing the Clip on Video Track 1, all you have to do is not use an A-B Roll, but use the VT 2 Clip in an Insert Edit to the Clip on VT1. Then, you can do your Cross-dissolve. Just make sure that your Clip (now on Video Track 2) has adequate Handles to allow for the Transition.

With all later versions of PrE and PrPro, A-B Roll editing is no longer necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Transitions across multiple video tracks?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Dissolving between Video 2 and Video 1 is easy.

Just use the Fade Out on the video on Video 2. Fade Out is actualy an opacity change so, as Video 2 fades out, it will reveal Video 2 behind it in a dissolve.

Is that what you want?

• 3. Re: Transitions across multiple video tracks?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Of course! I just did not paint a good picture in my mind. It was getting late, I was fighting the Adobe server crashing, and then there was the wine...

Thank you for correcting me on this one - DUH!!!!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Transitions across multiple video tracks?
                jammin109 Level 1

Thanks very much Steve and Wine guy.  I just tested the fade out on Video 2 solution and its simple and solves my problem. (I was making the situation much more difficult by splitting Video 1 and fading in the remainder.)

I suppose if one of the fancier transitions was required you would need to have both clips on the same video track.  But for my simple problem, the fade out is perfect.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Transitions across multiple video tracks?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  (I was making the situation much more difficult by splitting Video 1 and fading in the remainder.)

So was I, until Steve slapped me around and forced some sense in me. Glad that he got there when he did, or I would have looked even more foolish. I got hung up on A-B Roll editing and just went blank. Sorry for being such a dufus. At least my statement on Dip-to-Black was correct...

Glad that things worked for you, in spite of my mis-direction.

Hunt