18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2009 9:19 PM by RossPubGrp

[CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...

RossPubGrp

Okay, I am on a windows version of premiere pro CS4. I am not very experienced with the software, so this could be amazingly obvious/simple, or it may truly be as hard as I am finding it to be. I need to import a video file, currently a .mov. I believe but am not certain that it was made on an Apple with Final Cut Pro. Premiere gives me a missing codec error.

When I try to play the file in most of my video players, including QuickTime, I get a missing or unsupported codec error (the sound generally plays fine, though - just the video is missing).One of my players actually named the codec, I believe... saying there was an error with xdv8 codec. So I did some googling, and found that mplayer has that codec.

So I download and install the latest mplayer for windows (SMPlayer to be precise), and it plays the video fine. However I still cannot import this video into Premiere. And the SMPlayer doesn't offer an export, save as, etc. function.

I found all of the codec .dll files that the SMPlayer uses, but have no idea how (if it is possible) to get Premiere to recognize them... and I am not sure which it is, as none of them have xdv8 in the title.

Is there a way to import a codec into premiere if it is not part of a codec installer package?

Does anyone know where I can get a codec installer package for Premiere that includes the xdv8 codec?

Is there any other way to work around this issue?

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Your best bet is to convert to DV AVI type2.

Pr does not like delivery formats, especially not rather esoteric ones. Delivery formats are for watching, not editing.

• 2. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
            RossPubGrp Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion... but that begs the question... how?

What software can read the xdv8 codec .mov video file and convert it to... anything premiere can import?

• 3. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
              Jim_Simon Level 8

XDV8 makes games and other apps for the iPhone and iTouch.  That's just not the best material for editing in Premiere, which generally prefers media in standard camera formats.

I'd try a consumer editor.

• 4. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have a .MOV container, created on the Mac, the chances are good that Apple QuickTime Pro (US$29 upgrade/unlock) can do the conversion for you. I am not familiar with that particular CODEC, but unless it was added to the creating Mac, it should be in QuickTime Pro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, Google can only find this thread when I search for "xdv8 codec." Could there be an error? The only thing close, from my memory, would be Xvid, but the container/wrapper is usually .AVI, and not .MOV.

Where did you get the info on that CODEC? Could there be a typo?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                    RossPubGrp Level 1

One of my players (VLC Player, from Video Lan) gave an error stating that the xdv8 codec was missing or not supported. A ton of googling later found that the MPlayer does support the codec - and when I installed said MPlayer (the SMPLayer GUI for windows), I can play the video.

My issue is that the video comes from an indirect source; my client (I am a web designer, this client has a lot of streaming video on the site) has the videos created by a "professional" local studio... who is (in my opinion) anything but pro. I have no direct contact with them, and when I ask for anything to be done, such as getting the video in a different format, it can take weeks or longer before I get a response. So since I have Premiere, I started doing my own editing of the videos to get them web ready. The videos are being shot for TV (they get broadcast on the Fox Business Network)... so I have no idea if this codec is best (or even good) for that medium, but I need to convert it into 3 various sized flv files for web streaming.

UPDATE: I now see that the codec is ffmpeg2, and the 'format' is xdv8. I have no idea what that means!

When I get properties through the SMPlayer, I see the following info;

General

File

Size

6643299 KB (6487 MB)

Length

00:29:03

Demuxer

lavfpref

Video

Resolution

1440 x 1080

Aspect ratio

Format

xdv8

Bitrate

35000 kbps

Frames per second

Selected codec

ffmpeg2

Initial Audio Stream

Format

Bitrate

0 kbps

Rate

48000 Hz

Channels

Selected codec

pcm

Audio Streams

#

Language

Name

ID

<empty>

<empty>

• 7. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I now see that the codec is ffmpeg2, and the 'format' is xdv8. I have no idea what that means!

Personally, I suspect that information.  Use a program called Gspot.  It's pretty reliable about these things.

• 8. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                        RossPubGrp Level 1

I just downloaded gspot 2.70a, and it displays it as;

qt: Apple QuickTime (.MOV/QT)

File Type: QuickTime (.MOV)

Mime Type: video/quicktime

. . . and everything else is just blank. I tried a few other video files, and get a ton of info, but that is all it can tell me about this video. Also, if I try to play it through Gspot, it plays audio (as does everything else I have), but not video... I am still limited to the Mplayer to view the video!

• 9. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

. . . and everything else is just blank.

That is not good.  At this point, I'd return the video to it's originator and request a standard video format - DV for standard def, DVCPRO HD for high definition.

And keep them off a Mac.  Make them do whatever they do on a PC without Quicktime installed for compatibility's sake.

• 10. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have QT Player, load this file. HIt Ctrl+I and read the properties. If you have QT Pro (US$29 upgrade/unlock), hit Ctrl+J and read the full properties.

What does QT say? I wonder why your CODEC did not yield one hit, other than this thread. Something is odd, indeed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                              RossPubGrp Level 1

I have QT, not Pro yet... all it gives me is the following;

Format: 16 bit integer (Little Endian), Stereo, 48.000 khz, XDCAM HD 1080p30 (35Mb/s VBR), 1264x711 millions

And then the framerate and size on disk, etc.

Does that help at all?

• 12. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Download and install WinFF, which is a converter/transcoder built on the FFMPEG libraries. FFMPEG seems to be able to ingest just about anything I've thrown at it, and WinFF has always done a good job of converting bizarro files when the situation calls for it. You could probably try the "DV" preset, which will create a raw DV stream.

• 13. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Format: 16 bit integer (Little Endian), Stereo, 48.000 khz, XDCAM HD 1080p30 (35Mb/s VBR), 1264x711 millions

Ah, now I know. That's a Quicktime movie exported using the Sony XDCAM HD codec, most likely exported from FCP. There are no XDCAM playback components for QuickTime on Windows--at least, there are none that are available from Apple. Try downloading the Calibrated XD Decode component (there's a demo version you can try), and see if that doesn't allow you to at least preview the file.

EDIT: One other long-shot: check out MP4toMPG (website translated from German, thanks to Google). It's a program that's actually designed to work the files generated by the JVC HM-100 and HM-700, which record XDCAM to MOV files. I've actually tested this program with a clip from the HM-700, and CS4 was able to open the resulting MPG file. Premiere Pro CS4 is able to edit XDCAM HD/EX; it's just not able to crack open a QuickTime move with XDCAM HD/EX in it. However, an MPG file containing the same footage (no transcoding happens; just rewrapping) came in and edited just fine. It might work here, too.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                    RossPubGrp Level 1

This is it!!! Thanks!

I need to play with the settings of WnFF now, but I already converted it once, and while it is the wrong resolution, I can play it back and import it into Premiere now!

Thanks again so much!!!

• 15. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Sweet--glad that worked! You might want to check out the MP4toMPG program below, because it will maintain the "HD-ness" of your file(s) and is simply a one-click operation without any fiddle-faddling around necessary. The only caveat is that it DOES convert the audio to 320kbps MP2 audio, but if that's an issue, you can probably just import the original MOV file and use its audio (which I'm guessing plays back just fine in Premiere, even if the video doesn't).

Good luck!

• 16. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        That's a Quicktime movie exported using the Sony XDCAM HD codec, most likely exported from FCP. There are no XDCAM playback components for QuickTime on Windows

THIS is why I don't like Macs.  They just don't play nice with everyone else.

• 17. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

THIS is why I don't like Macs.  They just don't play nice with everyone else.

Yeah, we get it. Seems you've told us once or twice...

• 18. Re: [CS4] importing video with xdv8 codec...
                                            RossPubGrp Level 1

I actually like Macs. I was a Mac fanboy and wouldn't touch PCs for most of the 90's... but then my work required me to go PC, and

since I have found they're just as good, only in different ways... each has their merits. I still think that the typical Mac is a better built machine than the typical PC (though you pay for that)... but software wise, Mac and Pc are roughly equal, each with its benefits and drawbacks.

Things like this are a pain in the ***, but it is more a result of shoddy/amature work - if the video studio were using PCs (which they may be, I don't know for sure), I am sure somethi else would have been an issue!