8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 6:18 AM by Cito-plan

Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap

Cito-plan Level 1

Is it possible to define multiple croparea's at once in CS3/CS4?

Is it possible to define them and move each crop area a certain amount?

I want to split a citymap into different page's (like an atlas) and export them separately as PDF or EPS.

Daniel Hoogendoorn

Cito-plan b.v.

• 1. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can have multiple artboards in CS4.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
            Cito-plan Level 1

I know I could, but what I want to know is for instance creating 10 croparea's with one "click"

In a way like adding 10 pages at once..

• 3. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

In CS 4 File>New select a number f artboards you want and the layout and workflow orientation.

Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 10.37.17 AM.png

Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 10.37.27 AM.png

• 4. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Spacing dropdown box will accept negative numbers so you can get your overlap.

• 5. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
                  Cito-plan Level 1

Oke, Thanks for the respons but...

Artboards.. Not croparea's.. So what your trying to say is that croparea's won't work?

I'm a diehard Freehand user and trying to convert our workflow to illustrator.

The way to do this in Freehand is with Lens fills, export selected object, and voila there it is.

It's also handy because the lensobjects are saved and you can move or replace them and they are visible!

The Croparea's aren't visible all the time, you must define each croparea apart and positioning them seperately..

I'm working with CS3 and the trial of CS4 has expired so i can't try out the suggestion Wade Zimmerman made with multiple Artboards..

maybe this explanes my "problem" in a better way and is there another solution?

Thanks for the reply's already made!

Daniel Hoogendoorn

• 6. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
                    Cito-plan Level 1

Thanks for the respons,

I've looked into CS4 and the multiple artboard function;

There is a problem here, the manual tells me there are max 100 artboards (depend on size) and i need a lot more!

Is there any other solution available?

• 7. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
                      JETalmage Level 6

Daniel,

You are not going to get Illustrator to replicate your FreeHand workflow. So far, every new function which Illustrator has borrowed from FreeHand since Adobe aquired it (including multiple pages) has fallen far short of FreeHand's treatment.

There still is no Lens feature in Illustrator. There still is no option to export just the selection (absolutely stupid).

Yet another unsatisfying workaround that might work for youi in CS3:

1. If you haven't already, in Document Setup, set the artboard to the size of the full map.
                      2. In the Print Dialog, General pane, set Media Size to the desired size for one portion of the map.
                      3. In the Print Dialog, Setup pane, set Tiling to Tile Full Pages. Click Done (not Print).
                      4. View>ShowPageTiling. Illustrator displays dotted lines indicating the numbered page tiles.You can get the utterly lame Page Tool (it's under the Hand tool), and click somewhere to set the page tiling origin where you want it (usually at the bottom left of the Artboard.
                      5. Save A Copy as PDF. Turn on the option for Create Multi-page PDF from Page Tiles.

The resulting PDF will have separate pages, with the map sliced up according to the Page Tiles. The artwork does not actually get sliced; objects which cross the bounds of a PageTile just get masked in the PDF.

JET

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Define multiple crop area's, same size with overlap
                        Cito-plan Level 1

Thanks JETalmage,

"Yet another unsatisfying workaround that might work for youi in CS3:"

Unsatisfying indeed, and even worse to know that there are some documents with different overlap on some pages!

It's even more unsatisfying to know that CS3 and CS4 are handling Croparea's in a different way!

Hmm...... I'm trying to keep up the good work and struggle my way through CS3 to get things sorted out.

As long as Freehand won't stop working on the new machines (MX is working under Snow leopard 10.6!) the work is done in Freehand but when it stops..

or when my computer (Freehand 9 on G4 PPC) stops... I must go on in illustrator .....(Heavy sigh...)

Daniel Hoogendoorn