9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 8:35 AM by the_wine_snob

problem starting up 'open project'

another newby

Hi guys.

I love the product when I can get it opened, but why is it so shy making an appearance?

I tried sifting through all previous discussions on this subject but am running out of aspirins and tranquilizers trying to make headtail.

I checked that all my system requirements are running properly on my new laptop. Hopefully this following info might help to get a short cut answer, as I am now running behind on a project deadline: The open project window (similiar to the welcome one) appears to load everything until it gets to 'media core prm' and then just stops. I can get into the organizer. I've tried opening projects from every available source including from the organizer, and the auto-play file under 'users' but just get the same message. Any help would be welcome.

David

PS I noticed that start-up problems attracted the most viewers, over 4000. Maybe, Adobe wants to run ads on this forum and is trying to get enough readers?        

• 1. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to advise you without knowing which version of the program you're referring to, newby -- or even what operating system you're using, how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive.

Version 8 is a real power hog, so I sure wouldn't try to run it on a laptop unless it was a heck of a laptop! It takes about 5 minutes to initially launch and open a project, and then it demands lots of RAM space and lots of free hard drive space.

In some cases, when you try to open a project from the Welcome Screen, the program will open "blank", and you'll need to go to File/Open to finish opening the project.

But we don't have nearly enough information to advise you there either.

• 2. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
            another newby Level 1

I attached a doc with specs. Could you please advise where I can find info on video cards on my laptop & PC? Thanks

• 3. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
              the_wine_snob Level 9

On the laptop, go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and click on the + besides Display adapters. This will tell you your graphics card/chip.

Next, see if there is a driver update. With an embedded graphics chip (if that is what you have), you may have to search the Intel (or other) site to find it.

After that, update your Realtek Audio driver with the very latest. This can be very important.

It also helps to update Apple QuickTime Player, however there is a bit of a warning here. It seems that the 7.6.x versions have exhibited some issues with Adobe programs! The QT 7.5.5 is the "last known good" version, as far as I can determine. Some have zero issues with the 7.6.x versions, but many Adobe users have. Just a warning.

As for the desktop, one big limiting factor is that ~11 GB of free space. The recommended is ~ 30 GB, and for good reason.

Also, update the M-Audio driver and the graphics driver to the latest. The comment on QT Player still holds, but do see the warning. One might have to roll-back to 7.5.5. Just be aware of that.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - something on both machines: single HDD's can present all sorts of playback issues, especially if they are near full, or there are a lot of programs and Processes running in the background. This ARTICLE might give you some tips on getting ready for an editing session. Steve also has some great articles on optimizing one's computer and OS for editing in the FAQ sub-forum to the right of the main screen.

• 4. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
                nealeh Level 5

another newby wrote:

Hopefully this following info might help to get a short cut answer, as I am now running behind on a project deadline:

Missed deadlines are a real problem(*). Obviously I don't know what level of complexity your project is but, if it's not too demanding, you could give yourself some breathing space by using a different product (until you sort out the PRE8 issues). You probably already have Windows Movie Maker installed on your PC if it's very basic. A step up would be the completely free 'silver' version of Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 - details here.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

(*) "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

• 5. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
                  another newby Level 1

Hi!

I tried the steps you suggested, no joy yet. I did try saving a version of my video (on my desktop) to my HD, that went fairly alright but still can't get proper playback on the timeline or sceneline on PE8 on my desktop. In general, the downloads you recommended went alright except for realtek audio for the laptop, which failed to complete, I'll try again tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the attempted start ups on my laptop still only get as far as the message 'loading player media core prm'. I also looked into downloading the earlier version of QT (sounds like 'cutie' what a fraud!), but they only seem to offer their latest version?   

• 6. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
                    nealeh Level 5

another newby wrote:

I also looked into downloading the earlier version of QT (sounds like 'cutie' what a fraud!), but they only seem to offer their latest version?   

Here:

http://www.oldversion.com/QuickTime.html

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With some laptops, the mfgrs. do their own versions of drivers. Some do a great job, like Dell and probably HP. They make these available on a very regular schedule. Others, like Toshiba, write one proprietary driver, and never update these, plus the chip mfgr's driver will not load - bogus! So, success will depend. If you have a Dell, or an HP, look on their sites for all drivers.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
                        another newby Level 1

Thanks again,

I loaded QT 7.5.5, did the trick! (That obviously adds more fuel to the QT latest offering debate). Whilst, there are still a few peripheral issues left to resolve regarding this message content, I'm at least back on track.

David   

• 9. Re: problem starting up 'open project'
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

I'm at least back on track.

That is good news. Glad that QT 7.5.5 worked for you. From my reading of others' problems, I treat it as the "last known good" version, but there might be one in the 7.6.x series that was good with Adobe too. I just do not know which that would be.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting your success,

Hunt