7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 7:48 AM by Harm Millaard

i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems

mtechman Level 1

I need some help with debugging this. I have the  the system running windows 7 as long as I use only 1 of the 3 slots. When I put in the other 2 sticks system goes to a endless reboot cycle. My memory is

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK  which  has 7-7-7-18/2T timing at 1.5v.  Working on the evga/gskill forum seems folks have to up VTT to .1 /VDIMM 1.6 to get things to work.

Currently this bios read 1067 for memory speed which is wrong for this, should be 1333, but I dont see what slower settings would not work.

I am a little confused here, (why isnt it call PC3 1333?)

So on those forums it was recommened to change my settings to:

1333 MHz memory frequency - stock core frequency

Frequency / Voltage Control
      CPU Host Frequency ( 133 )
      CPU Clock Ratio ( 20x )
      CPU Uncore Frequency ( 20x )

Memory Feature
      Memory Frequency ( 2:10 )

Voltage Control
      CPU VTT ( +100mv )
      DIMM Voltage ( 1.65v )
      Memory Frequency: 133 * 10 (2:10) = 1330 MHz
      Uncore Frequency: 133 * 20 = 2660 MHz
      Core Frequency: 133 * 20 = 2660 MHz
      Try those settings and keep your timings according to manufacture specs of your ram.

So assuming this works (will look for bent pins on CPU socket if it doesnt)

and I want to over clock the cpu to ~3.6 GIG   I could use help with the rest of the settings.

I found Harms overclocking guide before but now cant find it, can someone pint me to it

and any one else with recommandations feel free to comment.

• 1. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
          Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

It could be a number of things.

Is there a BIOS update available for your motherboard?

Are you being careful of static electricity whan working on your system? Wear a static wrist band and handle components by their edges.

Can you place other sticks of your RAM (just one) in the same slot and still get the system to start? If not, you have bad RAM.

Can you place the same stick of RAM that allows your system to start in another slot and get the system to start? If not, you may have a bad Motherboard.

Are other people in the forums having trouble with your identical RAM in your motherboard? Do all of your RAM serial numbers match?

I haven't build a system with an EVGA motherboard, but my experience with Gigabyte motherboards is, you have to manually set the RAM parameters in the BIOS in order to get it to run at it's performance rated speed.

• 2. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Assuming the BIOS settings will not differ too much from the ASUS boards, here are the settings I use:

In the BIOS, go to the AI Tweaker tab. Use the following settings:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual

CPU Ratio Setting : Auto

Intel SpeedStep Tech: Enabled

Intel Turbo Mode Tech: Enabled

BCLK Frequency: 172

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1379 MHz

You can leave everything else unchanged.

This will give you a turbo clock speed of 3.6 GHz and memory slightly over 1333.

If you need to go higher, use Turbo V to temporarily increase BCLK to 180 while leaving the rest of the settings untouched. Otherwise you need to experiment what is stable and with low enough voltages and temperatures.

• 3. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
              mtechman Level 1

chuckAMc

Thanks for the reply, here are answers:

Is there a BIOS update available for your motherboard?

Yes, I will install it but appears it just allows 2T disk paritions.

Are you being careful of static electricity whan working on your system? Wear a static wrist band and handle components by their edges.

Yes, and I make sure I touch grounded metal before handling board....

Can you place other sticks of your RAM (just one) in the same slot and still get the system to start? If not, you have bad RAM.

Yes, I also checked out each one with the memory test program that comes with windows 7

Can you place the same stick of RAM that allows your system to start in another slot and get the system to start? If not, you may have a bad Motherboard.

I did not try this, assumed 1 stick had to be in slot one.

Are other people in the forums having trouble with your identical RAM in your motherboard?

I can find similar cases but not identical.

Do all of your RAM serial numbers match?

Good thing for me to check

I haven't build a system with an EVGA motherboard, but my experience with Gigabyte motherboards is, you have to manually set the RAM parameters in the BIOS in order to get it to run at it's performance rated speed

I think its the same here, but I also would think the system would boot with alll 3 slots populated and slower than spec'd parameters, so it makes me worried that I have a bad board bent pin......

• 4. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
                Jim_Simon Level 9
                Currently this bios read 1067 for memory speed which is wrong for this, should be 1333

That's because the norm for x58 boards is a max of 1066.  To run memory at higher frequencies, you need to overclock.

• 5. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
                  mtechman Level 1

The answer was to set the  memory low  gap, the auto selection didnt set the value right.

I have the system running with 6gig, @ 3.82Ghz.

Its passed memtest86 and 1.5hrs of linpac with 25000 problem size.

Quesiotn:

Why is it recommended on this forum to have a machine for editing and one for everything else?

• 6. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Maybe this is of interest: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/529916?tstart=0

My latest settings are:

BCLK:          186

Vcore:          1.25625

Vdimm:        1.50

QPI/uncore:  1.23125

IOH:             1.12

Timings:        8-8-8-19

LLC:             enabled

Spread spectrum disabled

These are on the A batch of the C0/C1 stepping. With the D0 stepping you ought to do even better with lower voltages.

Now to your question, why use an editing machine for editing and another machine for other applications? Simple, CLM. An editing rig should be Clean, Lean and Mean. The more programs you have installed the more you lose on the Clean, Lean and Mean aspects and the larger the possibility of unwanted overhead, due to resident services or processes, the bigger the chance of incompatibilities, etc.

• 7. Re: i7 920/Evga x58 LE memory problems
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

If you still have problems with the 2 TB limitations of raid arrays, try to enable LBA 64. If that option is not available, go to disk management and convert the disk to GPT.