15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 11:20 AM by Alexauwa

Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?

Alexauwa Level 1

Hey everyone,

I am recording with a Panasonic HCD-SD300 in avchd format. I thought that this camcorder records

in progressiv mode, but everytime I import a file to PP/AE it says 25 fps and interlaced (upper).

When I contacted panasonic they said that the camcorder records in 50i and with the cinematic

modus activated the chip reads the 50i to be as 25p, I dont not understand this as it still says 25 fps

and interlaced in AE/PP.

So what function in AE/PP can i use to convert my avchd footage to progessive? What format

is recommanded to convert to with media encoder?

I know that AE does interpret my footage and that in my composition the interlaced line are gone.

But after rendering it back to movie. So what can I do, what can  I do to get the best out if it?!

I'd be very happy about an answer!

Best,

Alex

• 1. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Alex: AE (and PPro) figure out things like interlaced/progressive by using a database (stored in a text file called "Interpretation Rules") that helps the application guess these things from a number of factors. It's right in a majority of cases, but it can fail to interpret specific things correctly in some cases which are not typical. And this is why AE allows you to Interpret Footage manually.

I am not sure if that camera records progressive video or not. But one thing you can do is select a clip in the project panel and click the Interpret Footage button (the button at the lower left corner of the Project Panel in AE CS4). In the IF dialog, set Separate Fields to "Off". Does that specific clip look right in the Comp panel after doing that? Then it's possible that footage is progressive.  You can then change the interpretation to all other clips in this way: In the project panel, select the footage item you already interpreted manually, right click on it and  go to Interpret Footage > Remember Interpretation. Then select all other clips (the ones you haven't changed yet), right click and go to Interpret Footage > Apply Interpretation.

If it turns out that your footage is indeed interlaced, you could use a plug-in like like Reelsmart Fields kit to apply adaptive deinterlacing to it. I am sure there are other techniques other users can suggest, especially techniques which don't require third party plug-ins.

• 2. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
            Alexauwa Level 1

Thanks for your help!

Is there also a format recommanded to encode to with adode media encoder as

CS4 until now sometimes has a tough job to handle avchd footage.

And once AE is got my footage interpreted the right way, i know that the

interlace lines are gone but back when it is rendered. Can't i have

this "look" in my comp, which looks then kind of deinterlaced througout

my whole project including rendering, or do I making a mistake in thinking?

Best,

Alex

• 3. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?

Alex:

And once AE is got my footage interpreted the right way, i know that the

interlace lines are gone but back when it is rendered. Can't i have

this "look" in my comp, which looks then kind of deinterlaced througout

my whole project including rendering, or do I making a mistake in thinking?

If you want, upload a short sample to yousendit or similar service, and I'll take a look.

Is there also a format recommanded to encode to with adode media encoder as

CS4 until now sometimes has a tough job to handle avchd footage.

Quicktime PNG, Quicktime Animation or Quicktime JPEG2000 (all of them Quicktime codecs, not image sequences) will give you fully lossless encoding, but with very, very large data rates and file sizes. If you want truly lossless and have very fast/large drives, then use one of these.

Quicktime PhotoJPEG, when set at 100 per cent quality, will give you something which looks great, with much more manageable file sizes and data rates.

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?

Alex: The contents of that clip are so abstract in nature that it's very difficult to say. 95 per cent of it is concrete floor with motion blur from the camera

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                  Alexauwa Level 1

Thanks for your reply, the new link has been sent to you.

Btw, could you also tell me what Project settings I will have to chose in PP when editing it? And Shall I then keep working with avchd footage or would you recommand converting ti straight away!?

• 7. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?

Alex:

From what I see this is indeed 50i (interlaced) material.

Apparently, the european version of the camera doesn't have the progressive mode (the version for NTSC markets does 24P by adding pull-down).

So, yes, AE and PPro are doing the right thing when interpreting footage as upper field first.

If you want to convert the footage to progressive, I don't think you really need any plug-ins. One intersting possibility is this- the standalone Adobe Media Encoder application (installed with AE and PPro) performs deinterlacing automatically when the source is interlaced and the target format is progressive.

Simple test: Import footage into AE, use in a simple test Comp, render with Upper field first (Quicktime with PhotoJPEG codec at 100 per cent quality  should look fine and it won't produce a gigantic file). Drop the resulting file into AME standalone and select H264 format and the 1080 25P high quality preset. You'll get a nice, progressive H264 file (this particular file would be too big for web use, for example).

Let me know if you need further instructions.

In Premiere Pro's new sequence window, you want to pick this preset: AVCHD folder > 1080i > AVCHD 1080i25 (50i). Be careful not to pick the one labeled as "anamorphic".

EDIT: regarding converting or not AVCHD to something else, please read the reply I just posted on a thread a few minutes ago.

• 8. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                      Alexauwa Level 1

Gday Adolfo,

thanks heaps for your support, much appreciated!

I'll now give it a try

• 9. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                        Alexauwa Level 1

A few things happened:

1. dropped my AVCHD footage into a new comp and rendered to Quicktime Movie/Foto JPEG (HQ)

Result, a large file (890 mb)  with jumpy frames in it.

2. Converting with AME to H.264/HDTV 1080p 25 - HQ (file size about 70)

Result, the is still jumpy and AE cant handle it as it freezes when I try to skip

through the frame in the time line.

What can I do? Convert my AVCHD footage straigth away with AME to a different

format? Or use PP to render, if so what output format?

I am sry not to come up with better news as you really help me a lot so far

Best,

Alex

• 10. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                          Alexauwa Level 1

I just rendered out from PP with the same settings HDTV 1080p 25 - HQ

and bang it works. No more jumpy footage, but then importing it to AE

again AE freezes. What can I do? Which is really sad as the file is good

in size and looks awesome, but I need to be able to edit it in AE

• 11. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure what you mean by AE freezes. Freezing to me means that the program becomes unresponsive and you have to force a quit to continue. If by freezes you mean that you can't scrub cleanly or preview cleanly then you either don't have enough ram/processing power to preview at full rez or you're not setting up the ram preview properly.

• 12. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?

I just rendered out from PP with the same settings HDTV 1080p 25 - HQ

and bang it works. No more jumpy footage, but then importing it to AE

again AE freezes. What can I do? Which is really sad as the file is good

in size and looks awesome, but I need to be able to edit it in AE

How are you going from PPro to AE? Are you using the Premiere Pro project import feature in AE, import PPro sequence through Dynamic Link or are you rendering a video file out from PPro?

• 13. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?

Result, the is still jumpy and AE cant handle it as it freezes when I try to skip

through the frame in the time line.

Oh, I see.

I wasn't suggesting that you use the H264, 1080 25P HQ Adobe Media Encoder preset as something you would in a file that you intend to bring back into AE. Ths preset specifies a combination of H264 settings/level/profile that could indeed misbehave when used in a production chain.

I only meant that you used this preset to test AME's deinterlacing once you're done in AE.

• 14. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                                  Alexauwa Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I mean AE freezes and I have to restart it. The problem is not a lack of less power. It must be something else as my pc is fast enough. AE just doesnt seem to be able to handle this rendered format of HDTV 1080p 25. What other format provides the same quality or what AE settings could I change?

• 15. Re: Interlaced footage to progessive with AE/PP!?
                                    Alexauwa Level 1

Hey Adolfo,

thanks again for your reply. Yes, after I have rendered my avchd footage in PPro the "jumpy" footage was gone. Just the try to edit the "HDTV 1080p 25" format file could no be handle in AE, thats why I was wondering? You got any tip, or can u recommand a similar and same quality format which as well is

progressiv? OR are the any specific AE settings to do?

Best,

Alex