9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 10:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?

dalbabes

I'm sure this is a newbie question, but I'm looking for a keyboard shortcut that I can jump to the current time. I know in After Efects it's Alt + Shift + J which brings up dialog that you can go to a specific time. Any shortcut like that for Premiere?

• 1. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
          shooternz Level 6

Type it into the Timecode box provided in the Timeline Window.

There are a number of ways this box accepts the numbers eg frames or time

• 2. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
            dalbabes Level 1

I figured that. But is there a keyboard shortcut to select the timecode box or do I just have to breakdown and use the mouse?

• 3. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
              shooternz Level 6

Treat yourself ...one little mouse click... .

I was going to add..."cant hurt much" ...but then my RSI kicked in and reminded me that maybe it can "hurt you"

• 4. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
                Colin Brougham Level 6

dalbabes wrote:

I figured that. But is there a keyboard shortcut to select the timecode box or do I just have to breakdown and use the mouse?

No need for a shortcut key or a mouse click; just type in the time you want to jump to using the numeric keypad. For example, to go to 00:01:00:00, type 10000 and press the Enter key. You can also use the period/decimal key and a 0 to shorthand 0:00. In other words, type 2.0.0 to represent 00:02:00:00. This works in the Source Monitor, Program Monitor, or Timeline panel.

Also, you can add a "+" or a "-" before the number to move relatively to your current time.

• 5. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Colin Brougham wrote:

No need for a shortcut key or a mouse click; just type in the time you want to jump to using the numeric keypad. For example, to go to 00:01:00:00, type 10000 and press the Enter key. You can also use the period/decimal key and a 0 to shorthand 0:00. In other words, type 2.0.0 to represent 00:02:00:00. This works in the Source Monitor, Program Monitor, or Timeline panel.

Also, you can add a "+" or a "-" before the number to move relatively to your current time.

Just be aware that if a clip is selected in a targeted track, Colin's method will move the clip, not the CTI.

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6
                    Just be aware that if a clip is selected in a targeted track, Colin's method will move the clip, not the CTI.

Ah, yes--thanks for that reminder, Jeff. IMO, this is one of the great flaws of Adobe's implementation of direct time navigation. I've reprogrammed myself to clicking in a blank spot of the sequence or hitting Ctrl+Shift+A, so I don't even think about it.

• 7. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
                      pebalsamo Level 2

Colin Brougham-7w0Zcn wrote:

Ah, yes--thanks for that reminder, Jeff. IMO, this is one of the great flaws of Adobe's implementation of direct time navigation. I've reprogrammed myself to clicking in a blank spot of the sequence or hitting Ctrl+Shift+A, so I don't even think about it.

Ah Ha.  So you do have to click....

Phil

• 8. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
                        Colin Brougham Level 6
                        Ah Ha.  So you do have to click....

Alright, so you got me At least the target for clicking on "nothing" is bigger!

• 9. Re: Keyboard shortcut for Go to time?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          At least the target for clicking on "nothing" is bigger!

Well, one would think so. However, when I click to give the Timeline focus, I always manage to hit the TimeCode box. Lotta' real estate there, but I hit the danged TimeCode box. When I try to outsmart myself, I end up clicking on the tab for another Sequence. I get so frustrated with myself sometimes!

Hunt