24fps

progressive

uncompressed AVIs

Project settings:

720x480

4:3  .9091 pixel aspect ratio

23.976fps

progressive

I'm trying to just export this project out as an AVI, even uncompressed, so that is looks just like it does in the project, but I keep getting a blur any time there is motion.  I've exported it out before and it worked fine, but using the same settings, it's suddenly giving me the results in the image I attached to this post.

I've tired exporting as a 720x480, 23.976 progressive uncompressed AVI, Lagarith Lossless AVI, and also the same settings as an h.264 mp4 file and I'm getting the same results every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm supposed to have this to the client tomorrow.

• 1. Re: Blurred video when exporting
          Jim_Simon Level 8

If the clips really are 24 fps (and given the animation, they could well be), try exporting out as 24 fps, not 23.976.  There is a difference.

• 2. Re: Blurred video when exporting
            Webshark2000 Level 1

I tried changing it to 24fps instead of 23.976 and left all the other settings the same, but it seems to have made it even worse.  I've attached the result.

• 3. Re: Blurred video when exporting
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Hmm.

Perhaps an Interpret Footage action is needed here.  Maybe Premiere isn't reading the clips actual frame rate correctly?

• 4. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                Webshark2000 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

Hmm.

Perhaps an Interpret Footage action is needed here.  Maybe Premiere isn't reading the clips actual frame rate correctly?

Not sure.  I checked a bunch of the clips and it shows the framerate to be 24.0000.

I ended up creating a new sequence and set the timebase to 24fps rather than 23.976 (which is what it's been since I began working on this project back in July, so why it's screwing up now I have no idea).

I copied everything from the 23.976 timeline and pasted it into the new 24fps timline.  I then exported using Lagarith at 24fps.  The exported video looked correct, no blurring.  But what I did run into was that every spot in the timeline that had a transition was now screwed up.  Instead of doing a smooth crossfade, it instead faded to black and then suddenly cut to the next clip.  There are also now tiny gaps between every clip (most of which don't cause a problem, but a few cause 1 frame of black).

I assume this problem has come about because of the difference in framerate between 23.976 and 24.  Anyway, I'll have to go back through the entire project and fix all those little problems, but I think the blurriness is gone now.  As to what caused the problem to start in the first place, I still have no idea.

It's late.  I'm tired.

• 5. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  why it's screwing up now I have no idea

Did you update to 4.2?  There was a 24 fps issue corrected with that update.  Things now work as they should.

• 6. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                    Webshark2000 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

Did you update to 4.2?  There was a 24 fps issue corrected with that update.  Things now work as they should.

Yeah, updated to 4.2 the day it came out.  It had exported out fine for the past couple months (even with 4.1).  So, if anything, the 4.2 update may have been what messed it up, but it seems like it had worked once or twice sine the update, so I don't think that's the case.

I think there are just gremlins in this project.  I've had more export problems with this one project than all the other projects I've ever done in Premiere combined.

• 7. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      the 4.2 update may have been what messed it up

You could sort of see it that way.  Technically, 4.1 should not have worked.  There was a bug which actually allowed incorrect settings to work.  That got fixed, and now incorrect settings produce the 'correct' output, which is incorrect.  To get truly correct output, you have to have truly correct settings.

Make sense?

seems like it had worked once or twice sine the update

I would guess that's simply observer error.  You're not the first to have this issue with a 24/23.976 mismatch.

• 8. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                        Webshark2000 Level 1

Would it be considered a mismatch if my timeline was 23.976 progressive and I was exporting to 23.976 progressive?

I guess I'm unsure of the correct application to use 23.976.  Is it just for 24p advanced footage, so that the 2:3 pulldown works properly?  Should I have been in 24 the whole time?

I was getting good results using 23.976 previously, but if I understand you correctly you're saying that the results I was getting (that were what I was wanting) were actually a mistake and it should have been giving me the blurred footage all along?

• 9. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Would it be considered a mismatch if my timeline was 23.976 progressive and I was exporting to 23.976 progressive?

If the media file is at 24, then yes.

Should I have been in 24 the whole time?

Based on the info provided so far, I'd say yes.  It should not have worked in 4.1, but it did by mistake.  4.2 corrects that so that now things works properly, which creates the issue if you have a mismatch.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                            Webshark2000 Level 1

Well, the files are exporting fine for playback on a computer, but now when I use the method to convert to mpeg2 using HCEncoder that you gave me, Jim, in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/501476?tstart=0

the result looks very pixelated on DVD.  I'm unable to select the 3:2 pulldown since it's now 24fps.  Should I change other settings?

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

DVD won't handle true 24 fps.  You may need to go back to the original source and create the animation as 23.976.

• 12. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                                Webshark2000 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

DVD won't handle true 24 fps.  You may need to go back to the original source and create the animation as 23.976.

Unfortunately, that's not an option given our time constraints.  Any quicker work-around?  I tried letting Encore transcode the AVI using the best settings I could and it looked better, but not as good as HC Encoder had done before.

• 13. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Any quicker work-around?

I don't know.  I've never worked with genuine 24 fps media before.  Only 23.976.

• 14. Re: Blurred video when exporting
                                    Webshark2000 Level 1

Ok.  If I find something that works better I'll post back.