6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2009 1:21 PM by yaxuna

Removing Premiere Elements 8

yaxuna

Having experienced numerous problems (and trying the troubleshooting tips without success), I would like to *completely* remove Elements 8 and projects from my computer (running Vista 64-bit). It is a new program for me, so I have nothing important to lose.

TIA

• 1. Re: Removing Premiere Elements 8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, in Control Panel, use Add/Remove Programs, let it populate and then choose Adobe PrE 8.

Look through your system, as this will NOT remove your Projects. Might be worthwhile to check out that/those location(s), and make note of the location.

Seach the system for Adobe PrE 8 for folders and files, like the Media Cache. Remove those too. Look in Program Files\Adobe for PrE 8 folders, plus Documents & Settings\[User Name]\Applications Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements (also check the same path, but All Users.

Then, run a Registry Cleaner, like CCleaner to look for Registry entries, that might not have removed. Hint: allow CCleaner to make a backup of your Registry. It's good, but no sense not having that backup.*

Good luck,

Hunt

* Missed this one in an earlier post, and Steve Grisetti added it.

• 2. Re: Removing Premiere Elements 8
            i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Since Hunt has already described the steps, I'd just like to know why you want to remove PRE 8? What sort of problems have you encountered that you want to remove the program completely?

• 3. Re: Removing Premiere Elements 8
              yaxuna Level 1

I was having the same problem addressed in this forum previously - PE8 running as a background task even after exiting the program. I thought that a complete uninstall and then reinstall might alleviate the problem, but no such luck.

Merry Christmas!

• 4. Re: Removing Premiere Elements 8
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several very recent threads on the elements of PrE 8, that run in the background, and do not exit, when the program is shut down. Ozpeter started one of these, and both Steve and ATR (valued contributors here) added some good comments on how to manage these. Very recently, and in one of the very long threads, an engineer/developer from nVidia added some great comments on these "rogue" Processes, and nVidia cards. The only downside to this long thread is that the great tips are interspersed with all sorts of rants - just read past those. Here is that THREAD. Here is Ozpeter's THREAD.

There are several others, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Removing Premiere Elements 8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a FAQ Entry, that should prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt