4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 9:29 AM by justinae

Open .psd in FW CS3 and maintain paths?

justinae

I have a .psd file that when I open in FW CS3 it maintains all the layers just fine, but when I go to click on an object like a box it just shows as a bitmap rather than a path. So I can't edit the color or size.

Any workaround?

thanks much,

Justin

• 1. Re: Open .psd in FW CS3 and maintain paths?
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

The workaround is CS4. I do not believe paths are supported in FW CS3.

• 2. Re: Open .psd in FW CS3 and maintain paths?
            justinae Level 1

really? That's a bummer. Seems like the whole concept of a suite isn't exactly working out if you loose the ability to edit content on platforms that are meant to stream line the process from design to web.

• 3. Re: Open .psd in FW CS3 and maintain paths?
              pixlor Level 4

justinae wrote:

really? That's a bummer. Seems like the whole concept of a suite isn't exactly working out if you loose the ability to edit content on platforms that are meant to stream line the process from design to web.

You need to remember that Fireworks and Dreamweaver came to Adobe through the merger with Macromedia. While FW and DW always worked well together, the products of the two companies were not designed to interoperate. Historically, one would design in Fireworks and code in Dreamweaver.

Since the merger, Adobe has been working to improve interoperability between Fireworks and Photoshop (and also Illustrator)  - mature applications with different approaches and code bases. There's a lot of code to revise and improve so that FW can read all PS effects and so that PS can read all FW layers. They're working on it.

• 4. Re: Open .psd in FW CS3 and maintain paths?
                justinae Level 1

Hi Pixlor. I totally understand. And that would be easier to swallow if we were paying less, but for $1500, and the fact that they call it a "suite" I expect it to be a standard feature. That being said, I can't even imagine what the code base looks like.