30 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 11:15 PM by i_dream_of_jeannie

Whats up with help?

productflaws

I installed the product and no help the help would not work. I spent an hour looking at the Adobe site until I found the help viewer but the help function on the application does not work still. Since the help viewer, and Premier elements also seem not to be able to be minimized on my monitor I must switch back and fourth if I want to see any instructions rather than simply have then side by side where it is easy to use.

I went to download the PDF  help using both the link on the web site in the help menu and also the different link that came with the manual but in both cases the PDF is "not found".

How does Adobe expect anyone to use a product if they can not get something as basic as a PDF link working that is on their web site and printed in the product package to come up?

I think the fact that screens can not be minimized or sized and the non-functioning help or lack of working links on the Adobe web site is a show stopper.

A very poor offering and after hours of aggravation and no response from Adobe I am about to give up.

All I guess I can do is remove the applications, dispute the charge on the credit card and force OfficeMax to take it back as defective product regardless of software policy.

• 1. Re: Whats up with help?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What version of PrE are you using and having problems with?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Whats up with help?
            productflaws Level 1

Hi,

I have Pemier elements 8.

I tried again to get the PDF's mentioned and linked to on the help menu for the product in the help viewer and in the product quick start insert in the package and again they were not found. Altogether I found several links to Adobes web site offering the PDF for help but its never found and these links seem to all be bad.

It is unbelievable that they could have such gross errors like that. The booklet packaged in the retail version lists these PDF's as the first place to go for help so I cant be alone in my frustration.

The help function on the product does not work and times out. The only way I could learn about the product is with the help viewer which I found by accident.

Adobe has not responded to my issue and I have lost my desire to try the product.

I have a few video editors like Sony Vegas and Pinnacle Studio and they work fine and have actual help and manual pdfs that work so my boss says I can not waste much more time with it.

We will return it for a refund. We spend big bucks at Officemax so they will refund I think.

We will write the HQ of OfficeMax advising them that we think they should not sell the product until Adobe can provide better support.

The store where we got it now says they got a lot of others with same issue so its not just us. Maybe if Adobe gets a lot of returns and angry distributors they will get the support system working better or at least the PDF links working.

• 3. Re: Whats up with help?
              i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Hi,

Do you mean you press F1 from inside PRE 8 and the help does not launch? It works fine for me though. It launches in the Internet Explorer. Can you check if you are connected to the Internet? It seems that on first launch it will launch in a browser and if you have the Help viewer, it will download the Help content to your hard drive while you are connected to the Internet.

Also, once the content is downloaded, you can even disconnect from the Internet and the content will be displayed in the Help viewer!

I would suggest: check you net connection and what browser you have?

• 4. Re: Whats up with help?
                nealeh Level 5

Nothing.

productflaws wrote:

I tried again to get the PDF's mentioned and linked to on the help menu for the product in the help viewer and in the product quick start insert in the package and again they were not found. Altogether I found several links to Adobes web site offering the PDF for help but its never found and these links seem to all be bad.

my boss says I can not waste much more time with it.

We will return it for a refund. We spend big bucks at Officemax so they will refund I think.

For the benefit of those users who may have similar problems, but wish to continue working with the product, the following two links work. If they don't examine your security settings (firewall,  anti-virus, anti-spyware, browser settings etc ...) because it is something at your end that is blocking access. In a corporate environment there may be a central IT managed security blocking access without your knowledge.

Online Help:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/index.html

PDF Manual Download:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/premiereelements_8_help.pdf

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Whats up with help?
                  nealeh Level 5

productflaws wrote:

<snip>

I think the fact that screens can not be minimized or sized

The following is from PRE7 but I believe PRE8 to be the same. From the Window Menu select "Show Docking Headers". With the headers shown you can then drag individual windows out of the main workspace and individually resize them. In the following I have undocked the various task windows:

PRE_Resize.jpg

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Whats up with help?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I am wondering if the PDF's are contained on the installation disc, and are not installed with the program. This is common for many programs. In those, one can use the Internet link to view the PDF's on a server, or can install the PDF's from the installation disc for reading with Acrobat Reader. I do not have PrE 8, and PrE 4 (my version) had the old-style Help files.

Just curious,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Whats up with help?
                      productflaws Level 1

Thanks for the replys.

I Dream,

Even with an internet connection F1 never worked. Tried firewall and no luck as well. Very strange. Since the pdf's from the Adobe site wont work either I thought it might be an Adobe server issue but its been several days now.

Nealeh,

Both the PDF links you gave do not work- have you tried them recently?

I was taking about max min of the application itself- not the windows withing the app. With my install it wont let me control the window size of the app or the help viewer for that matter. This seems odd and it prevents having help viewer and Pre-8 open side by side meaning constant togling which is irritating.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Whats up with help?

Productflaws,

Are you not even able to directly click this link ? http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/index.html

What message do you see when you click this link? If you are not even able to open it directly, then I am sure it has something to do either with your internet connection or your browser settings, since this is like any other link on the web!!!

• 9. Re: Whats up with help?
                          productflaws Level 1

Hunt,

I browsed the discs for those PDF's but did not see them. I will look again.

I wonder if it is a production defect? I called the store to ask about returning it and the manager told me he had got 2 other calls saying the product did not work as well. Dont know those reasons however.

I tried all the links for PDFs given by Nealeh or on the insert in the product and on Adobes web site such as the link on the top of help viewer Pre-8 page and none of them still work- they just time out and say file not found.

I can get other  PDFs from other sites so its not my reader.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Whats up with help?

Also, the application can be minimized and you can drag it to whatever size you want from the edges of the application, like you'd do with any other windows app...

• 11. Re: Whats up with help?

Productflaws,

Since the PDF is hosted online, you won't find them on the disc. Its not a production fault.

• 12. Re: Whats up with help?
                                productflaws Level 1

Yes that page comes up fine but if you try the link on the top of the page for the help PDF it does not work.

• 13. Re: Whats up with help?
                                  productflaws Level 1

I can not change the window size by dragging the corner on both the application or even this help viewer. I can do this with all my other applications with no problem. The min max button has no effect at all other than cause the screen to blink. This only happens with this Adobe issue.

• 14. Re: Whats up with help?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As of 7:16AM AZT, on 11/18, both of Neale's links work fine on my system, over cable modem, but down to the laptop via wireless g. They load quickly and completely.

There has to be something on your end that is killing access to the Adobe.com site. Do you have any pop-up blockers, like StopZilla? These types of programs will blacklist almost all sites, until the user puts them on a "friends" list, or similar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Whats up with help?

On the html page for Help, do you see the size of the PDF? It says 23 MB on mine and I am able to open it as well as download it.ARe you not able to right click and save the PDF also?

Also, the HTML page has the same content as the PDF, so in case you are facing any issues in downloading the PDF, you can read up the content from the HTML itself.

For the minimize issue: What operating system are you using? Since you are able to do it with all other apps, this should work as well...

• 16. Re: Whats up with help?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        I browsed the discs for those PDF's but did not see them.

Sorry that they were not there. That was just a guess on my part, as many Adobe programs do have the "manual" as .PDF's on the installation discs. If the program has Web-based Help, the files are basically just for backup, or reading when there is no Internet link. Thanks for checking.

As for your connection issues, can you click and launch this LINK? That's www.adobe.com.

Just curious. Also, see my question on pop-up blockers above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Whats up with help?
                                          productflaws Level 1

The first thing I did when I encountered this problem was look at pop-up blocking and browser permissions. I also will try in FF and safari to see what happens. My present normal browser is IE8, but I have not encountered a problem like this before.

Also, Is the help viewer not in essence a browser by Adobe since it functions independently of my browser, launches on it own, and no normal browser controls are present other that their preferences button in the upper right.

Just checked a bunch of other apps and they all min/max and can drag size ok so it is only the Adobe help viewer and Pre8 that have this issue on my system.

2.6 g processor 3 gig ram XP sp3.

I can try this on another machine or maybe un-isnstall/re-install on this one.

• 18. Re: Whats up with help?

Yes, the help viewer is an independent browser and should not depend on your browser or anything.

So the issue is: You are able to open the HTML link in your IE browser. You are not able to open or download the PDF in your IE browser.

You are not able to open anything in the Adobe Help viewer. Is that correct?

• 19. Re: Whats up with help?
                                              nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

productflaws wrote:

I browsed the discs for those PDF's but did not see them.

Sorry that they were not there. That was just a guess on my part, as many Adobe programs do have the "manual" as .PDF's on the installation discs. If the program has Web-based Help, the files are basically just for backup, or reading when there is no Internet link.

On the PRE7 disk there IS the complete manual (good call Hunt). On my PC the path is: "D:\English\User Documentation\Adobe Premiere Elements Help.pdf" where D: is the drive containing the program. If this folder does not exist for PRE8 that is rather sloppy of Adobe.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale

• 20. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                productflaws Level 1

I can not open that PDF from the adobe help viewer- that is correct.

I am off to a meeting now but in a few hours I will try getting that PDF using another browser-another machine on a different connection, and if all else fails I may try a re-install.

I will report back later today with the results.

• 21. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                  My present normal browser is IE8,

FWIW, I am on IE 7.5. Now, John T. Smith, IIRC, posted several articles on IE8 and issues with Adobe programs. This was when IE8 first was introduced. These were posted to either the PrPro, or the Encore forum about 9-12 mos. ago. I do not recall the issues, or if there were any workarounds. At that time, many rolled back to IE 7.x and the problems ceased. Do not recall if any involved Help though. Wish that my memory was better. John frequents this forum, so he might recall the issues with clarity and can point to his articles.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                    nealeh Level 5

productflaws wrote:

Nealeh,

Yes. I checked them both out before making the post.

productflaws wrote:

I was taking about max min of the application itself- not the windows withing the app. With my install it wont let me control the window size of the app or the help viewer for that matter. This seems odd and it prevents having help viewer and Pre-8 open side by side meaning constant togling which is irritating.

That is certainly an odd behaviour. Works fine in PRE7. Double-check though that the application is NOT maximised when you try to move it - the Adobe custom markers are not as clear as standard Windows. In the image following the maximized window is shown:

PRE_Resize2.jpg

Even when you click to change the state to 'window' PRE7 remains in the same position, so it may not be immediately obvious that you CAN drag the edges to resize. I'm very surprised that you cannot minimize the window. That should work regardless of the window state.

Perplexing,

Cheers,
                                                    --
                                                    Neale

• 23. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                      That is certainly an odd behaviour. Works fine in PRE7. Double-check though that the application is NOT maximised when you try to move it - the Adobe custom markers are not as clear as standard Windows.

Neale,

I agree about the visibility of the state of the GUI. I know that Adobe went for a "streamlined" look with the GUI, but on my 17" hi-def laptop, it's tough to tell the state of the window. I've trided to size it, only to find that I was Maximized already. Looks cool, until you try to do things like Minimize, Maximize, resize, etc.

Hunt

• 24. Re: Whats up with help?

Do let us know if it  worked for you or not.

Also I would like to point out that re-installing PRE might not help since Adobe Help viewer is a separate program and even the PDF is hosted online. So it has nothing to do with installing PRE.

Try downloading the Help viewer and re-installing it again from the following link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/chc/index.html?helpcfg=http://help.adobe.com/HelpCfg/en_US/Pr emiereElements_8.0_Win.helpcfg&url=http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Us ing/index.html

• 25. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                          productflaws Level 1

Hi,

I was able to use Firefox and Safari to get the PDF from the Adobe site on the same machine but the Adobe help viewer does not work to get the PDF and the F1 help feature still does not work offline or online.

Remember I found the help viewer and downloaded it after the help in the application did not work. It seems to me however that the application should and normally would prompt for or automatically find the viewer. Stranger still is that the viewer status screen says all the help files are downloaded.

Another very interesting thing I noticed is when using the Adobe help viewer that when it tryies to get the PDF that the address that is briefly seen on the bottom bar says HTTP: AND NOTHING ELSE!, so I wonder if the original installation still might not be missing the address or was corrupted somehow.

Never heard from Adobe after 4 days so I am thinking of removing and re-installing the app.  

• 26. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                            productflaws Level 1

2 problems resolved.

The first- maximize minimize, was caused by LCD monitor adjustment causing screen overlap to edge and not allowing draging of app window to smaller size. This is my fault and I should have caught it. Since it was never a problem with other apps maybe Adobe could set the factory min max presets to a smaller one for the minimum so there is a larger difference initially.

Second, getting PDF from adobe site using IE 8 was resolved after downloading reader update from adobe. The latest update to reader 9.2 works and I can get the PDF.

Other browsers worked so it was IE 8. For background I noticed IE8 and reader 7 do not work on another machine so it is possible that others may have IE 8 and an older or unpatched PDF reader. Patching or updating may solve the problem.

Still working on why help menu from F1 in app does not work and will try re-install next.

• 27. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting success on two, out of three, issues. Glad that you got them sorted.

I wish you luck with the F1 issue, and please report on the fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 28. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                                productflaws Level 1

Re-installation solved the help problem. The day I set this up the Adobe site was not responding quickly and at times did not respond on certain links. I wonder if they had a server down or something at the time I was trying to install and if the installation required something from their site such as URL's etc. Only thing I can think of .

Now I have the app running and its much like Pinnacle so its fairly easy to grasp using it and seeing the help-helps.

The downside is it already crashed on me about 5 times with relatively simple operations.

2.2 gig processor, 3 gigs ram, win XP SP2.

Pinnacle runs always without crashing on this machine and if anything is a bit heavier of an application so I wonder why the crashing?

• 29. Re: Whats up with help?
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                  Pinnacle runs always without crashing on this machine and if anything is a bit heavier of an application so I wonder why the crashing?

I've not used Pinnacle Studio much, since 9.4.3, so there have been many changes. Back then - acutally from Studio 7 thru 9 - I learned to do an edit, and then hit Ctrl+S to Save, as the program was going to crash, and probably sooner, rather than later. Like I said, that was then, and we are now. After a stint with Avid Liquid, I moved to PrPro, and have never looked back. My PrE 4 is basically a utility, as it does some file handling that PrPro just flat will not.

Now, this ARTICLE might give you some tips on setting up your computer for NLE work. Actially, much of this came from the Pinnacle days, when just getting it to run was a chore.

Glad that you got Help running, and hope that something above helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Whats up with help?

Glas that your problem is resolved!! I am sure it must be something to do with a faulty installation or similar.