18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 4:47 PM by westonwoodbury

AI into ppro cs4

westonwoodbury Level 1

Hello all,

I have an issue that it seems no one has discussed.. at least I can't find anything on the wide web or here about it.

I'm trying to import .AI files into Premiere, one of the features they like to boast for vector rasterization, alpha, etc etc. (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS74FBAC3A-F651-4f98-A58E-8576504C47CDa.html)

It's not working in Premiere Pro CS4.  I go to import (drag drop, or menu-->import) my .ai file, which is a very small 350 pixel wide logo, and I get:

File Import Failure

/path/path/pathblahblah

Error Message

File video dimension (width/height) too large.

It works fine in CS3.  I seem to remember using it in CS3 and CS4 before without problems.  In CS3, I drag in, no errors, I use on timeline, looks great zero issues.

I've tried making a new fresh project, even at different formats (though this project is standard widescreen).  Tried messing with different things in Illustrator, even making a new project and using it's "NSTC Video" project presents.  The AI it makes still says it's too large in CS4 (but works in cs3).

___

On a second note, I tried to reproduce the error while typing this.

It imports, but the imported file's preview is just a bunch of tearing.  Here are some stills (btw I experimented b/c of the error and made a 150pixel wide AI file):

www.multimediawise.com/TEMP/Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 8.16.19 PM.png

www.multimediawise.com/TEMP/Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 8.16.10 PM.png
      www.multimediawise.com/TEMP/Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 8.17.58 PM.png     (after expose)

www.multimediawise.com/TEMP/Screen shot 2009-11-17 at 8.22.04 PM.png     (cs3)

It does this randomly instead of giving me the too large size  error, I double checked this.

If I timeline and start playing with it, it'll eventually freeze Premiere and close out.

_____

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

____

You know, I've started several projects in CS4 with all the best hopes and intentions, and every time I wind up just reverting down to CS3 to actually get the thing out the door.  I know this particular problem is work aroundable, but hey.. it worked in cs3?  We're devolving.  And where is .pdf support already? Really?

I hate that FCS has better integration with adobe's imaging files, layers, blending modes etc, then Adobe itself's video suite.  I don't like FC.  I'm trying, here. 

Tyler

• 1. Re: AI into ppro cs4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For AI files into PrPro for Video, I strongly suggest that you first Open that AI in PS and let it Rasterize your file. PrPro will Import it, but not so well. PS does a much better job at this, and you will appreciate the difference. That a program can Import a file type does not mean that it does the best job at it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AI into ppro cs4
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Haven't done this (I bring AI to AE routinely) and only have CS3.  (FYI, the help file on line for CS3 did not behave correctly and I couldn't look there, but CS3 help appears the same as to function.)

Are you sure the AI dimension is correct - artboard vs object dimensions?

Have you used the crop marks as described in the help file?  It does not sound necessary, but I wondered.

Try Hunt's method for one image, just to test the issue of dimensions.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: AI into ppro cs4
              westonwoodbury Level 1

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Like I said, I know there are work arounds to this particular problem, which works in ppro CS3 and doesn't in ppro CS4

One option is rasterizing it out in photoshop, as Hunt has mentioned.  Why I like it vector is so that I can animate and play with the file, perhaps bringing it on screen at a huge scale percentage so that the "camera" "moves away" from the object.  This means in photoshop, when I open the .AI, in the rastorization dialogue that it brings up automatically, I'd like a huge DPI so that it rasterizes a very large version of the vector AI, that I can shrink as needed once inside Premiere.

Another option is using Adobe Dynamic Link and importing the .AI there, in After Effects.  After Effects loves layered vector files.  Then I can switch back and forth between the two programs in real time to get the desired effect.  This is probably the more "correct" solution, or more, least prone to problems, as it's AE doing things it's built for, sort of.

I just thought I'd post to make the bug aware to others, and possibly get a solution if there was one.  A simple use (rather than all the animation I'm describing) would be to drop a watermark logo into Premiere that you recieved from graphics as an Illustrator file.  I think this was the intent for the support of the ai files.

__

Stan, yeah, I've played with different artboard, dimension, and crop mark settings.  I gave up and deducted that being the issue beings it's imports right in on CS3.

Both of the above methods have worked for me in both CS versions.

__

Cheerio,

Tyler

• 4. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Why I like it vector is so that I can animate and play with the file, perhaps bringing it on screen at a huge scale percentage so that the "camera" "moves away" from the object.  This means in photoshop, when I open the .AI, in the rastorization dialogue that it brings up automatically, I'd like a huge DPI so that it rasterizes a very large version of the vector AI, that I can shrink as needed once inside Premiere.

Another option is using Adobe Dynamic Link and importing the .AI there, in After Effects.  After Effects loves layered vector files.  Then I can switch back and forth between the two programs in real time to get the desired effect.  This is probably the more "correct" solution, or more, least prone to problems, as it's AE doing things it's built for, sort of.

Tyler,

For the animation, I think that AE would be the way to go. When one imports an AI into PS, the AI Layers are lost.

As I do not have CS4, there could be some new, nifty features in it, but in earlier versions of PrPro, I could not Import AI files with the Layers intact. If you can do so into AE, that would be worth the whole poker match, and my first choice.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                  westonwoodbury Level 1

Hunt,

Agreed, for sure.  The concept of dynamic link with AE is really powerful since it allows you to do whatever AE does inside of PPro without having to export back and forth.  And, you can filter up that dynamic link clip with more effects/motion on the premiere timeline.

However, it's quite the performance killer (I use it to greenscreen key quite often "inside" of premiere, then color correct the clip in premiere, effectively "after" it's been keyed), and it is a little less stable than I'd like it to be.

It has a lot of potential though .

For clarification, no, the layers do not come in in tact in Premiere.  I believe they do in After Effects, cs3 and cs4, I think.  The trick is going into your AI file and breaking up the parts of the illustration into root level layers, so that AE sees them (it only sees 1 layer level deep--no groups, sublayers, etc).  From there, you can have all sorts of fun in AE if you import it as a composition--a continuously rasterized layer independent composition. Very powerful.  As long as it works properly hehe.

Tyler

• 6. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have comments from two users without CS4 (Hunt, CS2 and me, CS3).

Is there anyone out there with CS4 for whom AI import into PR is working?

• 7. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                      Mortimer IOU Level 2

I don't use AI much, but just now I created a simple 800x600 text file, and it imported fine into PPro CS4.

• 8. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jerry.K,

As a quick test, can you Open that AI file in PS, and Save_As .PSD to be Imported into PrPro. I'd like to hear your observations on any differences between using PS as a middle-man in the process.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 9. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                          westonwoodbury Level 1

Interesting.

I'm fully updated to the latest versions of everything, running OSX 10.6.2 .

What platform are you on?

Honestly, for all I know, I could reinstall the software and fix the problem, or maybe it works on 10.5 or something.  Not worth trying atm .

Tyler

• 10. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                            Mortimer IOU Level 2

For this simple project, I see no difference in using Ai or Ps. I would normally choose Ps, but I'm really not familiar with Ai and so cannot judge between the two for more complicated projects.

I did this little test on a Win XP machine.

• 11. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                              dradeke Adobe Employee

Perhaps part of the problem is that many of the images you want are above 4096x4096, which I believe is the maximum size that PRemiere Pro can support.  I can import images in, but some come up with an error message saying 'too big'.

converting to PSD does make sense but I agree that it's an extra step.

Dennis

• 12. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                westonwoodbury Level 1

Dennis,

I wish it was :/ .  Unfortunately, the image I wanted to put in 340x100, and I played with images that were anywhere from 800x600 to 100x <100 trying to figure it out, with the same results.

Something is funky with my particular setup or install that apparently no one else has, because even when I do get it to import (which works randomly), the image looks like it does in my preview screenshots originally posted (tearing of whatever was on top of it on my screen--not the image).  If I do any sort of editing with these imports, it performs incredibly sluggishly until finally locking up and crashing.

Tyler

• 13. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Tyler,

Can you post a sample file for me to play with?  I want to see if I can repro the problem you're having.

Dennis

• 14. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                    westonwoodbury Level 1

Dennis,

I've sent you a private message with a link to download.

These are the actual files giving me the problems.  On my system (8c macpro), all of them import happily into ppro cs3, and have the issues I've mentioned throughout this thread importing into ppro cs4.

Tyler

• 15. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                      dradeke Adobe Employee

Here's what I get on 10.6.2 MBP.

1) first try to bring in .ai.  successful.  double click to load into source and I get a mess of my desktop background as part of the view.  Close Premiere Pro and reopen.  Repeat and I get an error saying it's too big.  Clearing prefs allows me to reproduce this error again...seems like a bug and I will submit (though you should too).

2) saving the file as an .eps seems to bring it in fine for me.  Give it a try and tell me what you find.

Dennis

• 16. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                        dradeke Adobe Employee

...and now the darndest thing.

It works fine upon trying it again.

Dennis

• 17. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          It works fine upon trying it again.

Dennis,

Don't you just love computers?

What you did to get it to work correctly: tilt your head left - no, a little more left. Now, do the "jiggly dance." Remember, clockwise - clockwise. Blow the incense smoke towards San Jose. Yes, THAT San Jose. OK, now click the mouse button - success!!!!

Thanks for trying. Not sure what that last development means, but please share it with us, when you get it sorted out.

Hunt

BTW - I would not have thought to try EPS. Interesting.

• 18. Re: AI into ppro cs4
                                            westonwoodbury Level 1

Dennis,

Following the same steps you did, the same results happened. (expect that I can't get it to work upon trying again!)

The illustrator EPS does indeed come in smoothely.  Nice to know .

I'll submit he bug findings as well,

Thanks,

Tyler