16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 5:53 AM by Coco2505

Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem

APK-1

A.T. Romano

Attached is my MP4 video from my Sanyo Xacti. When I perform a "Get Media" in Premiere Elements 8 I only see red cells in the timeline, task panel and playback monitor were red. No video images would display, only sound. Any Ideas?

Thanks APK

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
          A.T. Romano Level 7

APK-1

I just downloaded the Sanyo video and will start checking it immediately.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
            A.T. Romano Level 7

APK-1

I cannot confirm your findings with my Premiere Elements 8 (Windows XP Professional, SP3).

I brought your video into Premiere Elements 8 from the saved hard drive location, using Premiere Elements 8's Get Media/Files and Folders. At that time, an Activation Component message appeared at the lower right hand corner of the screen, followed by a rapid component activation.

When the video was dragged to the Timeline from the media and played back in the Edit Mode Monitor, the video quality and hue were normal and the audio quality was also good. Toward the end of the video, the wall area looked a little light pink, and I was not sure if that was a cast or the effect of the video lighting. But, colors for the background, skeleton, pumpkin, and everything else were as would be expected for those objects and looked like true colors. The Premiere Elements 8 Effects/Video Effects/Adjust/Channel Mixer effect took care of any light pink wall casts by lowering the Red-Red slider a little under the Channel Mixer Edit Effects.

Since Adobe documents say that the latest version of QuickTime is required for mp4, I should include that I have QuickTime version 7.64.17.73 installed on my computer with Premiere Elements 8. Other computer players are: Windows Media Player (version 10) and GOM Player (version 2.1.21.44.46).

We have lots to explore, which include the mp4 activation process and the QuickTime version. I think that we have already ruled out the setting of "Enable GPU Playback" in Edit Menu/Preferences/General. In the activation message there is a note about "some information" being exchanged. Is it possible that your computer system is interfering with this "some information" exchange and thus leaving you with an incomplete mp4 activation???? For that matter, did you ever see this activation message when you brought your first mp4 into Premiere Elements 8? I will look into this angle as well as others to gauge the situation.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
              APK-1 Level 1

ATR

I have attached new short video recorded with the Sanyo Xacti in HD-SHQ format. I imported it in Premiere Elements 8 and it produces the red cells.

APK

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                A.T. Romano Level 7

APK

SANY0002.MP4

According the gspot utility

Video Codec = MPEG-4 Video

Frame Size: 1280 x 720

Frame Rate: 29.97 frames per second

Sar = .1778 (16:9)

Par = 1:1

Dar = 1.778 (16:9)

Audio Codec = MPEG-4 AAC LC

48000 Hz 128 kb/s tot, stereo (2/0)

Premiere Elements 8 Import/Playback

SANY002.MP4 original. Video and Audio imported, but video presented as a bright red matte, but audio was fine.

SANY002.MP4 with file extension changed to .AVI. Video and Audio imported, but video presented as black video, but audio was fine.

Conversion Workaround Solution

Convert file to DV AVI widescreen (720 x 480 with 16:9 flag)

MPEG Streamclip (free MPEG Streamclip + QuickTime Alternative 1.81 (with free MPEG2 Playback Component) and uninstall regular QuickTime OR free MPEG Streamclip, leave your regular QuickTime installed, and buy the required Apple MPEG2 Playback Component)

http://www.squared5.com/

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

MPEG Streamclip suggested settings:
                File Menu/Open, to bring in your video
                File Menu/Export to AVI
                Then in AVI/DivX Explorer dialog:
                Compressor: Apple DV/DVCPRO-NTSC
                Sound: Uncompressed
                Put a dot next to 720 x 480 (DV NTSC)
                Field Dominance: Lower Field First
                Up at top right, click on Options, set there for Aspect Ratio = 16:9.
                Only if necessary, put a check mark next to Deinterlace Video.
                Anything that I did not mention, leave as is.
                Finally, click on Make AVI and the job is done quickly and effectively.

This gave great results with your video, and this DV AVI version worked well video and audio wise in Premiere Elements 8.

Your could use the free Prism Video Converter, but the free version is limited to 4:3, and some export types are only available in the purchased version.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Prism suggested settings:

Output format = .avi

Encoder Options = DV Encoder NTSC (Direct Show)

Edit Option = check mark next to Resize Video; uncheck Constrain Proportions; set for 720 x 480.

You could also get a .wmv version from this software. Look into that if you decide to use this converter instead of MPEG Streamclip which is my favorite.

There are lots to explore with your original HD MPEG-4 and its problems with Premiere Elements 8. At one point I had this video on a jump drive. When I went to import the video into Premiere Elements 8 from this jump drive, the Media Downloader was triggered. In the intermediate part of this process, a thumbnail of the video being exported is shown in the Media Downloader Advanced dialog. Interestingly, the thumbnail in the Media Downloader showed the video clearly, but once it got into the Premiere Elements 8 media area—bright red matte looking image in Organizer thumbnail and in the Edit Mode Monitor once the video was dragged to the Timeline.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

APK

Just to recap....your Sanyo video that you sent was SD MPEG4, and I had no problems working with it in Premiere Elements 8.

However, this latest Sanyo video sample was HD MPEG4, and I ran into the red video with OK audio. My suggested conversion workarounds for this issue were just described by me in the previous post.

On my Windows XP Professional SP3, I have Premiere Elements 4 and 7 as well as Premiere Elements 8 installed. And, I use one at a time. I just made an interesting discovery. Whereas I could not work with that HD MPEG4 in Premiere Elements 8, I had NO PROBLEMS working with it in Premiere Elements 4 and 7. So, what is so different about Premiere Elements 8 in this regard????

To be continued.....

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I just made an interesting discovery. Whereas I could not work with that HD MPEG4 in Premiere Elements 8, I had NO PROBLEMS working with it in Premiere Elements 4 and 7. So, what is so different about Premiere Elements 8 in this regard????

An interesting turn of events, indeed!

I'll be curious as to what you discover. This is like a good Sherlock Holmes novel, with plot twists all around.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

The thing that drove me up the wall on this one was that, when I had the HD MPEG4 on a USB Flash Drive (aka Jump Drive) and brought the video into Premiere Elements 8 via its Media Downloader, the Media Downloader did indeed show the image of the video's first frame represented in the thumbnail in the Media Downloader Advanced dialog. But, once you hit "get media" there, you were hit by the Premiere Elements 8 Organizer with a bright red matte showing in the video's thumbnail there. And, when you dragged the video from the Organizer to the Timeline, you had the bright red matte in the Edit Mode Monitor and could get playback of the red matte and its great audio.

Unfortunately in version 8, I did not have the Premiere Elements 7 Playback Settings with Desktop Display = Compatible or Standard options (do not know if it would be the difference), just had that one and only Premiere Elements 8 "Enable GPU Playback" under Edit Menu/Preferences.

It will be interesting to see if there will be an answer for this one or whether we will be left with workarounds, such as

1. Use Premiere Elements 7 or 4 instead

2. Convert this Sanyo HD MPEG4 to DV AVI Widescreen with MPEG Streamclip.

At this point, I am not sure if this issue extends to video from cameras other than Sanyo.

To be continued....

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                        Sjokomelk Level 2

As I wrote in a different thread with a similar problem ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/2335268 ), I tried renaming the extension of the MP4 files that didn't work into .qt instead.

That worked fine for me and at least one other person.

Maybe that will make it work for you as well? I tested with the files you attached here and I got it to work here at least.

I did install Apple Quicktime 7.6.5 prior to testing though, so if it doesn't work it could be that you don't have quicktime installed.

<br />

Sjokomelk

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Thank you for the comprehensive report on this.

Yes, it would be good to know if the behavior is unique to the Sanyo, or if it extends to other mfgrs'. cameras too.

Thanks for the time to test and to report.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sjokomelk

I just saw your other thread on this matter and tried the .mp4 to .qt for APK's high definition video that I had test previously. IT WORKED so that the video in Premiere Elements 8 displayed without red video.

I am currently working on another issue of red video for 1280 x 720 with file extension .mpg and video codec MPEG2 and tried the same file extension renaming, .mpg to .qt. IT DID NOT WORK. I got a Premiere Elements 8 message "Add Media Failure - The importer reported a generic error."

This current study that I am doing suggests a fundamental problem with the importer and 1280 x 720 with wrapper format, but I need to do a lot more work before I can firm up any conclusions.

Thanks for the .qt in this APK's situation.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Good Morning Hunt,

I suspect that our posts today got out of sync.

I wanted also to say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year".

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                                Coco2505

Just wanted to say thank you for this post on the "red screen" prob

lems!  I have recently bought Premiere Elements 8 and also use the San

yo Xacti camcorder!  I was goin

g mad as i could not understand why i couldn't see my video but could hear the audio OK.  I have tried your solution with the change of extension and bingo!  You have just made my day!

Merry xmas to you and your family.

Coco

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Coco

I am glad that Sjokomelk's .mp4 to .qt file name change corrected the issues with your Sanyo video editing in Premiere Elements 8. The Sjokomelk solution to the problem was a major contribution for which we are all grateful.

Special thanks also to APK for bringing up the issue in the first place. It is in making people aware of the problem, in discussing the problem, in sharing possible workarounds, and in returning with feedback that we all succeed in our video editing projects with Premiere Elements.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                                    Sjokomelk Level 2

If you can attach a sample here, maybe more people can give it a go.

I do not know if this will work, but have you tried renaming it to maybe .vob (although it is a container for dvd files it is using mpeg2) or simply just .mpeg (instead of .mpg)? If you know that the media player can play the video, there is a problem with Premiere Elements 8 choosing the right codec.

At least that was my approach to this problem. I knew the media player could play the files I had a problem with, since the right decoder was in the system it was just a matter of having the right decoder decode the video, by renaming the extension you are having the program use a different codec.

Renaming the extension for files might not work for other codec problems than mp4 though. Only reason that I believe the .mp4 to .qt solution works is that  Premiere elements would try using the quicktime library of codecs. To be able to get your mpeg2 files to work I believe you need to find an extension which is using a different decoder.

If you upload a small sample here though maybe more people can test it to see if it works and can test different things.

Merry Christmas and happy hollidays!

<br />

Sjokomelk

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sjokomelk

Thanks for the follow up suggestions. Here is some updated information.

With the MPEG2 1280 x 720 in question, changing the file extension from .mpg to try to escape Premiere Elements 8 red video:

.qt, did not work

.mpeg, did not work

.vob, did not work

.avi DID WORK!

I will follow up later (maybe today) with some more information and background on how that MPEG2 1280 x 720.mpg came into being in the first place.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

ATR

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8 & MP4 video problem
                                        Coco2505 Level 1

I am very grateful for that solution.  I also solved a different problem via the forum when premier elements wouldn't recognise my DVD writer and found out that I could burn to folder instead and use Ashampoo 2010 burning suite to do the physical burning part.  I am still trying to get my head round the capabilities of the program but I suppose practice makes perfect!

Coco