3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 5:59 AM by mentlity

Exporting an swf as an animated .gif the correct way?

mentlity Level 1

I have read all kinds of posts on this, most are old from back in the early 00's. I have some flash banners that I made that need .gif back ups and I find myself pretty screwed if I can't do this. I tried exporting an .swf thru the publishing settings in Flash and no matter which setting I choose the gifs are pixelated and very bad quality. I just finished reading a post where it said to use the file - export from the menu which I did use and the quality is much better but nothing near acceptable for the client. I also read to export the swf to Quicktime and QT can convert to animated gif so while I look at that option is there someone that can point me in the right direction as this could spell trouble for me if I cannot come up with a solution as I have multiple swfs that need to go through Google analyctics and need the gif back ups.

thx

rder

• 1. Re: Exporting an swf as an animated .gif the correct way?
          mentlity Level 1

NO! please, tell me that someone will have a solution! I cannot believe that anyone who does Flash banners does not know a solution to this, I'll try again.

If I have various flash banners and i need animated .gifs made, how do I do this?

this maybe a stupid question bur please bare with me as I need to know what do do here!

anybody?????

rderf

• 2. Re: Exporting an swf as an animated .gif the correct way?
            mentlity Level 1

Can ANYBODY! please answer this? You mean to tell me that NO ONE has ever asked this???????

How the hell can I convert an .swf to an animated .gif?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm In OSX no windows

no windows

no windows

everything for this is windows

no windows no windows

OS X

OS X

frustrating the hell out of me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3. Re: Exporting an swf as an animated .gif the correct way?
              mentlity Level 1

After spending hours losing my hair finding an answer, I found that there is no answer. reality is that Flash (at least CS3) has an export to gif feature but this is a waste as the gifs are horrible quality. Publishing as is no better so that closes the door doing it that way, so on and on I went searching and saw a post that Quicktime can do this, so I publish as a QT file and then export QT file (in QT) as an image sequence. It worked but it delivers each frame so the longer file you have the more frames. Useless to me, so in 2009 as far as I see there is NO WAY you can convert an swf to an animated .gif if you are on a Mac. Go ahead and search for OS X swf to .gif and you will see tons of misleading adds and then when you open each you see they are all .exe files and you know what that means!

So, thank god I have a pc as well and found about 100 apps all kinds from freeware to sharewrae that will convert swfs to animated gifs (IF YOU HAVE A PC)

rdfer