17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 11:42 PM by AndrewND

Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.

AndrewND

Hi, I'm Andrew, I appreciate you taking the time to look over this, as I know how forums like this get one post users from time to time. Hopefully I will not be like that and will be able to develope and contribute.

I'm a student, I got the Production Premium pack just yesterday, spanked it onto my new dell...running an Intel i7 processor, Windows 7 64 bit, Intel Sound, Nvidia Graphics GT220, and such and so forth.

Everything has worked great, but I captured video today, edited it, and rendered. All of my renders take the video and jack up the brightness and take out the contrast making it look terrible. I double checked my monitor, and it defintely looks different in the project than it does in the render on my computer screen. I tried multiple codecs to no success. I burned a DVD and it still looked bad.

I then took other video files I had on my computer, just random stuff, not stuff I had captured, and it still jacked up the brightness on those.I'm at a loss, everything is default. I tried updating but it says it can't connect (possible firewall/server issues...that's yet to be resolved).

Inside the project in Premier it looks good, exported to After Effects it looks good, in the render preview in after effects and the encoder it looks good, but no matter what it ends up way to bright with no contrast.

Even if I turn the brightness way down to look like the dead of the night, the rendered preview makes it look gray and disgusting. I've rendered about a dozen things to absolutely no success. I'm used to CS2 at the school looking exactly as I had just seen it. I don't know if there's an installation error, and maybe just sending it all outta there woudl help.

Is it also possible that it's a graphics card error?

• 1. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

By any chance are these all Quicktime exports?

• 2. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
            AndrewND Level 1

Mpeg 4, Mpeg 2, AVI, AVI uncompressed, I tried lots, and all before I had quiktime. So I installed quicktime, and it did the same thing...I specifically did an Mpeg 2 for Quicktime, and still the same.

Are you assuming Quicktime is the problem or the fix?

• 3. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Are you assuming Quicktime is the problem or the fix?

Most of the time it is the first.

How does it look on a properly calibrated monitor? A computer screen is not good to judge colors and contrast.

• 4. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                AndrewND Level 1

The monitor isn't the problem.

In premier it looks good, export it and play in quicktime/windows media and it looks bad, also burned to a disc it looks bad.

But I can take that same file, and put it back into premier, and it looks fine.

So It's a matter of the program....because on the same monitor, same source, it looks different between the programs.

Bottom line, it always looks good INSIDE the program, but the second that it leaves premiere, it looks bad.

Edit. But yeah, if it wasn't clear, I've burned to a disc and played it through a PS3 on my home television, and at school on a projector, and they all had the same effect. I can assure you with all confidence, it's not the monitor.

• 5. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Let me attempt to clairify your problem.   You said after rendering it looks bad.  Yet later you said it always looks good inside premiere.  The statements seem to contridict one another.

So; Im assuming by "rendering", you meant encoding and exporting.

In that case provide the following:

Type of source media and how you aquired it:

Project Preset you used for this media:

Exact Export settings you used and how the DVD was encoded:

Did you export to any other form beside DVD and have the problem?  Is so what:

These specifics will help a great deal.

• 6. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                    AndrewND Level 1

I know, the problem seems rediculous. I took Mini DV 720 by 480 and captured it to avi, same resolution. Inside of premier, the colors appear normal, and in after effects the colors appear normal. When I render/encode to any format, to any location, i.e. destop, or whatver, the image looses all contrast and the brightness is blown out of proportion.

It's not really a matter of the DVD or anything. I used Windows DVD to burn the disc, and it accurately placed the "finished" footage on the disc. In other words, the final AVI file that the Adobe Encoder gave me, was correctly burned to the disc. It's just that file itself which is the problem.

I've even taken the encoded/edited/rendered file, and put it back into premier, and the image looks normal again, like my source tape. So, you may think, drop the brightness down (so that the image is almost hard to see), so I do, and then encode it, and the finished product is darker than the last encoded file, but it obviously glazed over it with a sheen of bright grey.

It's like Adobe Premier is displaying the correct image, but anything else won't. But I'm not doing anlything else that's too out or the ordinary.

• 7. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

Please answer my specific questions.  And I'll add one:  Have you installed any codec packs on your PC?

• 8. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I've even taken the encoded/edited/rendered file, and put it back into premier, and the image looks normal again

That's pretty good evidence that there's nothing actually wrong with the export.  Either your media player is messing things up for computer viewing, or Windows DVD Maker is messing up when it creates the DVD.  Or perhaps both.  It's very difficult to tell what's happening if you're not monitoring on a properly calibrated TV, which is the only correct way to do so.

• 9. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                          AndrewND Level 1

Except I've taken files that look fine, put them in premier and encoded them again, just to try it, and then it makes it look too washed out again.

I'm gonna put stuff on you tube and another computer, just to see. Otherwise, I'm just gonna re-install everything. The burner, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player, and the Zune player all play the same washed out crap. It's driving me nuts. .

• 10. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm gonna put stuff on you tube and another computer, just to see.

That may not resolve the issue.  You need a properly calibrated TV for quality control.  Only once you have that will you know for sure even IF there is a problem with the export.  Because so far, all the information you've presented suggests there isn't, and that you're just not seeing it right.  You need that calibrated TV to see it right.  Once you know for sure there is a problem, then a solution can be searched for.

• 11. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm just gonna re-install everything...Quicktime...and the Zune player

Leave those out if you do a wipe and reinstall.

• 12. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                                AndrewND Level 1

If it was the monitor, calibrated or not, then the file shoudl look the same in every player...but it doesn't.

So it's not the monitor.

I can have a perfectly good file that looks fine as it always did play fine it windows media player. I can put it into premier, re-encode it as an AVI, play it in Windows Media player...and it now looks washed out compared to before on the same monitor, in fact I can play them side by side and there's an obvious difference.

It's not the monitor.

I'm not even talking a slight difference, I'm seeing vibrant blue skies to a overblown solid white backround horizone line and up.

• 13. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

Quicktime, and Windows Media Player, and the Zune player all play the same washed out crap "stuff".

Remember, different players handle different footage differently.

Now, you Export to Encore and burning is another issue. Curt Wrigley, author of the two lates CiaB books for PrPro, has asked some questions. I'd look into those, prior to an uninstall/reinstall binge. There might be an easy answer to your issues, but without all of the info, it's hard to tell.

Good luck, and please see Curt's posts. There are some necessary questions there. Might save you a lot of unnecessary work. At least I am hoping so.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    If it was the monitor, calibrated or not, then the file shoudl look the same in every player...but it doesn't.

No. Each player can be very different. Some see certain pull-downs, and others ignore them. Some allow for different gamma settings, and some just "wing-it."

Also, there are tons of variables with Video. It's not so easy, as with print work, where one uses Spyder, OnEye, or similar to calibrate the entire workflow. Every step of Video can be littered with pitfalls. A calibrated NTSC CRT monitor will get you close, but then the clients can have all sorts of calibrations, from factory to goodness knows what, and we have zero control.

Again, please look upthread and see Curt's posts with some questions. They can be very important. Your Encore burn puzzles me, and I think that it does the same for Curt. That should be really close to what you see in PrPro. If not, things are going on. He's trying to define those things.

Good luck, and please see Curt's posts.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                                      AndrewND Level 1

It's not the monitor.

Be it WMP, be it Quicktime, be it whatever, it's not the monitor.

The same washed out finished product looked exactly the same on the dvd on both a PS3 with 1080p tv, to an old projector attached to an old DVD player at school as it did on my computer with said monitor.

Sure, slight changes, but still the same kind of ugly.

It's not the monitor.

It's some kind of difference in Premier to the encoder, or the players or something, or some kind of weird bug. For the last time though, trust me, it's not the monitor. In fact, the monitor's gamma was up to high, and I figured that early on and I managed to match the original footage to itself through the camera.

Even if it was the monitor, how do I get it to look decent? There is no way because play with the color and brightness gets and ugly output no matter what, because you can't even guess what it'll look like. Premier and After Effects are pretty much rendered useless to me at this point, and I keep getting told it's the monitor. It's not. I've done 100 things to check that.

• 16. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                                        AndrewND Level 1

Okay.

Different direction.

As many of you have theorized, it's the other things, not the Adobe stuff, that is not working.

I was playing around, and noticed some other videos that I hadn' tried looking abnormally bright.I uploaded to youtube, and yeah, quality sucks, but the colors look much better. So...huh, some how, my brand new Windows 7 computer is playing media functions way too bright, Windows Media, Zune Player, and Quicktime look terrible.

However, I put a video on my Zune HD, looks good on there, looks good through the Zune HD to my Xbox as well. The you tube video looks good color wise, and everything else is fine. So..at the core of the situation, the Adobe stuff is good. When I burned my DVD earlier using Windows however it looked bad, and I need to find out if Encore will do it right. I just miss the days when Premier would shoot it to the DVD cause as of now I havent' figured Encore out yet.

So I feel better, appreciate the help. But I still have a problem.

• 17. Re: Adobe Encoder Making Footage too Bright.
                                          AndrewND Level 1

Well, Case closed.

I don't know why, but I just reinstalled windows and everything, and it works fine now.I was tweakin out because this is a brand new Dell....

Got it back up, installed the drivers, and windows media plays the files now as adobe was before. Hmmmmm.