5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 7:20 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

'Emerge' text preset - looks nothing like preview - wasting my time?

darrylhutchison

Hi there,

I have read the advice here and on Creative Cow about the importance of a stroke in using this preset. 

But even tweaking the stroke and preset parameters this effect seems to look very little like its preview in bridge.  It appears to lack anything that controls the more organic 'emerging' of each individual letter that can be seen looking at the preview in more detail.

If I am missing something I would love to hear about it - alternatively maybe I should just accept the effect isnt what it is cut out to be and try to achieve it some other way?  Any suggestion much appreciated!

thanks,

D

• 1. Re: 'Emerge' text preset - looks nothing like preview - wasting my time?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Darryl: From the tests I just performed, it seems like this text animation preset will only look like the thumbnail preview in Bridge, when the stroke color is exactly the same as the background color (or if you have something else underneath, the same color as that element). If you're compositing it directly on top of video footage, for example, it will never look like it does in the preview.

So, if you have black background color or a black lower third graphic (as an example), set the text stroke color to black.

• 2. Re: 'Emerge' text preset - looks nothing like preview - wasting my time?
            darrylhutchison Level 1

Thanks so much for clearing this up Adolfo. 

Finally it looks like the preset! (and compositing onto video or otherwise could always be achieved with some sort of pre-render / alpha-channel setting / blending mode solution).  I will be sure to pass on your observations to the various other AE forum boards that had given up on this one. 

Thanks again! ;o)

• 3. Re: 'Emerge' text preset - looks nothing like preview - wasting my time?

Mmm... Unfortunately, I don't think any post-render blend magic will help, as the emerge preset doesn't really make things emerge... it looks that way because the stroke is inflated, and since it's using the same color as the background, it seems at it's revealing characters as the stroke width goes down. While it won't work on top of video, it can work on top of a supporting, plain color graphic element (such as a lower third) that you place above that video layer.

• 4. Re: 'Emerge' text preset - looks nothing like preview - wasting my time?
                darrylhutchison Level 1

Sorry - was a sort of throwaway comment (as I wasnt sure it was worth elaborating) but as best I can tell if you create the emerging white text animation on a black solid - with a black stroke as you explained - then render out the clip, it could be subsequently composited onto any backdrop using the 'add' blending mode.   

Obviously for black text the process is sort of flipped and 'multiply' would be the way to go.  Any other colours might take a bit more jiggery pokery but the options exist I think.

Its one of the nicer text presets in my opinion so its nice to finally get some use from it! thanks again.

• 5. Re: 'Emerge' text preset - looks nothing like preview - wasting my time?
                  Sorry - was a sort of throwaway comment (as I wasnt sure it was worth elaborating) but as best I can tell if you create the emerging white text animation on a black solid - with a black stroke as you explained - then render out the clip, it could be subsequently composited onto any backdrop using the 'add' blending mode.  

True, in those cases it will work nicely. You don't need to render it out. Just select the text layer and the black solid, Pre-Compose them and assign the blend mode to the Pre-Comp.

Its one of the nicer text presets in my opinion so its nice to finally get some use from it! thanks again.

I am glad it's now working as you expected.