7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 7:01 AM by the_wine_snob

How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?

Itay B. Level 1

I'm learning how to use Premiere Elements 8 from Adobe's official Help document.

I'm currently working through Chapter 9, "Applying transitions", section "Transition basics" -> "How transitions work".

I'm interested in knowing whether a given transition has repeated frames.

The Help document says: "To see if a transition is single-sided or double-sided and if it has repeated frames, select it and click Edit Transition in the Transition view of the Task panel to view it in Properties view.".

However, the transition's Properties view doesn't indicate whether the transition has repeated frames (see attached screenshot).

Is there a fast and easy way of knowing whether a transition has repeated frames?

• 1. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, the easiest way is just to look at the clip itself. As it says in my book, you need at least one second of footage beyond your in or out point to build the transition. If you don't have it, the program will repeat a freeze frame to create the transitional segment.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
            Itay B. Level 1

Thank you, Steve.

Your answer seems reasonable enough.

But i wonder what the Help document writers meant when they wrote that is was possible to see whether a transition has repeated frames from the transition's properties view.

• 3. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For me, the easiest way to determine what will happen, say Repeated Frames, is to look at the Clip(s) on the Timeline, before the application of the Transition. If the full Duration of that/those Clip(s) is used, i.e. no Handles, the Head and/or Tail of the Clip will have a litlte "triangle" in the upper corner. These are "Dog ears," and indicate that there are no Handles, i.e. extra Frames in that Clip. Without Handles, there WILL be repeated Frames, and playback will not be smooth. When there are more Frames in the Clip, beyond the In & Out Points, there will be no dog ears. When two Clips, both with dog ears are butted up, it will appear that there is a larger triangle at the upper junction of those Clips, as the dog ears will appear to combine. Note: the dog ears are small, so look carefully.

Now on to Handles. These are "created," when one sets the In & Out Points on the Clip leaving unused Frames in that Clip. When a Transition is applied, those unused Frames are then put to use to allow for mateiral in the Transition. The concept of Handles is a bit abstract at first. They were easier to grasp, when one did A-B Roll editing, where the Clips were on different Tracks, and you had to physically overlap the Clips to do any Transition. The same for working with film - if you did not have the material (Frames), you could not do a Transition. Along with your studies on Transitions, pay special attention to the section on Handles. Once one gets it, it'll be so very easy. Just look for those dog ears, and you'll know that you have no Handles, and will need to reset your In/Out Points to create Handles, as the look of the repeated Frames is not something that most people will like.

I commend you on your studies. Too many do not bother, and run up agaist things like Handles. They then become very frustrated and fight the Transitions. It is so refreshing to see someone, who actually reads the Help files. Please keep it up, and please drop in with any questions.

Happy editing,

Hunt

PS - here's a look at a discussion on Handles:

• 4. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                i wonder what the Help document writers meant when they wrote that is was possible to see whether a transition has repeated frames from the transition's properties view.

I am not aware of any indication of the repeated frames in Transition Control Panel, but might have missed it.

In earlier versions of PrE, and in all versions of PrPro, when one applies a Transition to Clips without the dog ears, i.e. no Handles, a dialog screen pops up instructing that because of the lack of Handles, Frames will be repeated.

Maybe I'll learn something new about the Transition Control Panel here - and it's not even 7:00AM in the desert yet!

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
                  Itay B. Level 1

Thank you for the answer, and for the nice words.

I can't tell with certainty, but i feel your answer is the correct one: I don't think there's any explicit GUI indication that a transition has repeated frames. It must be figured out from the handles or some similar method.

Have a good day in the desert...

• 6. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
                    Itay B. Level 1

Hi again.

It turns out the Help document describes precisely how to tell in advance whether a transition will have repeated frames. It's basically exactly what you said, Hunt:

Determine alignment options

=====================
                    In the Timeline, position the pointer over the cut in a transition and note how the pointer changes:
                    • If both clips contain trimmed frames at the cut, you can center the transition over the cut or align it on either side of the cut so that it either starts or ends at the cut. A clip that has not been trimmed has a rounded edge in the upper-right corner of the clip.
                    • If neither clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically centers over the cut and repeats the last frame of the first clip and the first frame of the second clip to fill the transition duration. (Diagonal bars appear on transitions that use repeated frames.)
                    • If only the first clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically snaps to the In point of the next clip. In this scenario, the first clip’s trimmed frames are used for the transition, and frames are not repeated in the second clip.
                    • If only the second clip contains trimmed frames, then the transition snaps to the Out point of the first clip. In this scenario, the second clip’s trimmed frames are used for the transition, and frames are not repeated in the first clip.

• 7. Re: How to tell whether a transition has repeated frames?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      (Diagonal bars appear on transitions that use repeated frames.)

Thank you for that. I had forgotten to mention that the Transition will show when there were not Handles, or adequate Handles. I was focused on the Transition Control Panel, and that one slipped by me.

I appreciate your study and for adding info that I omitted previously. Note to self: get it ALL, and get it right!

Happy editing,

Hunt

PS - it's interested that the Help file describes the "dog ears" as "rounded corners." Maybe PrE 8 has changed the little icon in the upper corners a bit. In PrPro, they are straight-sided, at least on my my monitors. Maybe a design change? I'll remember to use the "official" description next time. Another thanks.