5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2008 2:54 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problems with Check In/Check Out on a relocated website

andyd273
      We are in the process of moving our website to a new server, and have to keep the old one up until the new one is ready.
      Part of the process is tweaking a few things so that the new site will work on IIS instead of Apache, which means that I had to create a new local directory, copy all of the web pages over to the new directory, and set up a new site definition.

The problem is that check in/check out was enabled on the old site definition.
      I enabled it in the new site definition, and put in the same name and email address, but every time I save a file that I've been working on, it says that the file is checked out by someone else (but shows my name and email), and the check in button is grayed out.

I've tried all kinds of things to try to disable check in completely, and get rid of the problem that way, but no luck.
        • 1. Re: Problems with Check In/Check Out on a relocated website
          yupieyi Level 1
          Is the session got expired before your checkout? Are you over an SSL connection?
          • 2. Re: Problems with Check In/Check Out on a relocated website
            andyd273 Level 1
            Its not a SSL connection.
            The web server is connected to our network using a VPN, so I'm moving files over to it using local network, not FTP.

It seems I may have found the solution to this, in case anyone has the same problem:
            I set the site to remote view, and the Check in/Check out just lit up.
            So I checked the whole site in, restarted dreamweaver, and it seems to be working like it is supposed to... Wierd
            • 3. Re: Problems with Check In/Check Out on a relocated website
              will you please give more information about VPN i am totaly unawaer of it pls send more details
              • 4. Re: Problems with Check In/Check Out on a relocated website
                andyd273 Level 1
                A VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection basically creates a really secure connection between two networks, and join them together.

For instance, I have a network here with several computers, and the web server is on a completely separate network. A VPN is set up between the two networks, so instead of having to ftp into ftp://www.mywebsite.com, I can just go to N:\webroot and copy the files over just as if it was a computer on my local network.

The VPN connection is a little slow compared to a direct cable connection, but it's still really handy to be able to access a remote computer just as if it was in the next room.
                • 5. Re: Problems with Check In/Check Out on a relocated   website
                  Level 7
                  i had pretty much the same problem when i had to recreate a site
                  definition. i'm afraid what you probably have to do is go onto your
                  server and delete all .LCK files (that's what tells DW who has it
                  checked it out, and for some reason if you change the site definition,
                  even on the same computer, and use the same name and email address, it
                  still sees you as a different user). at least that's the only thing i've
                  been able to figure out!

crappy thing is, DW doesn't have a way to search the remote files and
                  locate all of the .LCK files. and my server control panel's file manager
                  only searches in the selected folder, and not the whole site. so i've
                  pretty much just been going onto the server and deleting the .LCK file
                  if i get one of the notifications that someone (me) has the file checked
                  out as i go along, because i can't spend the time going through every
                  folder and deleting all the .LCK files. it's a real pain in the ***!

so if you happen to find a way to search all folders on the server,
                  please let me know! i asked on here if anybody knew of a free ftp
                  program that allowed it, but i got no response. at least not last time i
                  checked. i'll go look now!

andyd273 wrote:
                  > A VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection basically creates a really secure
                  > connection between two networks, and join them together.
                  >
                  > For instance, I have a network here with several computers, and the web server
                  > is on a completely separate network. A VPN is set up between the two networks,
                  > so instead of having to ftp into ftp://www.mywebsite.com, I can just go to
                  > N:\webroot and copy the files over just as if it was a computer on my local
                  > network.
                  >
                  > The VPN connection is a little slow compared to a direct cable connection, but
                  > it's still really handy to be able to access a remote computer just as if it
                  > was in the next room.
                  >
                  >
                  >