19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 6:03 AM by the_wine_snob

How to remove effect presets from a clip?

Itay B. Level 1

I'm learning how to use Premiere Elements 8 from Adobe's official Help document.

I'm currently working through Chapter 10, "Applying effects", section "Working with effect presets" -> "Apply an effect preset".

The Help document doesn't tell how to remove an effect preset you had applied.

I've tried to follow the instructions for removing regular effects, but they don't seem to work in the case of presets.

How can i remove effect presets from a clip?

• 1. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, my book fills in what the Help documens leave out!

Right-click on the clip and select Show Properties to open the Properties panel. Select and delete all effects listed except Image, Motion, Opacity, Volume and Balance. Then right-click on each of these properties and select Reset.

Naturally, it depends a lot of which preset you're trying to remove. But this will eliminate all of the effects on a clip.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
            Itay B. Level 1

Thank you very much. I've tried your suggestion, and it's worked.

I still wonder, though: is there a way to remove a specific preset, the way one removes a specific effect?

For instance, to be concrete, say i've applied the "PIP 40% UR Spin Out Top" preset to a clip, as well as a few other presets and effects.

Can i now easily undo the effect of only the PIP preset, while preserving all the other presets and effects?

Maybe my question is really due to the fact that i don't properly understand the difference between an effect and a preset effect.

• 3. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is no way I know do to this. Sorry.

• 4. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Maybe my question is really due to the fact that i don't properly understand the difference between an effect and a preset effect.

Think of an Effect as adding a blank slate to the Clip. You fill in the details on that slate. For a Preset Effect, much has been filled in on that slate. This keeps one from having to fill in the lines with some commonly used settings - a composite.

BTW - I did not know that there was a limitation on the removal of these, until Steve replied. I seldom use Presets, even for Title animation, as I do that all by hand, and had never noticed. Thanks Steve, for that answer.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                  Itay B. Level 1

Thanks anyway, Steve.

You too, Hunt.

• 6. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                    digitalreply Level 1

Itay,

You have a very valid doubt and most part of it has been already answered by Steve and Hunt.

To add my thoughts, the answer to your question lies in the understanding of what exactly is an Effect preset and what is a PIP.

As very well defined by Hunt, Effect Preset is like a slate on which some lines have already been drawn. In Pre terms, this would mean preset is

an effect(one or more than one) for which keyframing has been done.

For example - when you apply "PIP 40% UR Spin Out Top", it essentially means that you have applied a PIP (which is less of an effect and more of a compositing method), reduced the scale to 40%, moved the clip to Upper Right and added motion(rotation) keyframes - Spin Out Top.

The keyframing can viewed by selecting the "Show Keyframes" in the Properties Panel (Right-click on the clip and select Show Properties). Then expand "Motion" to view position, scale, rotation etc.

To change any of the preset value you can simply modify any of the keyframes. (deleting the keyframes would remove any motion effect which has been added by the preset).

PIP is a compositing terminology which means showing one clip over another. The way I use it is - drag a clip to track V1 and then drag-drop the second clip (which is to be used as PIP) onto the monitor while keeping the "Shift" key pressed, and select "picture in picture" from the menu shown. This adds the video to a track above my initial clip and gives me resizing option.

So when you say you have to remove the PIP from the preset "PIP 40% UR Spin Out Top" what is that you exactly want to do. You can always go to the keframing option and change scale from 40% to 100%, but this would defeat the purpose of adding a PIP.

Please elaborate on your scenario and I am sure we can figure out a way to get it done.

And just to reiterate it is very much possible to selectively add/delete effects from the Properties Panel.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                      Itay B. Level 1

http://forums.adobe.com/people/digitalreplyThank you very much, digitalreply, for the detailed reply.

The details you gave are very helpful.

Unfortunately this is still not quite what i have in mind.

Suppose i've applied several different preset effects to a certain clip.

Now i want to inspect which presets i've applied.

Can i do this? If we were talking about effects rather than about preset effects, it could be accomplished easily, couldn't it?

• 8. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Can i do this? If we were talking about effects rather than about preset effects, it could be accomplished easily, couldn't it?

If I understand what you want to do, then the Effects Control Panel should show you all that you need. When you have a Clip selected, if you click on the Effects tab, you will be taken to the Effects Library. Now, choose Edit Effects and you will get the Effects Control Panel. [Note: the exact names, etc. might be different, depending on your version of PrE.]

In the Effects Control Panel, you will have a list of all Effects applied (plus the fixed Effects, like Motion, Opacity, etc. that are always present). You can twirl open each/all of these, to see the applied parameters, whether you input those parameters, or whether they were part of a Preset Effect. In most, you can alter the parameters, or as Digitalreply points out, alter the associated Keyframes.

As Effects can differ, i.e. some cannot be Keyframed, etc., there might be some, where you will have less, or maybe no input. I do not know my PrE Effects, especially the Preset one, as well as others, as I use PrPro mostly. I'll wager that others can tell you all possible parameters for the ones that can be modified, and also a list of any that cannot be modified.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                          Itay B. Level 1

Thank you, but i'm afraid this is not the answer i was looking for.

I get it that in the effects panel it is possible to inspect and modify individually all the different atomic components (e.g. Motion, Opacity, etc.) that ultimately make up the presets that are in effect. However, is it possible to know the names of the composite presets, like it is possible to know the names of the effects?

• 10. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Most Effects have some Parameters, and some of the Effects Presets also use some of the fixed Effects, like Motion, Scale, etc.

Here is a look at the parameters for one Effect, Channel Mixer. When you click on the little triangle, the parameters expand. Some parameters might even have triangles to open up controls for them, as well.

This is where/how one explores an Effect. Where there are multiple parameters, more of these might need to be opened, as well.

See attached image.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

As for the name of the Effect, it will appear in the Effects Control Panel.

Steve Grisetti also has a really good book on PrE 8. Muvipix Guide to Adobe Premiere 8, available from Amazon, or Muvipix. He covers Effects extensively. I highly recommend is book.

Hunt

• 12. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Hunt, for the forthcoming attitude.

• 13. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Itay,

Is there a particular Effect that you wish to explore more deeply? If I have it (remember I only have PrE 4 and these things do change), I'll be happy to explore it in depth.

Also, remember that in PrE, these Effects are applied at the Clip level. This means that they appear on/attached to the Clip. To explore the Effects on a particular Clip, that Clip must be selected.

In PrPro, some Effects can be applied at a Track level. they can also be applied to many Clips, so long as the Sequence (think mini-Projects inside of a master Project) they are in, is Nested into another Sequence. Then, the Effect (limitation on which ones) is applied to that Nested Sequence, in effect applying it to all Clips in the Nested Sequence. This is utilizing functions that do not exist in PrE.

Another point is that Effects can have different restrictions and limitations. There are not many 100% universal statements that apply to Effects, as there can be many differences, depending on the exact Effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                    digitalreply Level 1

Itay,

Inspecting(or deleting/hiding/modifying) the effects which have been applied to a particular clip can be done easily from the properties panel.

But I think what you have been asking is that can the same be done for effect presets.

Well the answer is YES and a NO, it depends on the effect preset which you have applied and on your understanding of the preset.

For presets like - "PIP 40% UR Spin Out Top"

Can I go to the properties panel and see any entry related to it ? Ans - NO

But can i still edit/delete it - YES.

Howdo i know what/where to edit ?  - This is where your understanding ofthe preset comes into play. Since preset name reads "PIP 40%..." itimplies scale has been reduced to 40%, UR implies upper right and SpinOut Top implies - position and rotation values have beenkeyframed(animated). All this implies you simply have to go to the motioneffect and edit it.

Another example - Presets > Bevel Edges > Bevel edges thick OR Presets > Color Effects > Hyper Tint Green

Can I go to the properties panel and see any entry related to it? Ans - YES, a bevel edges effect can be seen in the Properties Panelfor the first preset and a "Tint" effect can be seen in case of thesecond preset.

In sum, does an entry for the applied effect preset explicitly show up in the properties panel  - NO.

But can I still figure out and edit an applied effect preset or is there an implicit way to differentiate between applied effect presets( > 1) - YES.

Depends on your understanding of the preset.

Itay,Effect presets are an advanced concept and as you get familiar with Preworkflows, you would gradually become more comfortable editing them.

Cheers!!!

• 15. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                      Itay B. Level 1

Thank you very much for the detailed and illuminating reply.

BTW, what does "preworkflow" mean?

Hunt has also used the word "workflow" in some of his replies to me? At first i thought it was an idiosyncracy of his, but now that you used it as well, i suspect it's actually a standard PE terminology that i'd better get acquainted with.

• 16. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

"Workflow" basically translates to all that one does in a Project. Depending on the Project, it could start with writing the script, then move to shooting, and on to the editing and maybe even the distribution. In more defined terms here, it means gathering one's Assets, i.e. stills, Video, Audio, etc., preparing them, i.e. editing in Photoshop, converting them to a format that the NLE can use and then Importing, or otherwise acquiring them on the computer. It moves on to planning the edit. Actually doing the editing work, and finally doing an Export/Share of the finished Project.

One could see it as a flowchart. It might just be in the editor's head, or layed out in a spreadsheet. It could even be a graphic done in Adobe Illustrator, or a flowcharting program.

I try to plan out each Project, especially the early part. Do I need to create Titles in PS? Do I need to edit my stills in PS? Will I need any artwork done in Illustrator? Do I need to convert any of my Video, or Audio Assets? Do I need to edit any Audio Assets in Adobe Audition? Will I need to build any animations in AfterEffects? Do I need to buy and install any additional plug-ins for Effects? It's questions like these that I need answers to, before I get started, and then I try to choreograph my actual editing, so that I do not have to backtrack, because I applied an Effect, when I was going to Nest that Sequence to another, where it would be better to apply that same Effect on a more global basis.

For me, the workflow begins before the first Asset is Imported, or Captured. Even with simple Projects, it begins with the gathering of Assets, and encompasses everything to the point, where I am finished with the Project. For others, it might mean just the editing of footage.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 17. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I suspect it's actually a standard PE terminology that i'd better get acquainted with.

I wanted to address this part separately. Actually, "workflow" is more of a video, or at least NLE term, and is not specific to PrE.

As for terminology, this ARTICLE might prove useful.

As I attempt to point out, some of these terms might be applied slightly differently, depending on the exact program used. As a for instance, PrE 8 has moved all of the Export options to Share. I still write "Export/Share" in case a PrE 2 through 7 user reads it. Terms can change. Also, Avid might call one common operation by one name, and Final Cut Pro use a different one.

For me, I had to learn some new terms. I can from a film background. Terms were changed with video. For instance, my old Fade-to-Black is now Dip-to-Black in most NLE's. First time that I typed Fade-to-Black, everyone came back with "huh???"

I read a lot of books on general editing of both video and audio. Some authors use different programs, and though the core theories are the same, their terminology can be rooted in their program of choice.

Also, with regards to audio, many still use a lot of the terminology from the analog days, and keep them, because analog is still part of the workflow in most productions - think of the mics, for instance. There is generally less analog left in video, unless someone needs to telecine film to digital, or transfer VHS tapes to digital. More of the total workflow is all in digital, so my old film school terms have faded.

One of the things that I attempt to do is differentiate exaclty what I am talking about. If I type video, I mean video in general. If I type Video, I am talking about the video Assets in a Project. Notice that Assets is also capatilized, as that is a term from the NLE and is specific to all things, SFX, Video, Audio, etc. used. Sometimes I slip up. I use project to mean the whole thing, and Project to mean the setup in the NLE, that will result in either a .PREL, or .PRPROJ file from my Adobe editors. Does this make sense?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                            Itay B. Level 1
                                            so my old film school terms have faded

You mean "dipped"...

Thanks so much for the explanation, and for the link to the glossary.

• 19. Re: How to remove effect presets from a clip?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                                              so my old film school terms have faded

You mean "dipped"...

Well, since they are film school terms, they "fade." At my age, some of my video memories are gone, and they have "dipped!"

Hunt