12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2010 6:55 AM by infomotive

Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??

gb18

I can't seem to figure out how to get this working?? I have a page that is long and needs scrolling capabilities.   Blargh.

Gina

• 1. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
          Nate B. Level 2

You can select all the objects that you want to scroll, the scrollbar and then convert them to a Scroll Panel.  Edit in place the panel and pick all the parts you want to scroll (but don't select the scrollbar) and assign them as the Scrolling Content.  Once that's done, you should be able to adjust the borders of the scrolling content window to determine the clipping area.

• 2. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
            gb18 Level 1

How do you assign things as "scrolling content"?

• 3. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
              Nate B. Level 2

After converting the bits you want to scroll to a Scroll Panel, edit the Scroll panel in place (either via double clicking or using the HUD to 'Edit Parts).  Select the objects you want to scroll, then use the HUD to Convert Artwork to Scroll Panel Part > Scrolling Content.

• 4. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                gb18 Level 1

Still having trouble with this.  Where do you put the content that is under the scrolling line...?  It tells you to add more here at the bottom... when you move the clipping area... but where do you build/design it before you get to that point?  Do you just hide it in the layers? Very confused

Can you send me step by step directions?  I cant seem to get this...

Thanks for all of your help thus far!!!

Gina

• 5. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                  Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Gina,

Check out this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2294816#2294816

Ty provides step by step instructions for creating a scrollpanel, and has attached an example .fxp.

If you have further questions after trying these steps, please let us know.

Thanks,

Tara

• 6. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                    gb18 Level 1

Thanks Tara!

I get the idea and the example make sense too... what I'm not getting is where you place the stuff that is going underneath the scroll line before you convert it... do you copy, delete it, then convert to panel, then paste it then convert scroll parts?? It seems that if you hide the layer, and don't select it initially, then you cant make it part of the scrolling content later... Does that make sense?   Also, This thing has crashed on me over a dozen time in the last two days...any tips on performance? 

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help! 

Gina

• 7. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                      Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Gina,

There's more than one way to get content into a Scroll Panel.  If you follow the tutorial's steps, you'll select all the content plus the scrollbar for the initial Convert to > Scroll Panel step, then in the later conversion step select just the content and convert to > Scrolling Content.  You'll want all the content selected in both cases, not just the part that will be visible in the "scroll window" at first.  Once you've created the Scrolling Content region (it'll have a dotted outline), you can resize its borders to set the "scroll window" and hide (clip) some of that content.

Let me know if that makes sense...

Sorry to hear you've experienced some crashing.  Can you tell us what you were doing when Catalyst crashed?  Are you working with large video assets or a lot of high-resolution artwork?  Also, what OS are you on?

- Peter

• 8. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                        RemsX

the whole process seemed sort of counter intuitive, but if you haven't got it to work try this:

Your scrolling content:  select all and convert it into a generic graphic, then select that graphic AND the scrollbar itself and make them BOTH scrollable content.

(to me this seemed odd, since the scroll bar isn't the content itself, but it seems this just groups them and the program knows not to scroll the scrollbar)

do this after you've converted to scrollpanel (but I assume you're already at that step).

I ended up accidentally creating many layers when I first tried this.  If you have... cut and paste so that it's all just one level deep.  Then consolodate as I described above, and make sure it's in the same "level" as the scrollbar.

Personally I think this is weird, but it's how it works.  Hope this helps?

• 9. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??

Hi RemsX,

I'm glad you found some steps that worked for you, but you should be able to set up a scroll panel more easily without those strange extra steps.  Try the following:

1. Draw a few rectangles (say, 5) arranged in a vertical stack.
                          2. Place a wireframe Vertical Scrollbar to the right of the rectangles.
                          3. Select everything and Convert to > Scroll Panel
                          4. Double-click to edit the Scroll Panel
                          5. Select all the boxes -- but not the Scroll Bar, and Convert to > Scrolling Content
                          6. You should now see a dotted-line bounding box surrounding the rectangles.  Drag the bottom of the dotted-line box upwards, so that the bottom one or two rectangles are hidden (clipped).
                          7. File > Run, and verify that dragging the scroll bar causes the stack of boxes to scroll.

Does that work for you?  You shouldn't need to convert anything to a generic component or graphic, or place the scrollbar inside the content...  If you're having trouble with the above steps, please post back with details about which step didn't work out and we'll try to help more...

- Peter

• 10. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                            RemsX Level 1

Hmmmm... I was going to try not including the scrollbar but now I get a build error.  Perhaps we have a misunderstanding... the scrollbar shouldn't be compartmentalized along with the (literally) "scrolling content," but in the HUD, there's a checkbox that says scrolling content... if this isn't checked I receive the following error:

<s:VScrollBar fixedThumbSize="true" id="vscrollbar1" pageSize="800" skinClass="components.VerticalScrollbar1" viewport="{contentGroup}" x="0" y="0"/>

is that normal?

• 11. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??

Hmm, sorry you're hitting an error.  I'm not sure how that could happen.  Can you give us more details about where you saw this message, and what else it said? (there should be some descriptive text along with the MXML code you pasted)

At any rate, maybe this info will help:

The checkbox in the HUD's "Convert to Part" dropdown indicates whether any artwork in your component has been converted to that part.  So in my example above, after step 5 if you select the scrollbar you will see a checkbox next to Scrolling Content because in step 5 you converted the boxes to the Scrolling Content.  It doesn't mean the scrollbar is part of the Scrolling Content; it just means that the Scrolling Content part exists.

When you're done with the steps in my example above, you should have two things in the Layers panel: Scrolling Content, and a vertical scroll bar.  (You can always add other things here that you do not want the scroll bar to move, such as some border artwork).

- Peter

• 12. Re: Please help me to get the wireframe component scroll bar to actually scroll??
                                infomotive

Thank you. I also found this thread helpful.