1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 10:51 AM by asloan

Looking for best practices for web delivery of Captivate tutorials

asloan Level 1

I have a set of ~50 Adobe Captivate projects that are a mix of UI tour, business process overviews, and how-tos for configuring those processes. These "tutorials" as we call them, vary in length, ~1-3 minutes for the UI tours and overviews, and 4-10 minutes for the how-tos. We use narration, which we recorded in Audacity on Windows and imported as MP3s into Captivate. We are not using menus or interactivity, and are not integrated with an LMS.

The goal is to deliver these tutorials in-context in the UI of our web-based enterprise application. Our customers typically have several thousand users and when they kick of a new cycle of a business process, have hundreds of simultaneous users logged in, many of whom may view our tutorials when they first log in. This means optimal network performance is critical.

We initially output the Captivate projects to SWF format and used the standard HTML page as a means for a simple, progressive download. Users said it took too long to download before the tutorials could start playing. We tried converting the SWFs to FLV and delivered them via a streaming server. Even after optimizing the data rate and codec's compression settings, users reported that the volume of data being streamed to simultaneous users is too great and is adversely affecting their networks.As an example of the file sizes I'm talking, we have a five about are 6 MB for a SWF and 8.7 MB for an FLV.

Can anyone suggest strategies for optimizing delivery of the SWF files, the FLVs, or another format all together? I would like to stay with Captivate because of our investment in training and the fact it is included with our licenses for the Technical Communications 2 Suite. We are using Captivate 4.0.1 build 1658 on Windows XP, and Sorenson Squeeze 6 for compressing the FLVs with the On2 VP6 codec.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Alan