3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 11:36 AM by Mylenium

particle playground - layer exploder

Jim Hines Level 1

What's up with this? I choose a layer to explode. Nothing happens. Render bar sicks at half point for a long time.

No effect. Nothing. What am I doing wrong? Anybody know of a tut online. For layere exploder or partical exploder? Reading the help doc. is not helping for me.

tia

• 1. Re: particle playground - layer exploder
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please be more specific what exactly you do. In order to control ther layer exploder, you usually keyframe the Radius of New Particles property with hold keyframes. Of course you must have set up forces or layer maps somewhere, or else you won't see anything...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: particle playground - layer exploder
            Jim Hines Level 1

Okay, thanks, I'm just experimenting. So I make a comp. Make a solid. Apply Particle Playground to it. Put a .jpg in the comp. Set the layer exploder to that .jpg layer. I guess that is where I'm lost. The minute I choose the .jpg layer as the layer exploder the program freezes up for a bit. So I've not really been able to experiment with any of the other parameters.

• 3. Re: particle playground - layer exploder
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The minute I choose the .jpg layer as the layer exploder the program freezes up for a bit.

That sounds correct. It is sampling the layer and establishing the particle grid which, at large resolutions and the default 2px size for the particles can take a moment. After that, you should see a continuous stream of particles being emitted and falling down due to the default gravity. To only emit at the first frame, keyframe the particle size as I already wrote. You may also wish to set the particle size to larger values before actually referencing the layer. You may simply have a performance problem that makes the sampling go into some sort of forever loop and thus you never are able to work.

Mylenium