10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 2:03 PM by Tim Flippance

Downscaled DVD

Tim Flippance Level 1

I downscaled a CS4 project from HDV to DVD PAL using Jeff's method. In Export Settings I selected "Use Maximum Render Quality" and left "Include Source XMP Metadada" checked (was this wrong?)

It created an MPEG Movie file which I burned using ImgBurn.

The DVD plays in my computer and on my DVD player, but not on my Blu-ray player or the  DVD players of two friends.

I tried Verbatim discs, 1x write speed, making an image of the MPEG Movie file and burning that. Nothing works.

• 1. Re: Downscaled DVD
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Was Encore involved in the production at all?  If not, give that a try.  I'm not sure I'd depend on ImgBurn to author a legal/compatible DVD.  Better to let it do what it's best at: burning image files to disc.

-Jeff

EDIT: I don't think 1x write speeds are appropriate with today's burners and media.  My rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of either the media or the burner, whichever is less.  I've read reports that indicate that burning too slowly can cause as many problems with disc playback as burning too fast.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Downscaled DVD
            Tim Flippance Level 1

Hello again Jeff

thanks for the advice (why is something so simple as burning a disc so problematic?)

No I didn't use Encore. Actualy the reason I'm not using Encore is because Encore kept closing down at the end of transcoding before it started burning and Bill Gehrke suggested using ImgBurn (which works very well for Blu-ray). Anyway I'll try Encore again and hope for the best.

PS you don't think leaving "Include Source XMP Metadata" selected had anything to do with it do you?

Tim

• 3. Re: Downscaled DVD

Try building a disc image in Encore (that can be burned with ImgBurn!) instead of trying to burn with En.

The XMP Metadata setting shouldn't matter, but in the interest of troubleshooting you can de-select it and try again.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Downscaled DVD
                Tim Flippance Level 1

Jeff

I tried unticking XMP but you were right, it made no diff.

Tomorrow I'll try an Encore image

Tim

• 5. Re: Downscaled DVD
                  Tim Flippance Level 1

When I look for the downscaled movie file while in Encore I can't find it. It's not listed in My Documents though I know it's there.

If I drag and drop the movie file from My Documents to Encore it says "Cannot open project. The folder for this project cannot be found"

I can't downscale the CS4 project to DVD in Encore because I can't find "Use Maximum Render Quality" in Encore 4.01.048

• 6. Re: Downscaled DVD

Tim Flippance wrote:

When I look for the downscaled movie file while in Encore I can't find it. It's not listed in My Documents though I know it's there.

If I drag and drop the movie file from My Documents to Encore it says "Cannot open project. The folder for this project cannot be found"

I can't downscale the CS4 project to DVD in Encore because I can't find "Use Maximum Render Quality" in Encore 4.01.048

What is the file extension for the downscaled movie file?  The drag and drop behavior you describe seems to indicate that you are trying to drag and drop a project file, not a movie file.

In Encore, go to File | Transcode Settings.  The Use Maximum Render Quality checkbox is there.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Downscaled DVD
                      Tim Flippance Level 1

Transcode settings is grayed out

• 8. Re: Downscaled DVD

Did you select the asset in the Project panel first?

-Jeff

• 9. Re: Downscaled DVD
                          Tim Flippance Level 1

Success!  Transcoding it in Encore and burning the image in ImgBurn gives a DVD which plays in both my players.

Thanks for your help

Tim

• 10. Re: Downscaled DVD

Glad you found a usable workflow.

-Jeff