19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2009 6:52 AM by the_wine_snob

DVD burning "Runtime Error"

evan26 Level 1

Hello Adobe world,

I am finally finished with my first big project.  Over the year, I have burned dozens of DVDs without any problems.  However, now that my project is finally done, I have not been able to successfully burn to disk.  Sometimes PE7 just freezes, other times I get this error message: "Runtime Error!...[my file's name]...R6025...-pure vital function call".

I tried "sharing" my project to "view on my personal computer" in the hopes that changing the settings on the exported file to DV AVI would help.  After a few hours, it had rendered all my files, but I was not able to open that folder in PE7 (only in WMA).  Also, there doesn't seem to be any menu on the rendered file.

I'm not very good with technical stuff, any help would be appreciated!!

• 1. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
          the_wine_snob Level 9

C++ Runtime Errors can be caused by several things. This Adobe KB Article, though not directly for PrElements, might shed some light and be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
            evan26 Level 1

I am able to burn other files.  (Even at the same quality settings, same drive, same disk type, etc.)  In the past I have burned larger files so I don't think it is a disk space issue.  (Space required is 3.23 GB and the DVD holds 4.7 GB)  I normally use the highest quality setting but I did try one burn with the "fit contents to available space" box checked.

Like I said, I don't always get an error message, sometimes the progress bar just freezes.  (When everything was working fine, it took a few hours to burn to disk.)

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You might wish to update the firmware of your burner. Firmware updates come out about once per year, or more often, if the mfgr. has changed something. Because Adobe programs need 100% control to burn, it could well happen, that some programs could burn fine, but not an Adobe program.

Another test would be to Burn to Folder from Adobe and then test with a little freeware burning program, ImgBurn. It will function fine, when most other programs will not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                evan26 Level 1

If I burn to a folder, will I be able to keep my DVD menu and its settings?

Although, I don't think the issue is with my burner, because I was able to burn a (smaller) project last night using PE.  The only project I haven't been able to burn is the "final edit".  However, the "final edit" is not very different from the previous disks I've burned.  (I added one more title, adjusted the timing of some shots, fixed a couple pictures, etc.)

• 5. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  If I burn to a folder, will I be able to keep my DVD menu and its settings?

Yes. You will get your VIDEO_TS folder, with all of the .VOB's (contains your Menu, navigational info, and the Transcoded MPEG-2 AV files), .IFO and .BUP files, just like on a DVD-Video disc. The only difference is that this VIDEO_TS file will be located on your HDD, instead of being Burned to a DVD-Video disc - yet.

With ImgBurn, you just navigate to that VIDEO_TS folder, tell the program the name you want on the Disc (it'll even offer to name it for you, and will be close in its guess) and Burn. It'll find all usable burners, and will even tell you about the burner (Firmware, etc.) and the brand of blank media in that burner. Neat huh? Once you are set up, you just hit Burn, and it does the rest.

If this test is fine, then we can troubleshoot why Adobe cannot use that burner.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I was able to burn a (smaller) project last night using PE.  The only project I haven't been able to burn is the "final edit".  However, the "final edit" is not very different from the previous disks I've burned.  (I added one more title, adjusted the timing of some shots, fixed a couple pictures, etc.)

This is a good sign. It points to an issue with either the Project (as it stands now), or with the Assets.

Let's start by you telling us what you mean by "fixed a couple of pictures." Also, tell us about those still images, size, file type, etc.. There might be something there - or maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                      evan26 Level 1

I tried burning to a folder-it got all the way through the encoding and now is stuck "burning to folder".  (No change for over an hour).

About the pictures.  For most of the pictures in my project, I added a black backgroung in Photoshop so the underlying video wouldn't show at the edges.  A few of them seemed blurry and I found that it helped to place the photo (sans black background) on top of the video clip and then bring the opacity of the clip to zero.  I haven't done this with very many, maybe 7.  Most of the 7 or so were already "fixed" like that when I burned a successful DVD, but I added two more...and now it won't burn.

The new "fixed" pictures:  JPEG, File size: 1.9 MB, Image size: 2238 x 3468.

Other pics in my project: JPEG, Image size: 1440 x 1080.

I don't know why the sizes are different.  They were all imported from Photoshop Elements after touch-ups, as JPEGs.

Thanks for your help!

• 8. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The new "fixed" pictures:  JPEG, File size: 1.9 MB, Image size: 2238 x 3468.

It is likely that these oversized images are causing some issues. First, not one pixel, beyond the Project's Frame Size can be displayed. All of the rest still have to be handled, but cannot be used. If you Scaled these down to fit, there is additional processing overhead on the system. If a system is running low on resources, basically physical RAM and also Windows Virtual Memory (Page File), there will be issues, when more than are necessary are called for.

Also, check the amount of defragmented, free space on your HDD's. Transcoding and authoring a Project take much more HDD space than just the output file - much more. How much defragmented free space do you have available? That could definitely be a reason for the hang with Burn to Folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                          evan26 Level 1

I am running another test right now. When that finishes, I'll see what I can

do about the oversized pictures. (I'm not exactly sure how to down-size

them)

As for free space,  I (unsucessfully) burned to an external hard drive with

821 GB of free space.

• 10. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe this ARTICLE will give you some tips on image resizing in PS/PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              As for free space,  I (unsucessfully) burned to an external hard drive with 821 GB of free space.

Success, when doing any editing to/from an external will likely be dependent on the connection type and its speed.

Going back many years, I tried to do it with USB 2.0 externals. This was a real hit and miss proposition. Often, I got delayed write errors, as did many others attempting similar. I also found these drives to be horribly slow. I gave up and relegated those drives to archival storage only. When FW-400 externals came out, I tried them again. There were no delayed write errors, but the drives were still too slow for me. Then, FW-800 came out, and I have been doing much editing to/from these, with no issues. Now that eSATA is commonly available, I would recommend that one look into these. Were I not so heavily invested in the FW-800's, I'd go this route in a heartbeat, as the throughput is equal to an eSATA controller and an internal SATA II HDD.

What connection were you attempting ot use?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                evan26 Level 1

Okay,  I've run some more tests and am still having problems.  I would really appreciate any help, since I am hoping to have this done by Wednesday!

While I had been using an external hard drive (connected with USB), I am now burning from a file on my computer's hard drive.

My computer is a P 8600 @ 2.4 GHz  with 4.0 GB of RAM.  In terms of space on the hard drive, I have 307 GB free of 450 GB.

I split the project and burned the 1st half successfully.  The 2nd half did not burn.  I took 6 pictures out of the 2nd half and burned it-successfully.  I burned the 6 pictures by themselves-successfully.  Then I split the 2nd half into quarters and burned both quarters on high quality with all the pictures-successfully.

I have not resized the pictures yet. Partially, because it doesn't seem like they are enough bigger to cause a problem. Also because I cannot figure out how to resize them without losing quality. (I'm not only showing a part of the picture and cropping out the rest.)

And, I don't know if this makes a difference, but the progress bar has been freezing at the same two spots (when the burn is unsuccessful). Sometimes it freezes at "93% encoding media" and sometimes it freezes about a half inch into "burning to disk"

Thanks for your help!

• 13. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                  evan26 Level 1

By the way, some of the tests that I've run (like the last two quarters) have been burned to a folder. I got tired of burning through disks.   I don't think that's the reason it worked though, because I've tried many tests burning to folder (including the entire project) and it froze up.

• 14. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    I have not resized the pictures yet. Partially, because it doesn't seem like they are enough bigger to cause a problem. Also because I cannot figure out how to resize them without losing quality. (I'm not only showing a part of the picture and cropping out the rest.)

Actually, if you are Importing images much larger than your Frame Size, the program is resizing the images. Only the Frame Size can be displayed in Video. If you are panning, while zoomed out, you do need some extra pixels to allow for the pan, but still you will only be displaying the number of pixels defined by your Frame Size.

Now, the resizing algorithms in PS and PSE are better for maintaining ultimate quality, than those in PrE. There are also more options, when resizing in an image editing program. Quality AND control are a dynamic duo, that I cannot resist.

This ARTICLE will step on through the resizing in PS/PSE and show how to even automate the process, prior to Import.

Steve also has a FAQ Article on the proper size for still images.

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      I got tired of burning through disks.

I understand. One can only use so many "coasters."

I always burn to a DVD RW, and then use thiese for testing purposes in computers and in set-top playvers. These are for testing ONLY, and not for delivery. One 10-pack of Verbatim DVD RW's has lasted me about 5 years, and I've yet to have one fail. Some have probably been rewritten dozens of times. Every Project that I complete is burned to DVD RW, and then I play that test disc in several different pieces of equipment - from esoterics to ultra-cheapies, and even a combo TV-DVD unit. If the DVD RW plays in all of these, then I burn my "master," which goes on file, and then the number of "final discs," per the clients' needs.

To date, I have not had one DVD returned for playability problems.

Also, by testing that DVD RW, I get the last chance to study my navigation, my spelling, Transitions, everything on the disc. One would be surprised at the number of little errors, that I have uncovered in this process. These are things that slipped by me in both the NLE and in the authoring program.

Glad that I do these final tests, before I burn 20 DVD's for delivery!!!!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                        evan26 Level 1

I resized all of the photos that I thought might be causing this problem.  My guess is that nearly all my photos are larger than they need, but it would be very time consuming to re-size all of them and then re-do all of the editing that I did with them in PE.  So, I only re-sized the photos that I had changed just before I started having trouble burning.  All of the others have been successfully burned with previous versions of this project.

Anyway, after I re-sized them, I tried burning again--and it didn't work.  I got another "runtime error" message.

Any thoughts?

(Also, I read the article about the optimal ratios for pics, but since I am working with old pictures, they are all different sizes.  I just locked the proportions and made them significantly smaller.)

• 17. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Adobe KB Article on C++ Runtime Errors, linked in reply #1, does not help, then I am totally at a loss.

Sorry,

Hunt

• 18. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                            evan26 Level 1

Thank you very much for the time you spent helping me!  I finally found a solution!!

I exported my Premiere Elements project to a DV AVI folder and then burned that folder using Nero. I tried some other burning freeware, but I felt like Nero gave me the best control over the menu and scene select.

Thanks again!

Evan

• 19. Re: DVD burning "Runtime Error"
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Evan,

Great news! Not sure why you were unable to get PrE to work in the authoring portion of your Project, but glad that you got it burned to satisfaction.

Thanks for reporting, and good luck,

Hunt