8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 12:30 PM by TPub

Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions

TPub

Volunteered to create a high school football highlight video using Premiere Pro CS3 on a Mac.  The video will be shown in a banquet hall using a NEC projector attached to the ceiling.  The hall owner doesn't have any info on the projector, so I don't know its native resolution or any other specs.  The screen is standard size.

I'm being given a potpourri of media:

1)  The team's game DVDs shot from the press box.  MPEG Streamclip shows the VOBs have these properties:  720 × 480, 4:3, 29.97 fps, 9.30 Mbps, upper field first - 128 AC3 2/0, 48 kHz, 256 kbps.  Right or wrong, I converted the VOBs to dv files for import into PP with these properties: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 × 480, 4:3, 29.97 fps, 28.77 Mbps - DV stereo, 48 kHz, 28.77 Mbps.

2)  Field level video taken with a Canon HV30 (HD, wide screen).  The files I've been given are:  Apple Intermediate Codec, 960 × 540, 29.97 fps, 30.09 Mbps - 16-bit Big Endian stereo, 48 kHz, 1.54 Mbps.  I could ask to have these files recaptured as SD files.

3)  Many side line photos (TIFFs) taken with a Canon 30D.

After editing the project, I was planning on exporting the final video/audio as a mov file to be played from my lap top hard drive rather than from a DVD.  Not sure about the export settings to do this for best quality.

But first, which PP preset should I use for this project, or should I use custom settings?  If so, what should they be?

Have I converted the VOBs to the proper format?

Should I recapture the HV30 footage or convert it to another format?

I have the photos in Lightroom and can export them as TIFFs, JPEGs, PSDs or DNGs and can resize them down if necessary.  Any suggestions?

Finally, I was thinking of converting the background music from mp3s to aif files at 48 kHz, 16-bit to be consistent across the different audio files.  Any suggestions with the audio?

Any thoughts or suggestions on these issues would be most appreciated.  If the answers to these questions hinge on the projector type, I may have to wing it....or buy my own projector.  Ouch.

Sorry for the length of this post.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I recommend setting up a 720x480 4:3 project.  At the very least, have

them recapture the #2 video files as widescreen SD.  (I'll refrain from

making any comments about the usefulness of AIC at half-HD)  The

recaptured widescreen SD files will end up letterboxed in your 4:3

timeline.  Your other choice would be to set up a 720x480 16:9 project,

but that would end up pillarboxing the 4:3 footage.  Your choice.

I think you did a fine job converting the VOBs.

Resize the images in Photoshop.  Get them as close to 720x480 as you

can, adjusting that upward to account for any panning and zooming that

you might want to do.  But don't increase the size any more than you

have to.  You definitely want to avoid working with huge frame-size

images in Pr.

48k 16-bit stereo audio should work just fine.

You should find out the native resolution of the projector, and whether

or not it has an internal scaler.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
            TPub Level 1

Thanks so much, Jeff.

I'll go with 720x480, 4:3 and recapture the HD footage as you suggest.

The banquet hall manager said they climbed a ladder to get the projector model number but couldn't find it.  I'll stop over there tomorrow to see for myself.

If, for example, the native resolution was found to be 1024 x 768, how would that affect the settings I'm using in Premiere Pro?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              I was planning on exporting the final video/audio as a mov file to be played from my lap top hard drive rather than from a DVD.

I'd check with the client first.  They may want to take a Master copy home with them and prefer DVD for that purpose.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
                TPub Level 1

Good point (although there is no client).  I'm donating my time for this.  However, if it turns out well, I may get requests for DVDs from the families.

I figured that, for the projector, I want as high quality as possible.  Since much of my footage is pulled off DVDs (already compressed), I thought I'd be better off not recompressing that footage to DVD again for the show.

Problem I'm now facing is that the .mov file Premiere creates (using Export - Movie) has an AV sync issue when played back using QT Pro.  Am currently surfing for an answer to that.  Apparently this isn't an uncommon problem, but I've yet to find an solution......except to use a different player, such as VLC or Streamclip (both of which work fine).

Any suggestions on the best Export setting to creat the highest quality file to show from the hard drive would be great.  Also, any suggestions as to the best settings for export to DVD (both as a backup for showing and to hand out to the players) would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  sync issue when played back using QT Pro.  Am currently surfing for an answer to that.

Simple, don't use Quicktime.  AVI is the standard video file format.  For standard def, DV should suffice.  You may get slightly better quality using something like the Lagarith or UT codecs.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
                    TPub Level 1

The projector apparently has a resolution of 800x600.  Do I adjust my media files or project preset for that?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

the .mov file Premiere creates (using Export - Movie) has an AV sync issue when played back using QT Pro.

Are you using AAC audio and H.264 video for export?  If so, switch to PCM or even mp3.  In CS4, AAC audio will be out-of-sync in Pr's H.264 Quicktime exports.  Maybe it's a hangover from CS3, too?

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 - Preset & Media File Questions
                        TPub Level 1

I tried a number of AV combinations that failed to sync until settling on uncompressed video and PCM audio and the sync was good.  (Am playing off the hard drive so don't need to compress.)  Will try H.264/PCM if I need to burn some DVDs later.

Am I still good to go using a 720 x 480 preset, even if the projector is set for 800 x 600?