16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 11:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Sound

Jean-Paul Chartre

I just rendered my project and are happy with the result  but the problem is that there is no sound. I do have the sound on my files even so it is a bit off by about 2 secs and I do have the sound on my time line inside premier element. Could anyone help me out or give me tips =/

Thx in advance.

• 1. Re: Sound
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I just rendered my project and are happy with the result  but the problem is that there is no sound.

When you say that you Rendered your Project, do you mean that you hit the Enter key to allow for smoother playback? If so, do you mean that you had Audio in your Project (though there was an Out Of Sync issue), but when you Rendered it, the Audio disappeared? If so, when you look at your Audio Track, do you still see the Waveform for your Audio Clips, or has that disappeared?

If you do not mean Rendering, please tell us what you did, like Export. If you do mean Export, please give us the settings that you used.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sound
            Jean-Paul Chartre Level 1

I first hit Enter to render the BG then export but I realized that I dint really had to render to export saving me a ton of time. I use 3DS MAX daily and the terms we use are simular but for different action heh. Also by installing a french version of PR(by mistake even so i Speak french at home I always work on english) It doesnt help me to use the proper terms here. I migth reinstall it as a english version if it doesnt cancel my try out.

Anyway here are the setting I used for the export:

AVI, DV NTSC, Export video and audio checked, DV NTSC codec, audio coded?none?, 48Khz, stereo, 16 bits, entrelancement audio 0

I also used 4Media HD Video Converter to convert/compress my MTS files into:

HD AVI Video(*AVI) with highest video,sound quality. I got the best result  from all the other programs and setting I used with that one. BUT no matter what I use there is always a 2 to 5 secs sound mismatch. The video is still running but there is no sound for the last 2-5 secs. I could do with that as I dont need those last secs for my project and we dont see the person talking, been able to fix it in some maybe later project would be great.though, but lets focus on the main problem from having no sound from my export

Thx a ton for all the help you guys been giving me the last 2 days =)

• 3. Re: Sound

Somehow the sound fit perfectly inside my window movie maker so im guessing the export inside PE will do aswell once i figure out why I have no sound.

• 4. Re: Sound

The sound fit perfectly inside PE timeline so I am not sure why its off inside Windows media player and i am about to do another export and pray the sound will be exported aswell.

• 5. Re: Sound
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I first hit Enter to render the BG then export but I realized that I dint really had to render to export saving me a ton of time.

You are correct. Rendering the Clips in the Timeline only improves playbcack. If playback is fine for editing, there is no real need to Render. If playback is juttering, etc., Rendering should improve that.

Normally, I only Render areas that I am Keyframing, or applying Effects to, and leave the rest un-Rendered, unless I'm having playback issues.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Sound
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I also used 4Media HD Video Converter to convert/compress my MTS files into:

HD AVI Video(*AVI) with highest video,sound quality. I got the best result  from all the other programs and setting I used with that one. BUT no matter what I use there is always a 2 to 5 secs sound mismatch. The video is still running but there is no sound for the last 2-5 secs. I could do with that as I dont need those last secs for my project and we dont see the person talking, been able to fix it in some maybe later project would be great.though, but lets focus on the main problem from having no sound from my export

OK, to make sure that I am on the same page, is it after the conversion that you loose the Audio, or is it still fine at this point, and will play in an appropriate player?

If it's still good here, you then Import into PrE. This brings it into the Project Panel. If you Dbl-click on it there, it will open in the Source Monitor. Do you have Audio in the Source Monitor?

This will help troubleshoot where you are loosing the Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Sound
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

What format/delivery scheme are you Exporting for? Are you going to a DVD-Video, or other delivery format? This can be very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Sound

I was able to render part 1 wich is 6:30 long with the sound perfectly. I realized that after deleting all the video from part 1 inside my organizer that some video(not all) had the wave appearing inside my timeline so i proceeded deleting the unneeded video to make some space. Sadly this did not completly fixed my sound problem as the sound goes on and off randomly. I double clicked on the video inside PE to open a playback window and still trying to figure out why sometime there is sound or not at all. I started part 2 of my video all over because i autosaved on top of it testing stuff around and I was able to get sound in properly on the first video. I will post again in a hrs or so to tell how it goes.

Thx alot for saving my hide so far hehe!

• 9. Re: Sound
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          this did not completly fixed my sound problem as the sound goes on and off randomly. I double clicked on the video inside PE to open a playback window and still trying to figure out why sometime there is sound or not at all

On the Timeline, look closely at some of the Clips, where the Audio has faded out, and cannot be heard. Do you see the Waveform of the Audio there, or is it missing in those parts?

Next, choose one of the Clips, where the Audio "messes up," and Dbl-click on it in the Timeline. This should open the Source Monitor. Play that Clip in the Source Monitor. Does the Audio play fine there?

These are tests, to see if you have a problem at the Clip level, or maybe the Track level.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Sound

I do not see the waves on the time line and the sound is not faded  from the yellow line but I can hear the sound on some of my video anyway w/out the waves wich I was using before to cut some of my video, now I cant.

Inside my Source monitor there is no sound right away unless I remove/delete the file and put it back a couple of times. This is how ive been working since this morning to get the sound in my timeline. Its a little frustrating =/ I load the file in check if there is sound, wait a few second then if no sound then I remove and readd. I do notice the uniformisition window loading either only the video or only the audio either inside a seperate window or in the bottom right corner.

• 11. Re: Sound
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not see the waves on the time line and the sound is not faded  from the yellow line but I can hear the sound on some of my video anyway w/out the waves wich I was using before to cut some of my video, now I cant.

OK, let's do one test here. In the Timeline, one can set both the vertical and horizonal zoom level, plus the Display Type (a toggle). The verical zoom is set by dragging up on an almost invisible border in the Audio (or Video) Track Header - the area where the Track Name, and Keyframe buttons are. Slowly move your cursor around the upper border of the Track in the Track Header, until you get a double line with two arrows. Click and drag up to expand that Track's view. Now, above the Timeline is a horizontal zoom slider, and I want you to move it to the right to magnify the Track horizontally. You may now have to navigate back to the Clip where the sound is acting up. Do you see ANY Waveforms? If not, go back to the Track Header, and on the far-left there is an icon (unless PrE 8 moved it). Click that icon several times. Do you see any Waveforms?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Sound
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Inside my Source monitor there is no sound right away unless I remove/delete the file and put it back a couple of times. This is how ive been working since this morning to get the sound in my timeline. Its a little frustrating =/ I load the file in check if there is sound, wait a few second then if no sound then I remove and readd. I do notice the uniformisition window loading either only the video or only the audio either inside a seperate window or in the bottom right corner.

The workflow that you detail should not be happening. You should not have to delete and replace Clips like that. I can imagine that it IS frustrating.

Now, your last line give me one thought. First the details of what that little progress bar is doing. The one on the lower-right of the screen.

When a file is Imported into PrE (or PrPro), three things a done immediately:

1.) the file's video is surveyed. If you have a DV-AVI (all Frames are I-frames), nothing really happens here. If you have material that is GOP (Group of Pictures), like MPEG, the program will Index the file's Video, basically creating all of the Frames for editing.

2.) the Audio is Conformed, which means that the data is converted to 32-bit floating-point, so it can be edited

3.) .PEK files (the actual Waveform Display) are generated.

Depending on the size and number of files Imported, and the speed of one's computer, this can take a little time. That progress bar (blue in all versions that I have) will move right. If you have more than one file in the Import, it will start again, and progress right for each file.

You MUST allow this to complete, before you do any editing. If I have a lot of files being Imported, and they are long, I might just go get a cup of coffee and relax for a moment, even on my very fast workstation. If I did the Import on a slower machine, I might walk around the block to relax. Now, try the Import again, and make sure that all of these functions (shown by that progress bar) have completed 100%. IIRC, you're working on an slighly underpowered laptop. The progress bar might go very slowly. Be patient and let it complete 100%.

Also, the .CFA files (Conformed Audio) are big files. If one has added and deleted a lot of AV files with Audio, there could be many of the old ones on the computer, just taking up room on the HDD. IIRC, you were running low on space. Check your free space again, and let us know how much you have. Like I said, there could be tons of old .CFA files filling up your HDD. If so, we'll cover what to try in the next post.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Sound

If i expand up and zoom in at the maximum I do see the soundwaves only in those i could hear the sound from. I had trouble with my last video i braught in, maybe because it was a 1min:10 secs longs and just double clicked on it to have the uniformasition window loading audio to finally get the sound in.

• 14. Re: Sound

I always wait till the progress bar is finished loading before playing with the files inside PR and I still got 22 go of empty space. I have been loading only 1 file at a time inside PR, soon as I am done working with 1 I go get the next and most of them are between 5secs to 20/30 secs, I do have 3or 4 files that are over a min. I have 1 hrs:10 of footage and I need to make a video of 15 mins out of it, give or take. Part 1 was 6:30 that I did in about a hrs yesterday untill  PR was telling me my ram was low then from there PR been acting strange. I did clean more space that I had when i started part 1, defragmented my hd etc etc.

• 15. Re: Sound

I am very thankfull for all the helps you guys have giving me and I learned alot in the last 3 days. Every bits of info will  be usefull for my 3D artist career. I will be using PE to play with some of my video but I will use Windows movie maker for the main work as it look like everything goes in faster at this time =/ This project doesnt need much work and it wont be judged on the editing skill so I dont need to make it more complexe then it sound. There will be a time in the near futur where editing will be part of my life.

It is nice to create for ourself but it is even better to do so for others.

Jean-Paul Chartre

• 16. Re: Sound
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jean-Paul,

I wish you great fortune in your career and in your editing. Few things can be as rewarding, and as much fun, as being an artist.

Hunt