4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 7:00 PM by John T Smith

Ram problem?

Jean-Paul Chartre

I often get a box saying: unproper file or your computer  dont have the codec etc but all the files I use as been converted into the same codec and are running fine. It does that after I get a couple files inside PE(about 8mins of video). I also get another simular window when loading in new videos: Your rams is running low. I have 2 gig ram, about 15 gig space left and working with 88 files that are between 2to 20 megs each for a total of 1.2 gig/1hrs10 that I dont use all of it for my project. I needto save my project into 3 files, render them seperatly and put these files back inside PE to render the whole thing into one 18 min file. Is that correct or I can do something else to dodge all these steps?

Thx In Advance.

• 1. Re: Ram problem?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          I also get another simular window when loading in new videos: Your rams is running low. I have 2 gig ram, about 15 gig space left and working with 88 files that are between 2to 20 megs each for a total of 1.2 gig/1hrs10 that I dont use all of it for my project.

Does the error spcify RAM, or does it say "Resources," of "Memory?"

There are basically two types of "Memory," that PrE uses, RAM and the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). Both are part of the "Resources" of your system.

First, the 15GB of free-space is probably an issue, and could well be part of this problem. I strongly recommend > 30GB of free, defragmented HDD space. This is atop the space for your media files, and everything else. I would clean your HDD out and store unused media, etc., on an external HDD, or similar. This is especially true if your Virtual Memory is dynamically managed by your OS, as it will swell, any time that RAM has been exceeded. This is by design. I use a static Page File that is 2.5x my installed physical RAM, i.e. 10GB, and it is set to that size, so it does not expand and contract, as Windows thinks it should - set statically.

What size is your Virtual Memory (Page File) set to, and is it dynamically managed?

Also, I use the tips in this ARTICLE to set up my computer and get it ready for an editing session. This frees up tons of Resources.

Hope that this helps and please let us know about that Virtual Memory.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ram problem?
            Jean-Paul Chartre Level 1

I cleaned up my HD to 23 GB  then I cant do much about the other 57 GB left. I could put the video files on a USB key or use my laptop with 100GB of free space as a network.. I will turn off my Avast anti virus and extra stuff I dont need next time(tomorow morning) I jump on PE for another try on my project(Still need to fix the sound issue). I also defragmented my hd after cleaning it up.  I was told not to use/work video on a USB key or on a network is that true ?

For the size of my virtual memory.

C:2046 - 4092

Space available 22751

Custom size checked : 2000

maximum size            :4092

minimum allowed               2mo

recommended               3070mo

currently allocated         2046mo

• 3. Re: Ram problem?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With a laptop, you are handcuffed, as you probably only have one HDD to work with. Now, I use FW-800 externals to edit to/from, as I move between my laptop and my workstation. That works well. I tried with USB externals, and had read/write failures, as did many, plus the speed was horrible. I tried FW-400, and had no read/write failures, but they were still horribly slow for me. It was not until I went with FW-800's, that I could work with externals, other than for archiving of media. Now, eSATA is even better, but I am heavily invested in FW-800 externals. Also, my laptop has 3x 200GB SATA II HDD's, and two are empty for PrE and PrPro to use.

Back in the old days, when 1GB HDD was as big as it got, and most OS's and controllers could not see more than one, I used to have to move all programs (except for Photoshop) and my DOC files to a slow tape drive, just to clear enough room to do big PS images. I could only do one Save, and then that had to go to tape too. It would take about 2 hours to do a tape backup of a three-page ad at high-rez (for the day).

If your externals are USB, I'd look at moving even more "stuff" to them, and clean up even more space on the HDD.

Hope that something helps, especially, IIRC, you are doing this Project for a friend.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Ram problem?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>use my laptop with 100GB of free space as a network

No... the program does not work with a network