1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 213 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2015 3:59 PM by kyriosity Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • 100. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
        P Spier CommunityMVP

It's time for you to start a brand new thread. We've passed beyond a problem with resetting the prefs.

In the new thread, give the version of Windows and ID (I know them, but others won't), and a detailed description of what you are trying to do, along with details of what you see (screen captures would be extremely helpful). I'm not going to be much help withthe Articles Panel -- it's a feature I don't use in my workflow -- but there are plenty of other users who will pop in.

• 101. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
          MystiMac Community Member

Okay, thanks. I'll give screenshots too, if I discover what format the image

upload takes. Enjoy our Sunday, what's left of it.

• 102. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
            P Spier CommunityMVP

I recommend .png for screen caps.

• 103. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Thank you. That was critical!!

• 104. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Just wanted to let you and any audience know that after I re-started my computer (and having renamed the files you designated), now I can get the articles panel. So I'm muddling through, moving forward from that point... not able to export to epub having selected radio button "according to articles panel," (grayed out), but according to the "based on page layout" radio button selected, the output ain't bad. Fortunately, my first project is pretty basic -- just text, styles, no graphics, a couple drop caps. Thank you for your help thus far.

I hope the Adobe team doesn't spend all their human resources pressured to turn out a new version every year (as the survey I went through said Adobe aspired to do), but keeps enough human resources fixing what seems to be a pretty buggy CS5.5.

• 105. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                  mezmiranda11

thanks, will give that a go.

• 106. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

After various frustrations with indesignCS5.5 installation, which, per advice of adobe tech in Asia, changing the user account on my pc (windows xp), the user accounts were all corrupted... Not wanting to lose any more time, I bought a new computer, PC, running Windows 7. Now with inddCS5.5, the preferences are all screwy -- can't open more than one panel. If I open pages, then want to additionally have character, paragraph panels open, the pages panel gets changed to something else. I tried going to the user accounts, making files visible via your method, renamed the file InDesign Defaults to _InDesign Defaults. I didn't see InDesign SavedData, neither in the administrator account (I'm the administrator), nor in the users account. Then I restarted Indd, but still the preferences weren't working. Here's what I have now in explorer:

scrnshot2.jpg

Once again, can you help with this issue, now that I'm on Windows 7, and have the indd CS5.5 (with updates already in)?

• 107. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Here's a little better screenshot.

scrnshot3.png

• 108. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                        P Spier CommunityMVP

I'm still on XP, but that screen grap looks OK, presuming you renamed InDesign Defaults to _InDesign Defaults. InDesign SavedData is in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\

Notice that you A different folder, so you have to go back up the tree and open the AppData folder and work back down.

That said, I don't think this is a corrupt prefs issue. More likely you have the panel groups reduced to icons or icons plus labels. If that's the case, it's expected that opening one panel from an anchored collection of grouped panels would close other panels in the same collection.

• 109. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Thanks Peter,

Your comment about panel groups reduced to icons or icons plus labels -- I'm not seeing icons... Is there some setting, like "preferences" from the file menu? Or some other way to see if it's about panel groups?

• 110. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Aha! I messed around and discovered how to make visible all the panels available. Now I'll customize my workspace. Thank you soooo very much!! You're awesome!

• 111. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                              claytab30

Thanks for the advice.  My page transitions had completely stopped functioning as well as any background colour for my pages when exported.  I took your advice, held down clt, alt shift and all is well again!

Good job...

• 112. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                Heli Prajapati

I'm having a similar issue, I opened up an old file which was made in CS5, and all my paragraph styles are missing. the paragraph style window only shows the "basic" style. I went through this thread and did everything you suggested with no result

I trashed my preferences with the keyboard short cut. closed and reopened indesign.

I uninstalled indesign and reinstalled it.

I activated all the fonts that were in the file using fontexplorer.

I even opened the file from 3 different sources I had it saved on.

I went into my library>users>preferences and it no longer has the adobe indesign folder. only file I found that had indesign in it was "com.adobe.InDesign.7.0.plist"

none of these steps brought back the paragraph styles.

Any suggestions what else I could do?

• 113. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                  Heli Prajapati Community Member

also, this is only happening to one particular file. I opened another and it has all the paragraph styles.

• 114. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                    P Spier CommunityMVP

When problems are isolated to a particular file they usually have nothing to do with Prefs. Instead try Remove minor corruption by exporting

• 115. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Thank you for such a quick reply. I tried exporting as .IDML then saving it as .indd and it didn't work either. No idea why this is happening. I suppose I'll just have to redo the styles. Thankfully its just a single spread document.

Thanks again for your help.

• 116. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                        John Hawkinson CommunityMVP

From your description it sounds like the styles are missing when you open it in CS5.5. You might try opening it in CS5

(and there you could export to IDML).

Also, if you have other documents with the same styles, you can of course use Paragraph Styles (panel) > Load Styles.

It sounds like your document was just corrupted though. Unfortunately.

• 117. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

I'm working with CS5 and had made the file using the same. So I figured there wouldn't be any compatibility issues.

After creating the file with all the styles I had saved it on my mac's hard drive, an external hard drive and burned it onto a cd. And neither of those files seem to have the styles when I open them in indesign as is. And even when I go to load styles from the same file saved on a different location, it still only shows the basic paragraph style. Its bizarre. I have other files that are working just fine, this is the only problem child so I'm guessing its completely corrupt.

• 118. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                            _acj1123

My keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CS5 have suddenly stopped working.

Some of them work (v = selection tool etc) but the ones that are used to switch tools WHILE using another tool (ie: using the selection tool and then holding down SHIFT = hand tool) has stopped working.

I've followed this instruction and copied the ID Defaults and SavedData files to my desk top and then re-started ID.

Some of the presets were restored to defaults, but not these keyboard shortcuts that I use approx 327 million times a day!

Any other ideas?

Should i have RENAMED the two files instead of just copying over and re-starting the program?

Also, still having trouble with holding the cmd+cntrl+opt+shift at the launch.

• 119. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                              P Spier CommunityMVP

_acj1123 wrote:

My keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CS5 have suddenly stopped working.

Some of them work (v = selection tool etc) but the ones that are used to switch tools WHILE using another tool (ie: using the selection tool and then holding down SHIFT = hand tool) has stopped working.

That's SPACEBAR to get the hand tool....

I've followed this instruction and copied the ID Defaults and SavedData files to my desk top and then re-started ID.

Some of the presets were restored to defaults, but not these keyboard shortcuts that I use approx 327 million times a day!

Any other ideas?

Should i have RENAMED the two files instead of just copying over and re-starting the program?

Also, still having trouble with holding the cmd+cntrl+opt+shift at the launch.

Keyboard shortcut sets are not lost (though it might switch you to the default set rather than a custome set) when you replace the prefs. If reppaling the prefs didn't help you can copy the old ones back where they were. It makes no functional differnce if you've moved or reamed the old ones, they are still available as backup. The keyboard method replaces the current set without saving a backup copy.

• 120. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                ronaebert

You rock! That was the issue...it works now. I will keep the preferences in mind when other odd little issues come up! It seemed like (and is) such and easy thing to do, but I was befuddled. Thanks much.

• 121. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                  Cre8tive428

I was hoping you could help me. I am in InDesign CS3 5.0.4 system OSX 10.4.11 and lately when I print to my Canon MP250 my color is not 100%. It seems as though it's 50% of color. All colors are correct just faded. I spoke to Canon and they told me since emails and other pdfs sent to me by friends print fine that it is something to do with Indesign. Photoshop prints fine too. This just started happening and it's driving me crazy. I called Adobe and they told me that there is no longer phone tech support for CS3. Is there any way you can figure this out? I think I looked at about everything there is to look at.

Sincerely appreciative,

Cre8tive428

• 122. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Cre8tive428: please start a new thread.

• 123. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                      Compositor Rick

Thanks for taking time to help. Much appreciated, Rick

• 124. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Hi Peter,

I did both methods. In the manual prefs replacement, however, in my Win7, I did not see the "InDesign SavedData" file. But I did re-name the InDesign Defaults file, both under the Administrator as user, and "users" as user. I renamed both in the same way - adding an extra underscore. It did not fix the problem. Any further suggestions?

• 125. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

MysticMac: Not to be tongue-in-cheek, but if the manual method is not

working for you, use the automatic Vulcan-nerve-pinch method -- hold

down control-alt-shift while starting InDesign.

• 126. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

I wasn't clear in my previous reply -- when I said "both methods" I meant I had done the hurry-up-and-control-alt-click as Indd is opening, and it did indeed ask me if I wanted to trash my preferences. I answered yes. Problem not fixed. Next I did the manual method, renaming the files. Alas, no fix yet.

• 127. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                              P Spier CommunityMVP

Did you see the confirmation dialog when using the keyboard shortcut method? That would have accomlished a full replacement, and manual repalcement wouldn't do anything new. That said, if you didn't find the InDesign SavedData file you either haven't set Windows to show hidden files, or you looked in the wrong place. It is in a DIFFERENT FOLDER than InDesign Defaults -- go back and look carefully at the paths in the topic start post, or use search to find it.

• 128. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                P Spier CommunityMVP

MystiMac wrote:

I wasn't clear in my previous reply -- when I said "both methods" I meant I had done the hurry-up-and-control-alt-click as Indd is opening, and it did indeed ask me if I wanted to trash my preferences. I answered yes. Problem not fixed. Next I did the manual method, renaming the files. Alas, no fix yet.

Then the problem is not corrupt prefs and we need to look at other remedies.

• 129. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                  mrslaura_k

I have recently upgraded to CS5.5 on my work PC running Windows XP Professional.
                                                                  I have opened both a new Indesign Document and an existing Indesign file and in both cases I have absolutely no keyboard shortcuts not even the backspace button that will delete an object that I have put on the page.
                                                                  I have tried, several times, both re-naming the InDesign Defaults and InDesign SavedData as well as deleting the defaults by holding ctrl + Alt + shift when launching Indesign. Neither of these options have worked.

I have also accessed the keyboard shortcuts preferences from the edit menu and tried to create a new set. The new set button is active but when I click, it does nothing.  I have also tried going through the default shortcuts and setting them and although it looks like it has registered my command in the 'New shortcut:' box in the bottom left, when I click ok and try to use this command in my document still there is nothing working.

Please can you help?

• 130. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                    P Spier CommunityMVP

Your problem also seems to not be preference related. Are you really running XP? What you describe is typical of waht happens in Vista and Windows 7 when you change the system font size and are using an Aero theme. If you listed the OS incorrectly, see InDesign tools and panels don't respond to mouse clicks (Windows 7/Vista)

If it's really XP, though, I think your installation failed in some way.

• 131. Re: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                      llamahandler

You suggested: Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

I have done this with no success.

• 132. Re: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                        Larry G. Schneider CommunityMVP

Peter forgot the /<username>/ in his description of the path

Screen shot 2012-04-24 at 4.52.16 PM.png

Also if you are doing this in 10.7.x you may have to enable hidden files.

• 133. Re: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                          P Spier CommunityMVP

I'm not sure what you mean....

I'm not a Mac user, so I depended on someone else to provide the path, and it looks to me as if it may not be correct. I suspect perhaps they left out the actual username, and the path should really be Hard Drive/Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/

This is a hidden folder on Lion systems, I believe. You can also try the Keyboard method.

Or are you saying that trashing your prefs was not the solution to your problem? It isn't a panacea, but is the best first step for most weirdness that affects the program rather than individual files.

• 134. Re: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                            P Spier CommunityMVP

Thanks for the confirmation, Larry. I'm surprised nobody caught this before.

I'll fix it now....

• 135. Re: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                              llamahandler Community Member

I did go to the user library to eliminate the cache.

I did us the startup combination (a couple of times) to replace preferences, re-installed the program (what a hassle). Still missing something. I appreciate all the possible leads.

• 136. Re: Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Still missing something. I appreciate all the possible leads.

Try removing the following:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5
                                                                                ~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
                                                                                ~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.InDesign
                                                                                ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
                                                                                ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist
                                                                                ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist.lockfile
                                                                                ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState

• 137. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                                  Y Rose Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Indesign has been working fine until this morning, when I tried opening it and nothing happens. I get the hourglass for two seconds and then it returns to an arrow, no error messages. In task manager it does not show up by applications, but it does show indesign is running by processes. I uninstalled and reinstalled indesign, I spoke to adobe and we removed the preference folders, nothing seems to help. I was able to open indesign in my hidden administrator account, but I can't open it in my regular account. Adobe says its a permissions problem - I need to speak to Microsoft - but how do I get throught to them? How do I change the permissions? Also, it worked fine till now in my regular user account, what happened now??

• 138. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                                    P Spier CommunityMVP

Have you tried using Windows' Sytem Restore to go back a few days? You'd have had a better chance of success with that if you'd done it immediatley, but still worth a try.

• 139. Re: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences
                                                                                      Y Rose Community Member

Thanks for replying, in the meantime I ran all the updates from the administrator account, rebooted my computer, and now lo and behold it does open in my regular user account! But there seems to be another issue, and that is, I can't open any documents from their folder, I need to go through indesign to open them...