13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 5:36 AM by Michael_UK

Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...

Michael_UK

Hello.

I am a relatively new user of AE and I have a question I was hoping someone could answer.

I have a short animation (tiff sequence) of a mobile phone and I want to add a movie (another tiff sequence) to the curved screen of the mobile phone. The animation starts with a shot of the phone on its side and then the camera pans to a final resting position above the phone. As you can imagine the screen of the phone is initially not shown but appears as the camera pans into position.

I also have a black and white mask (tiff sequence) which matches the original animation perfectly.

My question is, can I use this black and white mask to somehow display the movie on the mobile phones screen? If so, how?

(I have tried using motion tracking and the perspective corner pins but the screen of the phone is curved so 4 points is not enough)

Thank you for your time and I hope I have explained things clearly.

Br.

Michael

• 1. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
          Michael_UK Level 1

I forgot to mention that the animated black and white mask is of the mobile phone screen.

• 2. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sounds like you got yourself into something that would be more properly done in a 3D app by modeling the phone to scale, 3D matchmoving/ tracking the cam and palcing the virtual phone so it covers the shot one. The only halfway viable way to pull this off inside AE is to use Digieffects' FreeForm to kinda mimic the curvature of the screen, but you will still need some sort of 3D tracking to correctly align it. Beyond that I don't realyl see a good way to pull this off. You may be able to push and pull the replacement footage with displacement effects like Bezier Warp, Mesh Warp and Reshape, but it litterally means that you will have to hand-animate with a ton of keyframes. the §D solution would be much more straightforward and easy to implement.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
              Andy Bay Level 1

If you have a black and white mask that already matches the original animation perfectly like you said, then you don't need any tracking. Simply use the black and white video as a track matte for the image you want to insert in to the phone.

• 4. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can get corner pin tracking to follow the movement you can use your mask as a track matte to match the curved edges of the screen.

A sample of the video would help a lot.

• 5. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                  Michael_UK Level 1

Thank you for all of your replies.

@ Rick Gerard

I have attached a very small wmv showing the motion of the homescreen mask.

@ Mylenium

I have built the phone in 3D and I am rendering it in another program so I can make masks of any part of the phone. However, the rendering program does not allow me to insert a video clip onto the homescreen and then render out the animation. I can only insert stills onto the homescreen at the moment before I render out.

As you can see from the short wmv, the homescreen will initially be hidden in the starting position (the only reason you can see it in the wmv clip is because I deleted the glass top of the phone) and as the camera moves the homescreen comes into view.

@ Andy Bay

I agree. As I have access to a perfect mask of the homescreen I should not need to use tracking for this project.

How hard is it to drop a movie into the track matte and have the movie move in sync with the homescreen?

I need to find a good tutorial!

• 6. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                    Andy Bay Level 1

Use the black&white sequence you have as a luma matte.

It goes like this:

Put the matte sequence as the top layer. Then put the video (that you intend to insert to the phone) below. The set the Trk Mat property of the bottom layer to "Luma Matte".

It will cut a hole on the video layer based on the black and white pixels of the matte layer.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                      However, the rendering program does not allow me to insert a video clip onto the homescreen and then render out the animation. I can only insert stills onto the homescreen at the moment before I render out.

Image sequences? I mean, some programs won't handle clips, but they all handle image seqs, at least the ones I know (Lightwave, modo, Maya, Cinema 4D, MAX, Blender). That aside, please read this article for alternate ways to post-insert video into 3D footage:  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/aftereffects/articles/3d_integration_pt1.html

Mylenium

• 8. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                        Michael_UK Level 1

@ Andy Bay

Thanks for the information. I can now display the movie on the phones screen using the track matte, but it only works properly when the screen is not moving.

When the screen is moving the movie does not sync/move in conjunction with it, it just stays in its original position whilst the rest of the phone moves.

Does this mean I need to somehow line up the movie with the screen in 3D space and then track the movie so that it moves at the same pace as the screen?

@ Mylenium

I am using Autodesk Showcase Professional as my 3D rendering package and I am saving tiff sequences from it. I do not use Maya nor do I currently have the training or knowledge to do so.

• 9. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                          Andy Bay Level 1

Hi!

The black and white mask video should take care of making the video screen transparent.

To make the inserted video also appear like it's being tilted, you are going to have to motion track the screen (or the black and white matte video).

In after effects, you can use the built in tracker that is found under animation>track motion.

However, if you have CS4 then I would recommend using the included planar tracker called Mocha for AE. First you bring the video you want to track into Mocha, then you track it and export the track data back into AE.

• 10. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                            Michael_UK Level 1

Hi Andy.

I have tried tracking the motion of the black and white mask in AE using the perspective corner pin track type and I have the tracking data. The track itself looks OK up to the point where the mask moves to its 'flat' position, then it goes a bit crazy.

Next I tried copying the tracking data and pasting it onto the video layer, but the video remained still and did not move.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your patience.

( I have had a quick play with Mocha too and the tracking data looks very similar to that which I can get straight out of AE. They both find it impossible to track the mask when it flattens out )

• 11. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...

I am using Autodesk Showcase Professional as my 3D rendering package and I am saving tiff sequences from it. I do not use Maya nor do I currently have the training or knowledge to do so.

Ah, I see. That would explain the limitations, naturally. Have you ever considered also getting Maya? At least from the presentations I know, this seems pretty straightforward and reasonably well integrated as simply exporting a Maya file from Studio/ showcase and then let MR render it. Would solve all the problems IMO.

Mylenium

• 12. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                                Andy Bay Level 1

Instead of copying the tracking data that ae tracker produces, select the desired video layer as a target in the tracker control window. Then perform the tracking and hit apply.

It might be hard to track the parts in which the layer is almost flat, but I think you should be able to determine those last few points pretty easily and move them in manually.

• 13. Re: Adding a movie to the screen of an animated mobile phone...
                                  Michael_UK Level 1

Hi andy.

Your method has worked in part, thanks! The movie is now moving (rotationally) in time with the screen.

However, the 'corner pin' has made it look off center and when I try to manually adjust the tracking data frame by frame it keeps jumping back to the old position. By off center I mean that the movie is not filling the screen and it is slightly out of perspective.

@ Mylenium

We use Showcase to create our material libraries and to do 90% of our renders. The other 10% are done in Maya by externals.

Unfortunately, it is currently impossible to export animation fbx's from showcase to maya and to keep the camera 100% in sync when bringing it back into showcase. Also, I would much rather learn After Effects than Maya as I find post production more interesting. Thanks for your advice though.

I have asked for some professional training with After Effects and am looking for accredited courses right now.