ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

I set a scriptUI interface.

http://i.imagehost.org/0754/Image_1.png

I have two buttons :

- one has to add a carriage return on the edittext field

- one has to add tab.

I am using textselection property of the edittext object.

On Mac it works very fine.

On Windows, it just go crazy. Sometimes, it just ignores the click, other times, it adds the element unexpectingly.

ie tab or carriage return are placed everywhere but where I want it.

What do I do wrong ?

TIA Loic

• 1. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
          S.Biancardo Level 1

Can you post your code?

• 2. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
            S.Biancardo Level 1

Try to insert in the text box \n for return and \t for tab

• 3. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

Thanks S.

Indeed, this is what I do and it works well on Mac but not so well in Windows :-S

// Properties for rapidDlg.StaticText1
                  rapidDlg.Group0 = rapidDlg.add('group',undefined);
                  rapidDlg.Group0.returnButton = rapidDlg.Group0.add('button',undefined,"Return");

rapidDlg.Group0.tabButton = rapidDlg.Group0.add('button',undefined,"Tab");

// Properties for rapidDlg.EditText1
                  rapidDlg.EditText1 = rapidDlg.add('edittext',undefined,"//Put some script below\n", {multiline:true, scrollable:false});
                  rapidDlg.EditText1.minimumSize.height = 250;
                  rapidDlg.EditText1.minimumSize.width = 290; 

rapidDlg.Group0.returnButton.onClick=function() {
                                                                              rapidDlg.EditText1.textselection="\n";
                                                                              }
                  rapidDlg.Group0.tabButton.onClick=function() {
                                                                              rapidDlg.EditText1.textselection="\t";
                                                                              }

• 4. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                Peter Kahrel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Loic,

You do nothing wrong. It's due to a (confirmed) bug in textselection. (I didn't know that it was Windows only.) I've had the same problem, and solved it as in http://www.kahrel.plus.com/indesign/grep_edit_alt.html. As a solution it's pretty hopeless but at least I got it to work.

Peter

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your input. I suspected a bug but I was hoping it wasn't.

I will think about something like you propose.

Thanks a lot.

Loic

• 6. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

Ok,

Thanks to Peter, I "solved" the problem.

Here is the result :-)

http://www.loicaigon.com/en/auto.php?goTo=2

• 7. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

What happened to this QuickScript tool? The link appears to now go to CustomExport.

I was thinking about porting Jesse Ruderman's Javascript shell to InDesign, but it looks like you've basically done the work?

• 8. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

Hi,

I finally remove it as I wasn' certain that anyone ever need it. If you want the sources, let me know.

However, I strongly encourage you to have a look at scriptBay from harbs which is 100x more advanced

http://in-tools.com/article/script-bay/script-panel-replacement-for-the-entire-creative-su ite/

Loic

• 9. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Wow, I had no idea about Script Bay! I'm not sure how I missed that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the functionality I want -- to be able to type into a window and get multiple lines of output. I guess I'll probably keep going with the Javascript shell, I almost have it where I want it... Script Bay seems to only give one line of output in the status line, and requires a mouseclick to run the script. Basically I'd like the ESTK's Javascript Console without the rest of the ESTK, and perhaps with a few other features.

Anyhow, thanks for the pointer to Script Bay. It looks quite useful (though not for this application).

• 10. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                            Harbs. Level 6

Hi John,

Just catching up on the forums after being away...

Interesting tool there!

What kind of output would you like to see?

Implementing stepping through scripts in Script Bay would be very difficult to implement although it might be possible. (Although I have no idea how I could handle code blocks, loops, functions and the like...) How important is such a feature?

What might be easier would be to implement a console section which could be populated via functions similar to $.writeln. I hope to implement some global functions in ScriptBay, and console functionality might be a good fit.

The next version of Script Bay will probably not be released before InDesign 7.0.4 due to a bug in InDesign that causes InDesign to crash when a new (as yet unreleased) feature is accessed. The bug will be fixed in the next InDesign update...

Harbs

• 11. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                              Harbs. Level 6

FWIW I had a simpler script similar to Loic's quickscript here (for older version of InDesign).

http://in-tools.com/article/fiddlescript-indesign-scripting-simplified/

Harbs

• 12. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

I've got the javascript shell to where it works for me, but it has horrible UI issues. If I fix them I'll post it.

I want to see the output from my script. I want a fast window where I can do oneliners like:

r=app.activeDocument.rectangles; for (i=0; i<r.length; i++) {
                                $.writeln("rect i starts at "+r[i].visibleBounds[0]); }

and see the output and cut-and-paste it. I don't want to pop up a modal dialog, I want to see what I typed and its output at the same time,  and be able to refine the code I typed ("oops, there's a typo!") quickly.

The ESTK sucks for this both because (1) You have to wait for it (2) You have to switch away from InDesign, which is frustrating for quick things, and sometiems annoying if you want to look at the document while evaluating the output of the script.

I don't really care about singlestepping at all, I'd use this for oneliners.

(Yeah, I know, that's two lines above. Because I don't want to makeyou scroll on the forum. And also beacuse of the DOM is too verbose...

I had forgotten about Fiddlescript. It doesn't really do what I want...since it does nothing with the output, and the window goes away when you run the script. (Philosophically, I'm kind of against .jsxbin stuff for free software. It might've been easier to extend Fiddlescript to do what I wanted, but instead I just started from the Javascript shell, since Fiddlescript's source isn't available. Good thing Ruderman's code was available though. On the other hand, it is filled with browser-specific code that I had to fight against. Maybe starting from scratch would have been faster...)

• 13. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

In case you missed it, I offered you to get my sources for quickrun

• 14. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                    Harbs. Level 6

I'm trying to brainstorm on how to add this functionality to Script Bay.

I'd love to get feedback on this! I started a topic on my forum here:

http://in-tools.com/learning/forum/creative-suite-scripting/script-bay-console/

Harbs

• 16. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                      Mayhem SWE

Looks like I am a bit late to the party, but the reason it does not work properly on Windows is because you're only adding an LF character. Windows uses CRLF for new line in text files and as I found myself yesterday requires it for ScriptUI EditText fields as well, so when on Windows you need to add \r\n rather than just \n. Also a more elegant method for adding linefeeds is to patch the EditText prototype function onEnterKey.

In my current project I add a whole bunch of prototype functions to various objects. Here are just the relevant parts for dealing with linefeeds in mulitiline EditText fields:

EditText.prototype.onEnterKey = function (event) {
                                           if (this.properties.multiline)
                                                this.textselection = String.linebreak, this.dispatchEvent(new UIEvent('changing', false, false, this, null)), this.dispatchEvent(new UIEvent('change', false, false, this, null));
                                      }

ScriptUI.system = function (name) {
                                           return typeof(name) == 'string' ? !Boolean($.os.toLowerCase().indexOf(name.toLowerCase())) : null;
                                      }

String.linebreak = ScriptUI.system('Win') ? '\r\n' : '\n';

Unfortunately my workplace is still stuck on CS3 only so I haven't tested this code with CS4/CS5, but it does work nicely in both Macintosh and Windows versions of CS3.

• 17. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                        Marc Autret Level 4

Hi Mayhem,

I love the way you inject your hack :-)

Unfortunately it does not seem to work over the 2nd line of the edittext (tested in CS4, but please make also a try in CS3 with more than 3 lines).

I think that your assumption is correct: ScriptUI —versions 3, 4, 5...— does not deal with the fact that new line consumes 2 characters in Windows. But in addition —or as a consequence— the edittext widget has a serious problem in updating the textselection property in a multiline context. All behaves as if characters were no more indexed accordingly. Each new line causes a wrong offset in the internal string.

Then the hack sounds to work with the 1st and the 2nd line but —at least in CS4— the textselection position is no more attainable when the user put the pointer at the end of a 3+ lines text. In this case, resetting textselection simply has no effect (the characters are seen as out of range or something). I look for a solution (for years!), but never found a way to compensate this internal error.

Considering that the Ctrl+Enter shortcut works for the user (in Windows), my hope was to emulate this keyboard event from the script, but I'm not very familiar with this kind of events and all my attempts were unsuccessful. Although we can create and dispatch a custom Keyboard event, it does not actually 'occur' in the system, so nothing happens.

I'm really interested to know the results you get in CS3.

Thanks a lot.

Marc

• 18. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                          Mayhem SWE Level 2

You may be right. I haven't been able to do extensive testing on Windows yet, all development has been on CS3 Mac where the hack appears to perform perfectly. I didn't try it on Windows until the other day when I among other issues noticed the EditText multiline linebreaks acting strange. On a hunch I tried the \r\n solution, some quick tests and it seemed to work fine so I didn't think more of it at the time. I'll try to do more extensive tests when I get back to work on Monday, at home I only have access to the Mac version.

But since you say pressing Ctrl+Enter works fine for adding linebreaks in Windows... What do you see in the console when doing $.writeln(<EditText>.text.toSource()) on an EditText field with a Ctrl+Enter linebreak? \n? \r\n? Something else entirely?

I am also very much interested in sending keyboard commands to InDesign, but not for the same reason: I want to send a Tab keypress in order to hide the InDesign UI and only display my own ScriptUI along with a specially prepared template. Sending a Tab keypress on the Mac by way of AppleScript and System Events work fine, but I need a VBScript solution for when the script runs on Windows as well...

• 19. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                            Marc Autret Level 4

Mayhem SWE wrote:

(...)

But since you say pressing Ctrl+Enter works fine for adding linebreaks in Windows... What do you see in the console when doing $.writeln(<EditText>.text.toSource()) on an EditText field with a Ctrl+Enter linebreak? \n? \r\n? Something else entirely?

(...)

AFAIK, on Windows platforms linebreaks are finally encoded as \n in the EditText widget when the user use the Ctrl+Enter trick. Interestingly, the textselection property always returns an empty string in CS3 and CS4 —whatever the text which actually is selected— while it returns the correct string in CS5.

This morning I ran the following test from WinXP with ID CS3, CS4, and CS5:

var w = new Window('dialog');

var e1 = w.add('edittext', [0,0,200,100], '', {multiline:true}),
                                                 b1 = w.add('button', [0,0,350,20], ""),
                                                 b2 = w.add('button', [0,0,350,20], "");

b1.onClick = function()
                                                 {
                                                 var ts = e1.textselection,
                                                      t = e1.text;

b1.text = "EditText.text = " + t.toSource();
                                                 b2.text = "EditText.textselection = " + ts.toSource();

e1.active = true;
                                                 };

w.show();

Here is the result:

EditText.png

(To have the 3 lines I keyed: line1 CTRL ENTER line2 CTRL ENTER line3.)

@+

Marc

• 20. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                              Marc Autret Level 4

Mayhem SWE wrote:

(...)

I am also very much interested in sending keyboard commands to InDesign (...)

I finally discovered a way to get linebreaks in multiline edittext when the user presses ENTER on Windows platform, provided that the window is nonmodal.

The trick is to change ENTER into CTRL ENTER by catching the event (though the onEnterKey handler) and then sending a CTRL ENTER though SendKeys (VB). The reason why it does not work in modal windows (i.e. 'dialog') is that app.doScript() is not available when the dialog has the focus.

Let's try this sample code:

#targetengine 'TestEnterInMultilineEditText'

var WIN_PLATFORM = 0<=$.os.toLowerCase().indexOf('windows');

var sendKeys = WIN_PLATFORM?
                                                   function(k)
                                                   {
                                                   app.doScript([
                                                        // VB CODE
                                                        'set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")',
                                                        'WshShell.SendKeys("'+k+'")'
                                                        // ---
                                                        ].join('\n'),
                                                        ScriptLanguage.visualBasic
                                                        );
                                                   }:
                                                   function(){};

// Test
                                              // ---

var w = new Window('palette');

var e1 = w.add('edittext', [0,0,200,100], '', {multiline:true});

e1.onEnterKey = function(ev)
                                                   {
                                                   // Works ONLY if the Window is not modal (=not a 'dialog')
                                                   // Otherwise app.doScript throws an error
                                                   sendKeys("^{ENTER}");
                                                   };

w.onShow = function()
                                                   {
                                                   // Works whatever the Window type
                                                   // because w is NOT YET active => app is available
                                                   sendKeys("line1^{ENTER}line2^{ENTER}line3{LEFT}");
                                                   }

e1.active = true;

w.show();

Now it would be great to have:

— the alternate hack for Mac platforms,

— a solution to run VB SendKeys() without app.doScript() on Win platforms.

Any idea?

@+

Marc

• 21. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

> Any idea?

Nag the Adobe engineers until they get so sick of us that they'll fix it just to be rid of us. Post bug reports, send requests! To arms!

Peter

• 22. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                  Mayhem SWE Level 2

You were right, my \r\n solution works only with a single manual linebreak. Add more than that and InDesign starts acting weird. As my current work in progress only uses multiline EditText fields on a floating palette your current VBScript workaround works for me, with the Mac version remaining as is (setting textselection to \n) since control+enter does not work to input linebreaks on a Mac anyway.

If you're still looking to implement a Mac equivalent, AppleScript through System Events provide two methods for emulating keyboard input: keystroke can only send keys which characters which can be typed (but can send multiple characters at once) while key code must be used to send for example the cursor keys (and only one at a time). Modifier keys are not part of the keystring but specified afterwards. Examples:

Command + S

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "s" using command down

Shift + Arrow Right

tell application "System Events" to key code 124 using shift down

There will be some work required to translate keys from one system to the other, so the best solution may be to create your own language to use as a source which is then translated into appropriate codes for VBScript and AppleScript.

• 23. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                    Marc Autret Level 4

Hi Mayhem.

Thanks for the information.

If I understand your tests there is no need to send keystroke via AS since you original onEnterKey handler  works for Mac, right? Can you confirm that it works whatever the number  of lines in the EditText and for ID CS3/CS4/CS5? (I think your  workaround is the best for Mac platforms since it also supports modal  dialogs.)

In conclusion, we can use this strategy:

#targetengine 'EditTextLineBreaksInNonModalUI'

var WIN_PLATFORM = 0<=$.os.toLowerCase().indexOf('windows');

var sendKeys = WIN_PLATFORM?
                                                         function(k)
                                                         {
                                                         app.doScript([
                                                              // VB CODE
                                                              'set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")',
                                                              'WshShell.SendKeys("'+k+'")'
                                                              // ---
                                                              ].join('\n'),
                                                              ScriptLanguage.visualBasic
                                                              );
                                                         }:
                                                         null;

var onEnterKeyHandler = WIN_PLATFORM?
                                                         function(/*ev*/)
                                                         { // Windows workaround
                                                         sendKeys("^{ENTER}");
                                                         }:
                                                         function(/*ev*/)
                                                         { // Mac workaround
                                                         this.textselection = '\n';
                                                         this.dispatchEvent(new UIEvent('changing', false, false, this, null));
                                                         this.dispatchEvent(new UIEvent('change', false, false, this, null));
                                                         };

// Test
                                                    // ---

var w = new Window('palette'),
                                                         e1 = w.add('edittext', [0,0,200,100], '', {multiline:true});

e1.onEnterKey = onEnterKeyHandler;
                                                    w.show();

If the above solution works then the original question is 75% answered!

Now we need to find a way to send CTRL ENTER to a modal dialog in Windows...

@+

Marc

• 24. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                      Marc Autret Level 4

pkahrel wrote:

Nag the Adobe engineers until they get so sick of us that they'll fix it just to be rid of us. Post bug reports, send requests! To arms!

I totally agree with you, Peter.

But whatever the future of InDesign our scripts still need to work in older versions, don't they?

@+

Marc

• 25. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                        Mayhem SWE Level 2

If I understand your tests there is no need to send keystroke via AS since you original onEnterKey handler  works for Mac, right? Can you confirm that it works whatever the number  of lines in the EditText and for ID CS3/CS4/CS5? (I think your  workaround is the best for Mac platforms since it also supports modal  dialogs.)

I have not been able to test CS4 or CS5 yet, but can confirm insertion of multiple linebreaks works perfectly for CS3 on Mac. Your code is quite, umm, verbose! Here is a clean and compact version without any dependencies for those of you who just want to add as little as possible to your existing projects. Make sure it gets executed before adding any EditText elements to your windows and you won't need to bother with anything else!

EditText.prototype.onEnterKey = function (event) {
                                                             if (this.properties.multiline) {
                                                                  if ($.os.toLowerCase().indexOf('mac') == 0)
                                                                       this.textselection = '\n', this.dispatchEvent(new UIEvent('changing')), this.dispatchEvent(new UIEvent('change'));
                                                                  else if ($.os.toLowerCase().indexOf('win') == 0 && !app.modalState)
                                                                       app.doScript('set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")\nWshShell.SendKeys("^{ENTER}")', ScriptLanguage.VISUAL_BASIC);
                                                             }
                                                        }

The only issue on the Mac is that ScriptUI does not register events when textselection is modified. Thus onChanging never gets triggered and if the only change you made was the linebreak(s) then onChange will not fire either, which is why I am dispatching both events manually. Much better would be if one only had to dispatch onChanging and then could set the change "flag" somehow so that ScriptUI would triggers onChange as normal when the element loses focus... anyone know if something like that is possible?

• 26. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                          Mayhem SWE Level 2

Browsing the forum today I've noticed the syntax for creating event objects seems to have changed with CS4, my code above is for CS3 so will not be fully compatible with newer versions. Is the notify() function still available and using the same syntax in ScriptUI CS4/CS5? If so that might be the most straightforward and compatible solution. I can't quite get it to work properly though, notify("onChange") works as expected (or simply notify() as change is the default event for EditText objects) but despite what the documentation claims notify("onChanging") never fires the changing event handler for me. Any ideas?

• 27. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

Mayhem,

>all development has been on CS3 Mac where the hack appears to perform perfectly

You might be in for a surprise when you move to CS4 or 5. The textedit control worked rather well in CS3 (Windows), with Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Tab doing a good job inserting new lines and tabs, and staying in focus; the Copy and Paste shortcuts, too, work fine in CS3.

In CS4 it was almost completely broken: Ctrl+Enter stopped working most of the time, I forget what happened to Ctrl+Tab, but most annoyingly, Enter/Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Tab were sent to a document or the app instead of to the edittext control; same for the Copy and Paste shorcuts.

In CS5 things have improved but aren't back to the level of CS3.

Peter

• 28. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem

>so that ScriptUI would triggers onChange as normal when the element loses focus

Focus appears to be a big problem in ScriptUI in palettes. For example, your EditText.prototype.onEnterKey works fine in CS5/Windows, but only in dialogs. In palettes, Ctrl+Enter fires up the QuickApply menu. This doesn't answer your question entirely, but I just wanted to point out that there are focus problems in ScriptUI.

Peter

• 29. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                                Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Hi Marc,

I tried your script but when I press enter the quick apply menu comes up.

AFAIK This is because you use WshShell.SendKeys which does not distinguish between the regular and the number pad enter in order to do this apparently one has to use WshShell.SendInput. So says here.

As I don't know VB one bit (might learn it one day if I get a mac )

Do you have any idea of how to do this?

Thanks

Trevor

P.s.

Did you see my scrollable panel function #6 in http://forums.adobe.com/message/5396270#5396270 you might even find it useful.

• 30. Re: ScriptUI : edittext live modifications problem
                                                                  michelr31372089 Level 2

Hi all,

The following example shows that it is possible to load an editText selection in a variable.

[Code]

// MAC Finder ou WINDOWS Explorer, on autorise le double clic  et on fait passer Photoshop au 1er plan

#target photoshop

app.bringToFront();

var text = "My tailor is very rich !"

var dlgBox=new Window ("dialog",text);

dlgBox.orientation="row";

dlgBox.add ("statictext", undefined,"Name:");

var myText= dlgBox.add("edittext", undefined,text);

myText.characters= 30;

myText.active=true;

var button=dlgBox.add ("button", undefined,"OK");

dlgBox.add ("button", undefined,"Cancel");

dlgBox.show();

button.onClick=selection(myText);

function selection(text)

{

alert(myText.textselection);

}

[/Code]

Excuse my poor English.