11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 10:31 PM by jackscon joseph

Playback preview does NOT work - V8

cb-css

I have used Version 7 before importing slideshows and creating DVD with music. Now with version 8 - I get no image on the monitor. Not for the still image or the disc menu. I am using a Vista machine.

• 1. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you be more specific about the process you're using to create these slideshows and at what point you're not seeing your photos?

Also, have you resized all of your photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per our FAQs?

• 2. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do need to resize your still images, this ARTICLE will provide tips on how to automate the process in PS/PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
              cb-css Level 1

The slideshow was created in Photoshop Elements V7 consisting of normal .jpg files and music. Even if I only took one slide - I still do not get an image on the monitor - only white screen is displayed.

• 4. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know what a 'normal' JPEG is -- but are your photos sized to no larger than 1000x750?

And what system are you using to get the slideshow from Photo Elements 7 to Premiere Elements 8? There is no direct route that I know of.

Also, have you gone to the ATI or nVidia web site and ensured you have the latest drivers for your video card? That can make a big difference!

• 5. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                  cb-css Level 1

The photos are .jpg format and are 945x709 pixels. I recreated the slideshows in Photoshop Elements 8 and sent it to Premiere. I also tried just importing the photos into Premiere - via getting media. Eeven using only one photo instead of the slideshow I still only get a white screen in the Monitor window.

• 6. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                    cb-css Level 1

I did disable the GPU playback with no results.

The monitor only displays a white screen, if I double click on it - it will display the slide selected at the time; however when I press playback - it switches to a white screen.

I can hear the audio and the time indicator is moving. It even shows the name of the slides as it scrolls through the slides (the purple bar above the control bar) without showing the slides.

All the slides are less than 1000x750 and even when I select only slide - I do not get an image.

I did the original slideshow and DVD in V7 and never experienced something like this.

This machine is huge in capacity 300GB (C: 150 and D: 150) and external Hard Disk of 300MB which I use to store the projects; 150GB capacity for the scratch pads with 2GHz duo processor and 4GB in RAM

Although the machine is only 3 months old - I already downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver recently GeForce9600M GT

Carosin Buitendag

Cell : 082 458 3678

Email : carosin@mweb.co.za

Fax : 086 685 5908

P O Box 1635

Rivonia

• 7. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      The photos are .jpg format and are 945x709 pixels. I recreated the slideshows in Photoshop Elements 8 and sent it to Premiere. I also tried just importing the photos into Premiere - via getting media. Eeven using only one photo instead of the slideshow I still only get a white screen in the Monitor window.

Thank you for that information. That size will not be an issue.

Now, you say that you tried Importing a JPEG into PrE and still had a display issue with it. Is that correct?

If so, my next question would be - have you updated your video driver recently? If not, I would do so.

I see that you have a follow up post, and I'll head to it next.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I did disable the GPU playback with no results.

OK, thanks for reporting this.

Look in your Display Hardware Settings (exact location can change by OS and OS-version), and see if you have Hardware Acceleration set. If it's to the Max, turn it to the Min, and test. If Min, set to Max and test. If you go from Max to Min and things work, then try going up one increment at a time, until they cease to work. Step back one increment.

Since you have an nVidia card, check the nVidia console to see if either the PhysX, or 3D Stereovision modules are loaded. If so, unload them and turn them OFF, so they do not load on the next bootup. Test PrE 8 again.

Check the nVidia site for a later driver for your card. Install it, but do check for those two modules, listed above. You do NOT want either on your system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, back in PrE 8, with your Timeline open, hit the Enter key to Render. Hit playback, when it completes. Does this change anything?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            The photos are .jpg format and are 945x709 pixels

One question about the JPEG's. They are not Progressive, are they? You might have to check in PSE to make sure. I do not know if the Properties Panel in PrE 8 will tell you. Progressive JPEG's are designed for the Web, so that the user gets the image "painted" in, while the actual image loads to the Web page. For Video work, you do not want Progressive JPEG's, because the video editor cannot "progressively paint" in the image. You need a straight JPEG, which will have the full image all of the time.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Playback preview does NOT work - V8
                              jackscon joseph Level 1

Slideshow would work if you having similar versions PSE 8 and PRE 8. Check what are version you are installed in your machine.