7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 8:25 AM by zjimbo

Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?

zjimbo Level 1

This may sound like a simple question for some of the pros, but I have almost got my project finished.

I need to know if after I back up my Master Project on a DVD can I delete my HHD files and use the saved project from the DVD to edit any future work?

I guess what I'm asking is if the DVD needs any of the encoded, cashe, or saved files on my HHD to make it run.

I used Nero8 to burn it to a Standard DVD. The time is 104 minutes of HD files I took using mini cassetts.

The DVD will not work on my home DVD player, but I still need to add menus and do a few last minute touch ups.

I was hoping to clean up my HHD from the previous (over a years) worth of files and bits and peices.

Thanks once again.

Jim

• 1. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
          pebalsamo Level 2

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are asking or what you are trying to do, but I am going to give it a shot.

When you say you burned your project to a DVD but that you had over 100 min of HD files, are you putting the files on the DVD as a Data DVD or as playable DVD video?  If as playable DVD video then that is NOT a backup, if you are making a Data DVD to store your original files I have a hard time believing that you can fit over 100 min of footage onto a single DVD.

When I want to back something up I make a complete backup onto an external HDD (Hard Disk Drive).  You do not need the media cache, really all you need is the project files and any meida that you had used.  The saying that I have always heard and stick to is that if it is not backed up twice it is not backed up at all.  So for tapeless footage that we shoot it goes onto two seperate HDD's afterwards, for project backups they too go onto two HDD's.

Hopefully that answered at least part of your question...

Phil

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
            zjimbo Level 1

Thanks for the answer. The project is stored, saved, or burned to a DVD.

When I put the burnt DVD in my "E" drive (or DVD player/burner) installed in my computer it comes up as a my project in "E" drive.

It is a complete Primire Pro CS4 project. I has all my edits and effects just like it does when I open it from my HHD.

I can put the DVD in my wives computer and it shows it is there but it will not open because she does not have CS4 installed.

So it is not a movie. It is an exact copy of what the project looks like on my HHD.

I can edit on it and do everything I did from the HHD copy.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to question my responces.

I really do want to clean up my HHD and start over with a single file. Hopefully gererated by the DVD.

It seems like I could delete my files. It would be like I made this copy and sent it to you to do a final edit and add menus. You would not have the origional files on your HHD.

After you loaded to you could then send it to your HHD and do whatever - Right?

Jim

• 3. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
              zjimbo Level 1

Hey Phil, I just reread your post.

I have backed up some files by recording back onto my camera.

When I play them back they look like a movie. Then it is not a project.

But when I burnt the files to a DVD they played back like my origional Premire project.

• 4. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
                pebalsamo Level 2

So it is maybe just the Project file that is on your DVD? 

On your HDD make a new folder and slip all your Footage clips into this new folder and then try to open the project from your DVD drive.  If it open with all the video clips and does not ask you where they went then I guess you have a complete backup on that DVD.  I am just guessing that the project on your DVD is reading the footage files from your HDD.  Just a guess. 

If it does work correctly then I would make a second copy of that DVD so that you have two and then go about what ever cleaning up you want to do on your computer.  If it does not open correctly I would go out and buy a external HDD to use as a backup and then drag and drop your entire project onto that external HDD.

Phil

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
                  zjimbo Level 1

Good idea about the new folder. I did not kmow you could do that and it would work that way.

I have three internal HHD's and one external HHD.

The idea is not to make any more back ups - I've got that coverd.

What I want to do is clean up my HHD's from all the clutter.

I have so many clips from so many down loads they are getting to be mess.

I am sort of annal about keeping things neat and simple.

Jim

• 6. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

zjimbo:

At the video production company I work for, we have tried many forms of backup. In my opinion, a safe DVD-based backup can best be put together by first opening the project you want to backup, in Premiere.  Next go to the Project menu. From the Project menu select Project Manager. Once in Project Manager, Create a complete copy of your project to one of your internal drives. Premiere will place this copy in a folder and it will contain everything you need to re-open the project and edit it at a later date. Before burning any disks, first open this copied project, just to make sure everything is good. Burn the entire folder that was exported from Premiere's Project Manager to DVD. As another person suggested, make a couple of copies. Use good quality DVD disks.  The guy at the duplication house we use recommends Verbatim. He also recommends that you don't use Memorex disks.

• 7. Re: Is it safe to delete the origional files on my HHD after I have them burned to a DVD?
                      zjimbo Level 1

Hello Chuck: I will need to do like you said. You Guys was right, the DVD is reading it's files from the HHD. It did not work when I put the files in a separate folder.

Thanks for answereing my question.