9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 9:26 AM by Mark C. Dahm

help please

rochellest

Please Help!!! I

have pictures stuck in the starter edition of photo shop

. I don't know how the got there but I cannot

e-mail burn, or move the to a new file. As many

others all i can do is look at them. These R pictures of my husband before he passed away

recently. His Last Christmas,Last Birthday, and last vacation. I really want to put them on a disk so i can look at them any time and any where.

Please Help Me Thanks

• 1. Re: help please
          Mark C. Dahm Adobe Employee

The photos you see in Starter Edition aren't 'in' the program, but remain wherever they were when you 'imported' them. That is to say that if your photos were originally in your My Photos folder when you added them, they are still there, unless they were otherwise moved or deleted.

To find out where the program 'thinks' the files are:

1. click on one of the photos

2. Open the properties pane by selecting View > Properties (Alt-Enter)

3. At the bottom of the properties pane is an icon of a folder, and a path where the file originally existed. You can click on the folder icon to open that location, if the folder still exists. If it's not there, then the file was moved (Starter Edition does not move files itself, so it would have been moved by some other process). From here, you would need to look around to see or remember where you may have moved the files.

I hope you can locate those files; please let me know if you have any other questions.

-Mark

• 2. Re: help please
            rochellest Level 1

Thanks for the help but it did not work. I did as u told me and this is what happened:

It searched for the file and when it brought it up like u said there was a folder at the bottom.Clicked on that and at the top it said Tip  The source files for the item you've selected cannot be found at the locations stored in the catalog. They may have been moved and / or renamed. Please reconnect these catalog items to there source files.

I am not sure what all that means but I still cannot get my pictures. any other suggestions.

Thanks

Rochelle P. St.Amour

• 3. Re: help please

The program is saying that the file was moved. Hopefully, it was not deleted. You could try the Reconnect command (under the File menu) , which will cause Photoshop Album to search your whole hard drive for the missing file; if it finds a match, then it'll reconnect, then you could use that same process as previously described to find out where they are on your system.

-Mark

• 4. Re: help please
                rochellest Level 1

Mark

First I want to thank u for all your help but nothing seems to work.Can u think of any other way to get these photos? There must be a way I did not delete them or i do not think i did. They just showed up in this file. This is crazy that adobe cannot help with this. Do u think I Will ever be able to get the photos? Maybe u have some other ideas. Thanks again

Rochelle P. St.Amour

• 5. Re: help please

Rochelle,

When you do the File>Reconnect command, then click the browse button, there is a file name and location under the image that appears on the left side; does that path begin with a C:...?

If the answer is yes, then the first text string above that link is the name of the file (it's in bold); cancel out of the reconnect dialog by clicking Close, and use the Windows Search tool to see where they might be. Go to Start>Search, and type in the name of the file.

If Windows is unable to find it, then that would mean that the files were deleted, and the only other recource I could think of would be to try a file restore utility to try to reclaim the deleted file from the drive. If the file was in fact deleted, at least Starter Edition has the small thumbnail of the file that it generated when the file was originally imported.

-Mark

• 6. Re: help please
                    rochellest Level 1

Mark

I tried what u said about the recovery it did not work so maybe they have been deleted. I goggle file restore utility. I got several and am not sure what to do from there. Will the restore hurt my computer.? Dose it cost anything? I am not sure what to do now . Thanks

Rochelle P. St.Amour

• 7. Re: help please

I'll try to contact you offline to see if we can find those files.

-Mark

• 8. Re: help please
                        rochellest Level 1

Mark

Thank u for all your help. I do not want to do anything that will give u access to my computer i do have a lot of personal information in there.. I hope u would understand in this day and age trust is very low to strangers. I am very grateful for all of your help and hope there is a different way to get the photos.

Thank You

Rochelle P. St.Amour

• 9. Re: help please

I totally understand your position. You should do all you can to try to find those files using Windows Explorer.

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.search.html

Before following the above instructions, go into Starter Edition, get the file names of the files that are not being located in Starter Edition, and then enter that into the Search tool in Windows to find the files.

-Mark