14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 11:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Should I buy

oseven856

Looking through this forum suggests many problems with both PE7and PE8.

I have always used Ulead Mediastudio Pro. but will probably be changing to Windows7 in the New Year, the Ulead prog. only works on XP.

I thought Adobe was the no.1 company but problems highlighted here suggest otherwise.

Does anyone have PE8 working on an XP machine?

I have not seen any mention of crashing problems in the press although the recent Computer Shopper Review doesn't seem to think much of PE8.

• 1. Re: Should I buy
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion would be to find AT Romano's recent articles on "first impressions," of PrE 8. I do not recall his OS. He contributed to many threads on PrE 8, and I would seek out his comments.

Next, Steve Grisetti has been running PrE 8 for sometime - long enough to write a book about it.

Both of these contributors have well-maintained machines, built and setup for NLE work, though I do not think that either is running on a full NLE workstation, just a well-maintained, adequately powerful enough computer, like anybody could buy, or build.

They have both had few issues, other than some interface changes, but have reported on about everything in PrE 8. As both have used previous versions of PrE, they would be excellent sources to discuss any changes in PrE 8.

I'd put far more faith in their posts, than any reviewer (who knows if they have ever used an NLE before,?), or the "average" user, who might have a poorly maintained machine.

After the reading, you might post with your system's specs. (including going to Win7), for comments from them on what you might wish to modify, replace, etc., on your computer. They can also step you through the setup of your computer for maximum use and enjoyment.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should I buy
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Hunt says, I have both version 7 and 8 running fine on two different machines -- an XP and Windows 7 machine.  Version 8 needs a lot more resources, but it's reasonably stable on a well-maintained system.

But, as we always says, your mileage may vary. Lots depends on the quality of your hardare (Dell and HP computers stand a better chance than Compaq, Gateway and eMachines), how well you maintain your system and what type of camcorder your video is coming from.

The best advice is to download the free trial and give it a good test drive.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Should I buy
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for weighing-in. I greatly value your's and ATR's input in these matters, because I know that both of you know the program, and the ones that came before it, plus have good, solid machines, on which you run the program. You've both also shared your impressions and experiences in this forum, which is of such value to one, as the OP.

Magazine and Web reviews can offer some useful info, but not nearly so much as a real user of the program.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Should I buy
                oseven856 Level 1

I have three hard drives 300gb each

Processors; AMD 64x2 Dual core4200+

Nvidia GeForce 7800gt graphics card.

The above allows me to sail through editing and rendering with Mediastudio.

Is it enough for PE8 ?

• 5. Re: Should I buy
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Is it enough for PE8 ?

The 3x HDD setup is very good. Too many try to edit video on a machine with a single HDD, and worse yet, some even partition that HDD - a poor decision.

The only caveat that I would offer would be if you wanted to edit AVCHD material. That material is highly CPU intensive. Many users state that a Quad-core is the absolute minimum CPU to work with it, and some say that nothing below the latest i7's do a good job for them.

What material do you plan on editing? That could make a difference. Otherwise, for other materials, you should be just fine. There are also several articles on setting up and maintaining one's computer for NLE work in both the FAQ's and the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, accessed via the panel to the right of the main forum page. These are well worth reading.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Should I buy
                    oseven856 Level 1

Editing simple AVI files. Nothing complicated.

Sugeesting altering/upgrading my computer to use PE8 is out of the question.

Perhaps I should stick with XP and carry on using Mediastudio.

Thanks for your replies.

• 7. Re: Should I buy
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Editing simple AVI files. Nothing complicated.

For SD editing with DV-AVI Type II files as your source, your computer should be just fine.

Now, almost all computers can benefit from some maintenance and a little tweaking for NLE work, but these steps are very simple, and will allow one to get the most from their computer. HERE is an example of things that one can do to get maximum performance. Steve also has several FAQ articles on similar tweaks for editing.

These tweaks are not specific to Adobe NLE's. Most of my article came from years of using Pinnacle and Avid, before I moved to Adobe.

Good luck, and happy editing!

Hunt

• 8. Re: Should I buy
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

A couple of things to remember, I think.

One is that forums, such as this, is where people come with problems, complaints, and questions. You're not going to see posts from people that are perfectly happy and have no issues or questions, even though that might be the vast majority.

The second is that Premiere Elements - and all video editors - are probably one of the most demanding apps you can install on a system. If there's anything amiss - buggy video drivers, sub-par codecs, flaky audio systems, cheap DVD burners, marginal RAM or hard disk capacity, etc., etc. - the software is sure to find it! And the more powerful the software, the more demands it can make. Yes, Premiere Elements has bugs like any software, but it's funny how many times "bugs" in Premiere are solved by updating a video driver or something similar!

As an example: a few years back Premiere would blow up every time I tried to open one of my video files. I was cursing Premiere and Adobe because it was just so frustrating. Then I noticed that when I'd try to open the file in Windows Explorer, Explorer would blow up, too. Hmm. Did a little research, and found out it was a bug in Windows - when it tried to build the thumbnail for the file it somehow corrupted it. A registry hack to turn off thumbnails for video files fixed the problem. Moral of the story: what looked like a Premiere bug was actually a Windows bug - my anger with Adobe was a case of "shooting the messenger".

I've been running PRE3, 4, and 7 for many years on (generally mid-range) Dells - currently PRE7 on XP SP3 - and have had amazingly few problems. I've hit a bug or two over the years, but never something that couldn't be worked around or fixed (sometimes with the assistance of the very smart and very helpful people on this forum). The issues that I have are almost always dealing with my own limitations - something else that the forum denizens are helpful with fixing!

• 9. Re: Should I buy
                          oseven856 Level 1

Just looked on requirements page for PE8 says the following.

1.6ghz processor

1gb ram ( I have 2gb. )

IE 6 or above ( I have IE8 )

Therefore it should run easily.

No-one shuold have to hack the registry to get a commercially available product to work. Surely.

• 10. Re: Should I buy
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Good points all.

One is that forums, such as this, is where people come with problems, complaints, and questions. You're not going to see posts from people that are perfectly happy and have no issues or questions, even though that might be the vast majority.

This one is especially true, and is why I suggested ATR's articles on PrE 8, and Steve's. We know that they have good, well-maintained machines, and are also trusted users of PrE. I know that I can rely on their observations and comments. Same as for your's.

So many encounter a problem and post a rant instead of furnishing necessary details.

In my years of troubleshooting Adobe programs on these fora, I have found that problems break down thusly:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

4.) OE

5.) Real Bugs in program

The order, based on experience, is the same, with "Real Bugs," being so far down, that I could not do a graph to reflect it, though some DO exist, and are usually found in these fora.

For those with problems, should they read this post - please post the full and complete details of 1 through 4. On 4., please tell us exactly what you are doing, and what you are trying to accomplish.

OK - off the soapbox, and sorry for hijacking a great thread on whether one should buy and use PrE 8. I just try to get those thoughts out as much as I can to help people see what is important for us to help them.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Should I buy
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              No-one shuold have to hack the registry to get a commercially available product to work. Surely.

Absolutely NOT! The tweaks mentioned are mostly for cleaning out bloatware and other detritus, that can either be installed by Dell, HP, or whomever, or gets added by other programs. Most of these items are totally unnecessary and can rob resources from the NLE program. The rest are just common-sense tips and actually apply to non-NLE computers.

Now, a good Registry cleaner, like CCleaner, is a wise tool to use about once per week, as installations can leave a lot of "stuff" behind and this builds up. That is NOT hacking the Registry, but only removing detrius, that gets in the way.

IE 6 or above ( I have IE8 )

One comment here. Some Adobe users have indicated issues with IE8. Most, but not all, have been around the Help files, which are now accessed via the Web and Adobe's site. I am still on IE 7, and have had zero issues. Many with IE8 have no issues either, though some have. Just something to think about and keep in the back of your mind.

I disallowed MS to even think about IE8, until the jury is fully in for all of my computers - don't even THINK about, I told it. So far, MS Updater has listened. One day I might allow it, but not yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Should I buy
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Again, there's no substitute for test driving it on your machine with real world video clips from the camcorder you'll be using. System requirements and other specs just don't tell the whole story.

• 13. Re: Should I buy
                                  oseven856 Level 1

Thanks for all th replies but I am not convinced.

Reading through the problems others are having does not lead me to believe that running CCleaner would make any difference. Neither should it as the rubbish it would clear would amount to nothing more than a few mbs. IE8 should also not afffect how a prog. runs.

If all the problems could be solved with these two suggestions I am sure the prsons posting would retract their complaints.

Also if the problems are minimal why did the latest edition of Computer Shopper mention crash problems in its review and not put it on its reccommended list? Pre 7 was always no.1 in this and many other magazines.

I think I will stick with what I have until Adobe solve the problem.

• 14. Re: Should I buy
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Reading through the problems others are having does not lead me to believe that running CCleaner would make any difference. Neither should it as the rubbish it would clear would amount to nothing more than a few mbs.

Oh, running CCleaner is not a cure-all, and is not targeted at PrE, any version. It is but one tiny step in a full maintenance program for all computers, NLE, or not. Read through Steve's FAQ's for many, many more suggestions on maintaining a computer, any computer. Now, using any NLE program will likely stress a computer more than any other operation, and in ways that most programs will never do it.

Many of the users with issues have had poorly maintained, or greatly underpowered machines. Most have gotten resolution by cleaning things up, getting the latest driver updates (both audio & video), updating firmware for their burners, or getting rid of partitions and the like. Many have found that just adding another HDD, or two, has solved all of their issues. Remember, running any NLE is much different than checking e-mail and doing light accounting on a computer.

One area that I do take issue with is in the "minimum" system requirements. I feel that these are misleading, and would love to see Adobe and many others, bump these up to real world usage of the programs.

IE8 should also not afffect how a prog. runs.

The issues with IE 8 have actually been reported in many Adobe program fora. I only recall one mention of it regarding PrE 8, and do not recall if it was an issue in the problem, or just mentioned in passing.

If all the problems could be solved with these two suggestions I am sure the prsons posting would retract their complaints.

In many cases, they have returned and reported on their success. As often happens though, is that posters show up, state a problem and give zero details. Other users will request that info, and it is not forthcoming. One might wonder if one's system specs. are "state secrets," or something. Even with details, there will be posts to the effect, "I tried everything you folk suggested and nothing worked. If you do not know the answer, don't waste my time... " In these cases, it would be much better to list exactly which steps were tried, and what the exact results were. In many cases, we'll link to articles with many different troubleshooting steps. Obviously, some will yield no results. All too often, a poster will come back, several replies down the thread and issue a statement along the lines of "well, no thanks to any of you, I solved my problem by doing X." If one looks back, they'll find that that very proceedure was suggested in, say reply #2. It was just above one of those "I tried everything and got nowhere" posts

Then there are the "I can't believe that my video driver could be tied to a display/playback issue. You people are dumber than dirt." OK, what does a video driver do? Because the GUI displays, does not mean that Video playback will. Programs like PrE interface with the display driver more so than anything, but serious gaming, and some of the aspects that work for gaming do not work for NLE work.

Some posters show up, list their problem, get useful replies, fix their system/program/Project, and just go off to edit successfully, and we never hear from them again. The forum does not do customer service followup. We never know if we got it right, or not. That's why I always urge and applaud a poster who comes back and tells us if what we suggested worked, or not. Sometimes we miss the cause, and we all learn something from the reply telling us what DID work. Sometimes, it was something that was omitted in the thread, but often it was something that none of us had ever considered. Those are the best, because we all learn from them.

if the problems are minimal why did the latest edition of Computer Shopper mention crash problems in its review and not put it on its reccommended list? Pre 7 was always no.1 in this and many other magazines

I know noting of how qualfied the reviewers on Computer Shopper are, or are not, to review an NLE program. They might be excellent, or not so much. I just do not know. I also do not know the equipment that they tested on. That was why I suggested looking at posts and comments from two power-users, Steve Grisetti and AT Romano. I know their equipment, their level of knowledge of NLE programs, and their pragmatism with testing and using NLE's. I respect their observations.

I think I will stick with what I have until Adobe solve the problem.

That is the beauty of a free-market system, especially one where the consumer has choices. In the PrPro forum, I see many people who decide to buy Mac's and purchase Final Cut Pro. The same with Sony Vegas Pro, or Edius. Here, many go for a lower level Vegas, Magix or CyberLink, or other. In the end, these programs are but tools and some work better for some folk, with their Assets, Projects and computers, than they do for others. For some, it's a decision on workflow, and how they like to do things. I could probably do 75% of my editing with PrE, but choose to use PrPro, because it works better for me and the way I like to edit. In the end, it's very personal.

Good luck,

Hunt