8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 6:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4

JMLC1234

Help, I have raw footage shot in HD

V 720p 24fps. I am on a PC with Windows XP Pro. When I play the clips on windows media player, they are fine. When I import them into Premiere Pro CS4 they have horizontal razor like flickering across the screen, especially during motion or fast moving scenes. I have Matrox Axio LE as well. I built an editing computer just for video editing and this is very annoying. I am new to Premiere Pro and am wondering what I am doing wrong. Help.

• 1. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
          TL2121 Level 1

jm

What camera and format did you shoot this 720p 24 with? Is it AVCHD? EX? DVCPROHD? what sequence settings are you using?

make sure that you pick the correct 720 24 PROGRESSIVE sequence settings when creating a new sequence. I'm assuming your placing progressive footage in an interlaced sequence- could that be? make sure you get your sequence settings correct before placing your 720p footage in there.

How do you like that Axio? I've worked with Matrox but it was the cheaper RTX100 I think at a shop I used to work at and I HATED it- so many damn bugs and when Premiere came out with an update you had to wait a month for Matrox to catch up- Is AXIO any good?

it seems expensive

Hope any of this helps

Good luck keep us updated

• 2. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
            JMLC1234 Level 1

I shot this with a JVC GY-HD200UB ProHD camera in HDV-HD24P. Sequence settings are either HDV>HDV 720p24 (progressive scan) or Matrox-HD>720p@23.98fps (progressive scan). I've read that this is an interlace problem, that's why I'm lost on this one. You are right about the Matrox and it was expensive. Haven't really decided whether it was worth it or not yet. Any help will be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
              TL2121 Level 1

JVC GY-HD200UB ProHD-- I've read that is a nice camera

what does the footage do when you import into 720 30p sequence?

Are you 100% that it wasn't recorded in the 720 25p? what about 720 60p?

I wish I could be of more help but never used this camera before

So please check your camera settings again and make absolutely sure that it was recorded 720 24p.

After some additional readings I found out that your camera can record to an S^%* load of formats-

Anyone else here with this camera that can provide more hands on experience for JM?

Check all your camera settings again just to be sure JM

Good Luck

I'll post if I can find anything else- i've read some people with fcp have had trouble editing this footage as well- go to bh's product page for your camera and read the reviews- that's where I read about a similar issue with fcp

• 4. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
                TL2121 Level 1

Look at this! I may have found it

Try XDcam EX sequence preset for 720p 24p- that may be it as Mr. Colin Brougham suggests in the below thread look for response #3 and read it- read the whole thread as well It may help

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2247680#2247680

let me know if this worked

Good Luck

Tony

• 5. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
                  JMLC1234 Level 1

Nope, this is being imported right and I expect it to work. Thanks for trying. Still don't have any answers to my problem.

• 6. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

How are you monitoring for quality?

• 7. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
                      JMLC1234 Level 1

I am monitoring with playback settings set to "Matrox'

on a flat screen tv, the flickering does not occur there, only in the premiere pro source monitor or the program monitor. The only other option in playback settings is "Adobe" but it doesn't change a thing. Still need an answer to this problem.

• 8. Re: Horizontal flickering in Premiere Pro CS4
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

on a flat screen tv, the flickering does not occur there, only in the premiere pro source monitor or the program monitor.

Then don't worry too much about it.  The built in monitors are for viewing content only.  External monitors are for quality control.  If it looks good there, you're set.

1 person found this helpful