13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 7:34 PM by the_wine_snob

Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12

Mr. Guzie Level 1

I am attempting to make a stop motion animation project using PE8 with my Sony HDR-SR12.  PE8 doesn't want to recognize the device.  Does anyone know if this camera is not compatibe?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That's an AVCHD camcorder, so the video is compatible with the program -- although AVCHD needs a pretty hefty computer to work with. Ideally a quad core with 4 or more gigs of RAM.

But you say you're working with stop motion? Does that mean you're just taking still photos with the camcorder? Then it will certainly work, although you may want to optimize the photo sizes for best performance.

• 2. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
            Mr. Guzie Level 1

Thanks for the reply Steve.  Within PE there is the option to "capture" in "Stop Motion" which looks to me as though it should directly control my video camera and allow me to capture, frame by frame, images through my camera directly into PE.  PE has some great tools built in (onionskinning) that would really speed up the production time.  There are some tutorials floating around the web as to how this works but it essentially allows you to create still motion animation videos.

My issue it that PE does not recognize my camera as a device and that's why I am questioning whether or not it is supported.  The HDR-SR12 does not have firewire capability and I am begining to think that maybe the issue.  PE does state the HDV is not supported via USB port but to be honest I am not sure if my camera is HDV.  I know it's AVCHD, is that the same as HDV?

• 3. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With HDD, flash memory, and similar cameras, the method of acquiring the footage is to copy it over to the computer's HDD. From there, one would Import, rather than Capture. I can only guess, but would assume that Stop Motion would not be available when doing Import vs Capture.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                Kwing Flyer

You are wasting your time with Premiere Elements.

I have a dedicated editing computer; Intel Quadcore, P6T MB, 12 gig ram, Nvidia 9800 video, Win 7 and I still can't edit HD with PRE8. There is a design flaw with PRE8, it can't be overcome with the best desktop hardware availavble, I serriously doubt that Adobe, India ever tested AVCHD editing with Elements 8. If any testing was done it must have been on their mainframe server, PC's simply can't edit video in AVCHD using PRE8 if the files are over a few minutes in length. Multi camera HD edits are impossible, I have wasted many hours trying to get this bug infested PRE8 to perform correctly. Adobe knows they screwed up, they even went as far to pay a professional reviewer to post a favorable review on Amazon.com, everyone else who has actually used the product  thinks PRE8 is deeply flawed and useless. If you are using a Sony camera get a copy of Sony Vegas, they work very well togeather in AVCHD, I have used Adobe Elements from the very start and wish I could continue, Adobe , India has finally suceeded in destroying a very good product line.

Adobe, please issue a patch, fix or recall for PRE8, simply hoping AVCHD will go away and paying for favorable reviews is terrible way to run a business.    

• 5. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If you still want to look into getting PrE 8 to run on your computer, you might want to initiate a post. This ARTICLE will help you, as to what useful info you will want to provide.

There are two good reasons for initiating a new post:

This one is specific to a particular cameara

Others will see your post and can help, plus users, in time, will be able to find that thread and learn from it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                    Kwing Flyer Level 1

Hunt,

I own three Sony AVCHD cameras two SR12's and a CX7, I shoot exclusively in AVCHD. I have no trouble editing in Premiere CS4, Premiere Elements 8 on the other hand does not function properly and will never work for AVCHD in it's present form.

When I have more time I will do as you suggested, there is a rising groundswell of angry PRE8 users, they need a place to vent their collective frustration.

Thanks,

Jack 

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 15:48:59 -0700

To: olsonspeed@msn.com

Subject: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12

Welcome to the forum.

If you still want to look into getting PrE 8 to run on your computer, you might want to initiate a post. This http://forums.adobe.com/thread/459220?tstart=0 will help you, as to what useful info you will want to provide.

There are two good reasons for initiating a new post:

This one is specific to a particular cameara

Others will see your post and can help, plus users, in time, will be able to find that thread and learn from it.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 7. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure there's much value in venting your frustration here, Kwing. Nor do I think that's what Hunt was suggesting.

All you've got on this forum is people like me, Hunt, Tony Romano and a couple of others -- none of whom work for Adobe and all of whom spend dozens of hours a week on this forum, helping people get up and running and answering technical questions.

And posting angry threads on this forum does little except spit in our faces. Again, we don't work for Adobe, and Adobe will not get your messages if you post here.

If you really want to vent and if you really want to make Adobe aware of your frustration, click on the Contact button at the top of this page and send an e-mail directly to them.

Otherwise, you're just wasting your breath and raising the stress level of the people on this forum who sincerely want to help others out.

• 8. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                        Kwing Flyer Level 1

Obviously you are satisfied with the performance of PRE8,... enjoy!

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:44:18 -0700

I'm not sure there's much value in venting your frustration here, Kwing. Nor do I think that's what Hunt was suggesting.

All you've got on this forum is people like me, Hunt, Tony Romano and a couple of others -- none of whom work for Adobe and all of whom spend dozens of hours a week on this forum, helping people get up and running and answering technical questions.

And posting angry threads on this forum does little except spit in our faces. Again, we don't work for Adobe, and Adobe will not get your messages if you post here.

If you really want to vent and if you really want to make Adobe aware of your frustration, click on the Contact button at the top of this page and send an e-mail directly to them.

Otherwise, you're just wasting your breath and raising the stress level of the people on this forum who sincerely want to help others out.

>

• 9. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, there are several folk around here, who have no real issues with PrE 8, and have reported on their success.

This is what makes troubleshooting so tough. A program will work for many, and then not for many others.

I do not have PrE 8, nor do I have Vista, or Win7, any flavor, so I cannot directly comment. Still, there has to be some difference, when a large portion has no issue, and a large protion does. What is the variable.

In general terms, on the various Adobe product fora, the problems sort out thusly:

1.) system (all programs)

2.) Projects (NLE editing programs)

3.) Assets (most programs)

4.) OE (all programs)

5.) Bugs (all programs)

This is why we so often ask about the system, the Project and the Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                            Kwing Flyer Level 1

Hunt,

I, like many others have a tremendous amount of time and effort invested in using Adobe Premiere Elements on video projects. Never before have I encountered so many problems with a single software program, especially one that is just an incremental upgrade. I find it very difficult to believe that there are users that haven't encountered  problems, perhaps they aren't using HD or AVCHD cameras.

Thanks to your thread I was able to finally restart PE8 without rebooting my computer. I followed the cryptic instructions and was successful, but this sort of thing is out of the capability of most users and should have been caught in beta testing. This is just one of the multitude of problems I have encountered so far. I have run CS4, PE7 & Sony Vegas on my computer with none of the problems that have arisen with PE8, it definitely has issues.

Thanks,

Jack

Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 20:06:03 -0700

Actually, there are several folk around here, who have no real issues with PrE 8, and have reported on their success.

This is what makes troubleshooting so tough. A program will work for many, and then not for many others.

I do not have PrE 8, nor do I have Vista, or Win7, any flavor, so I cannot directly comment. Still, there has to be some difference, when a large portion has no issue, and a large protion does. What is the variable.

In general terms, on the various Adobe product fora, the problems sort out thusly:

1.) system (all programs)

2.) Projects (NLE editing programs)

3.) Assets (most programs)

4.) OE (all programs)

5.) Bugs (all programs)

This is why we so often ask about the system, the Project and the Assets.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 11. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I find it very difficult to believe that there are users that haven't encountered  problems, perhaps they aren't using HD or AVCHD cameras.

Jack,

Were it not for those, who have reported complete success, I'd immediately say that PrE 8 was totally flawed. Still, I do know that two valued contributors here, have had nearly 100% success, and have tested with all sorts of footage, SD and most flavors of HD. One, ATR, has gone to the trouble of downloading samples of about everything, to test for others. Both of these two do not have "super computers," but well-maintained, regular computers set up for NLE work. The others with success seem to be across the board with regards to equipment. Those doing AVCHD editing DO have bigger, newer CPU's, but that is the nature of AVCHD. Even on the PrPro forum, where most users are making a living from editing video, the massive loads imposed on the CPU by AVCHD have presented problems. Many of these are dedicated workstations, but if the CPU is underpowered for AVCHD, they have extreme playability problems.

It does seem that PrE 8, and the materials that people are feeding it, requires much more computing power, and points up any weak spots, very quickly - probably more quickly, than previous versions. Add AVCHD, and folk need to make a major investment in state-of-the-art equipment. This is not a weakness of PrE 8, but of the material. For this, I blame the camera mfgrs., who released AVCHD with no concern for what it would take to edit it. Workstations, that zip thorugh most HD formats, choke on AVCHD. An unfortunate fact of life.

All I can offer to all with problems is, good luck, and do read all of the threads. There are some great tips on shaping up the old computer for HD, and even AVCHD.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                                Kwing Flyer Level 1

Hunt,

I am not new to computers or NLE, I have been involved with this from the very beginning. My current computer is a NLE dedicated, Intel i7, Asus P6T MB, 12 gig Ram, Nvidia 9800 GTX 512 video, Windows  7, dual 1 T hard drives. My system is about as mainstream as it gets, and as of this date is as much power as is possible in a desktop. Until PE8 struck I was doing great, my thought now is that PE8 does not play well with some aspect of Nvidia.

Anytime a new software program is released there will be unexpected problems, PR8 is not new, just a few small "improvements". The large number of uses experiencing problems is inexcusable. Adobe has a history of ignoring customer complaints, it is a sad situation when the users are forced to do the troubleshooting and develop workarounds for the software shortcomings.

Thanks,

Jack     

Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:18:05 -0700

I find it very difficult to believe that there are users that haven't encountered  problems, perhaps they aren't using HD or AVCHD cameras.

Jack,

Were it not for those, who have reported complete success, I'd immediately say that PrE 8 was totally flawed. Still, I do know that two valued contributors here, have had nearly 100% success, and have tested with all sorts of footage, SD and most flavors of HD. One, ATR, has gone to the trouble of downloading samples of about everything, to test for others. Both of these two do not have "super computers," but well-maintained, regular computers set up for NLE work. The others with success seem to be across the board with regards to equipment. Those doing AVCHD editing DO have bigger, newer CPU's, but that is the nature of AVCHD. Even on the PrPro forum, where most users are making a living from editing video, the massive loads imposed on the CPU by AVCHD have presented problems. Many of these are dedicated workstations, but if the CPU is underpowered for AVCHD, they have extreme playability problems.

It does seem that PrE 8, and the materials that people are feeding it, requires much more computing power, and points up any weak spots, very quickly - probably more quickly, than previous versions. Add AVCHD, and folk need to make a major investment in state-of-the-art equipment. This is not a weakness of PrE 8, but of the material. For this, I blame the camera mfgrs., who released AVCHD with no concern for what it would take to edit it. Workstations, that zip thorugh most HD formats, choke on AVCHD. An unfortunate fact of life.

All I can offer to all with problems is, good luck, and do read all of the threads. There are some great tips on shaping up the old computer for HD, and even AVCHD.

Hunt

>

• 13. Re: Compatibility of Sony HDR-SR12
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Without quoting everything (you might want to change your e-mail program, so that every line is not quoted, just those to which you are responding), like I said, many users have had zero issues.

In decades of troubleshooting issues, thing have broken down this way:

1.) System

2.) Assets

3.) Project

4.) OE

5.) Bugs

Now, because the majority of issues work out this way, does not mean that particular instances will have to follow that list. There have been real Bugs in programs, Adobe and others. Still, the majority of issues follow the above script.

Please remember that there is much more to a system, than just hardware specs.. They are but a start.

Good luck,

Hunt