6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 1:42 PM by GHolleman

DNG conversion in Bridge

GHolleman

Does the convert to DNG through bridge get updated when a new version of Camera Raw and DNG Converter are released.

• 1. Re: DNG conversion in Bridge
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The is no convert to DNG option in Bridge. You either open the raw image in Camera Raw then save it as  DNG or use the DNG Converter.

• 2. Re: DNG conversion in Bridge
            GHolleman Level 1

When you use the Photo Downloader in Bridge there in an option to convert to DNG as you import your photos.

Sorry, I should have been more clear on my question.

• 3. Re: DNG conversion in Bridge
              Bill_Janes Level 2

This statement requires clarification. When I upgraded my Windows system to 64 bit, I had to do a complete reinstall and have not installed the DNG converter and Adobe DNG Converter.exe is not on my system. Yet, I am able to convert to DNG while importing the raw files from the camera using Adobe Bridge. This implies to me that the converter functionality is built into Bridge and does not require installation of the standalone DNG converter.

Ian Lyons wrote:

The is no convert to DNG option in Bridge. You either open the raw image in Camera Raw then save it as  DNG or use the DNG Converter.

• 4. Re: DNG conversion in Bridge
                Yammer Level 4

I thought the previous poster said that DNG Converter wasn't the "active ingredient" here?

I think the previous poster said that the ability to create DNG files is built in to Bridge, and the ability to open the raw files is taken from the installed version of Camera Raw (much like the ability to display thumbnails/previews).

Isn't DNG basically an XML wrapper for the sensor data? As long as Bridge can read the raw files, it can convert them to DNG.

• 5. Re: DNG conversion in Bridge
                  Bill_Janes Level 2

Yammer P wrote:

I thought the previous poster said that DNG Converter wasn't the "active ingredient" here?

I think the previous poster said that the ability to create DNG files is built in to Bridge, and the ability to open the raw files is taken from the installed version of Camera Raw (much like the ability to display thumbnails/previews).

Isn't DNG basically an XML wrapper for the sensor data? As long as Bridge can read the raw files, it can convert them to DNG.

Yes, that is what the previous poster stated and what I think is the case. However, Ian Lyons' post seems to indcate otherwise and needs clarification. It would appear that just as ACR is used to build the thumbnails used by Bridge, it can also be used behind the scene to produce the DNG even though the raw files are not overtly opened in ACR. The practical significance of all this is that the OP does not need to install the updated DNG converter if he is converting to DNG when importing the files. Perhaps this is what Ian was stating, and I did not understand.

• 6. Re: DNG conversion in Bridge
                    GHolleman Level 1

The reason for my question was if Lightroom, Camera Raw and the DNG converter are updated for new camera models, why is there no need for the photo uploader to be updated for new camera models if it can convert to DNG.