4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 9:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Need help? My laptop overheats and shuts down when up loading

gvarnit1 Level 1

I installed Premier Elements 8 on Vista and finished my first video and when I try to upload through the share option to youtube Before 1/2 way my laptop overheats and shuts down. I have tried several times. I tried pluging laptop directly in to network so I was not uploading wireless. No luck. I also tried turning my screen down so it would make less heat. I dont know what else to try.

• 1. Re: Need help? My laptop overheats and shuts down when up loading
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Overheating on a laptop can be a real issue. Here are some tips:

1.) vacuum the portals where your fans are located

2.) check that all fans work

3.) download and install the free utility Speedfan, which will help you get the most from all fans on the laptop, but help you monitor the thermal activity.

4.) get a laptop cooling pad. I have a Zalman USB unit that is good. Get the best you can find.

5.) get some of those freezer packs - the ones you can reuse. Some have names like BlueIce, etc. Place these below the cooler pad. Be careful, as they are usually not perfectly flat when frozen, so the laptop will not be very stable. I've used some of these that are flexible to lay across external HDD's with overheating problems.

Good luck, and hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Need help? My laptop overheats and shuts down when up loading
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Good suggestions, Hunt. Particularly the laptop cooling fan.

After all, the reason they started calling them notebooks rather than laptops is because they keep running hotter and hotter -- and holding them on your lap is generally not a good idea. Particularly if you're running an AMD processor!

• 3. Re: Need help? My laptop overheats and shuts down when up loading
              gvarnit1 Level 1

Those are great Ideas but it only happens when I am trying to up load my video. I dose not happen any time else. As soon as the upload starts I here the fan kick up speed. It has to be some weird software issue. It is something to do with elements

• 4. Re: Need help? My laptop overheats and shuts down when up loading
                the_wine_snob Level 9

What is happening is that the CPU and the HDD's are being stressed more than with most other operations. This is common and can be observed in places like Speedfan and Task Manager. There are a lot of files being written to, and read from. This is especially hard, if one only has a single internal HDD, as it must do so very much, and is being asked to do it all at the same time.

In general, editing Video is about the toughest task that one can ask of a computer. The Export phase is about as tough as editing gets. If one is editing AVCHD footage, the CPU usage goes up even higher and almost exponentially!

What you observe is not a fault of the software, but just how all NLE software must work.

Unfortunately, most laptops are not properly equiped with adequate cooling to begin with. They also usually have a single HDD. That was why I went with an extreme "gaming" laptop to start, and then modified it for NLE work. It works fine, but I had to add the cooling pad, and Speedfan.

Good luck,

Hunt