13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 7:28 AM by the_wine_snob

Duplicating an actor in a video??

nerryblackberry

Hello, I've been trying to figure out the precise settings for being able to duplicate an actor in a video interacting with himself.  I've tried asking around and have been able to narrow it down to this process:

1. import videos from the exact same camera positions.

2. make an additional track, put a title in there

3. Now make a black and white field, this will select what is visible from each video. the best choice is a radient
      4. then use the keying effect Track matte, on the upper video, you have to test where white and black in the title must be set it on lumiance and select the 3 video.
      5. done

These were the instructions provided to me, but I don't quite follow them.  I have my videos imported into premiere, I've made the title track, and this is where I get lost.  I"m not sure what is meant by a "black and white field", and i've not quite grasped the concepts of the track matte yet either, but i'm still playing around with it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
          shooternz Level 6

The key to this is more in how you shoot it..not how in you edit it.

Show us the screen grabs of what you shot and someone will maybe  provide an answer

• 2. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

It sounds like from the instructions someone gave you that they are explaining how to do a split screen effect. (as oppsed to a more complex keying technique)

If Im guessing right; the scene should be filmed so the actor is in the right half of the frame on one take and the left half for the other take.

Just lay take one in track one

Lay take 2 in track 2 and apply a garbage matte to matte out the right half of its frame letting track one show through.   You may need ot use motion effect to move the clips a bit left or right.

As mentioned; the "trick" is that the cam and lighting was locked down so the scenery lines up.

• 3. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
              nerryblackberry Level 1

Thanks for the tips all. I gave up last night (before having read the posts) and used a linear wipe effect to split the video in half. I'll try the suggestions you guys left for me next time.  Here's the result by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_thvm3mRtKA

• 4. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Not especially well lit, but the effect looks good.  (Nice playing, too.)

• 5. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the effect looks good.

A bit of Cropping to get the edge of the light source on the right, and what looks like maybe a mic on the left could be cleaned up.

For the lighting, just having a bit of fill might help. I often use a 4' x 8' sheet of white Foamcore, angled up at the subject (maybe even leaning against the tripod if it's sturdy), or a white sheet attached to a frame. This will get some of the ambient and stage lighting up to the front of your player, and it will be a soft source, so your backlighting will still pop.

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I got the impression the "backlighting" was more incidental than intentional.

• 7. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                      nerryblackberry Level 1

I basically took almost every light in my apartment and brought it in the room haha. I really lack in skill & materials when it comes to lighting.  Anyone ever build any do-it-yourself lights for film production?  It would be nice to have something bright with barndoors

• 8. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I admit, I've always used pro lighting myself.  But the Indy Mogul web site may have information about using normal lighting for shoots.

• 9. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, light and also space can be issues.

While I have a really full lighting kit, I have pressed quartz utility lights into service. These are available from most hardware stores, are light, relatively inexpensive and highly portable. Now, I'd look for ones with lower-wattage bulbs, as you'll likely have to plug in a couple to the same circuits. Having some good extension cords to "split" your lights to other circuits can be very helpful.

Now, those utility lights have a similar, fairly "hard" reflector, often parabolic and silver. I'd look into a bit of diffusion on those. Unlike, say a Lowel Omni, where you can swap out the reflector, and also move the bulb closer to/farther away from it, those lights are fixed. I like a drafting medium, Herculean, available in rolls from drafting/engineering supply (and some art and office) stores. It's very color neutral, and can be mounted to say 1x1 wooden frames. Now, you'll likely want some sort of stand for these, but often you can use a large spring clamp (hardware store again) to affix these to say a chair.

Roscoe produces many heat-resistant forms of diffusion. My Lowel kit has special mounting brackets for sheets of Rosco Diffusion material.

Remember too, that the farther the diffusion material is from the light source, the softer the light will be - BUT the farther away, the larger the diffusion sheet will need to be, so that hard light does not spill around it - barndoors help here, but I have never seen any utility lights with barndoor.

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added more detail on diffusion

• 10. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a LINK to the general type of utility lights that I am talking about. These are more for commercial and heavy-duty use, and the ones from the hardware store will be both lighter and also less expensive. Seems that Lowe's (US hardware chain) had about a dozen different configurations. Some have stands, and some are meant to be placed on the floor, or a flat surface, like a table.

Caution, quartz lights are not referred to as "hot lights," for no reason. They DO get hot. Be careful there, and also the total wattage of all lights.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                              nerryblackberry Level 1

Thanks for that information about the lighting. I am thinking about going to Lowes and check out what kind of porable utility lights they have.  Probably will not be able to modify it too much since i'm a complete beginner in the realm of filmmaking

• 12. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                i'm a complete beginner in the realm of filmmaking

Well, it looks like you're off to a good start. Having a creative eye is something that is hard to teach. The techniques and equipment can easily be acquired down the line.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Duplicating an actor in a video??
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, if you have not visited HERE, there are tons of great articles and also tutorials on how things are done in PrPro.

I also recommend spending time with the tutorials on THIS SITE. Do not shy away from tutorials for earlier versions of PrPro. With but a few exceptions, everything will translate to CS4 pretty well. You may have to "read between the lines" a bit, but they to translate well.

Good luck,

Hunt