8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2009 7:04 AM by markk656

Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?

markk656

This is one of the original AVCHD camcorders.  I have the trial installed of Premiere Elements8.  When I load in the organizer, it opens up.  I click file>get videos from files/folders.  The importing seems to take "forever" - 15 short clips (<1-2 mins each). Then, the organizer becomes unresponsive after loading just 15 or so clips. The clips are AVCHD, 1440x1080.  The organizer doesn't even seem to realize that they are anamorphic HD and the thumbnals are displayed in a 4:3 aspect ratio and hence the thumbnails are squished horizontally. Computer is C2D, 2.66GHz, 4 GB RAM, so that shouldn't be the bottleneck for the organizer.

Any thoughts or is this standard behavior?

• 1. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Now, are you doing Get Media directly from the camera, or are you first copying the files over to your computer's HDD? I could see many possible issues with the former, especially as you are probably attached via USB. If you are doing the latter, then I do not know what the issue would be, especially with regards to the Aspect Ratio and PAR. These properties should be in the metadata embedded in the files. I do not think that your camera's AVCHD is like some of the P2 media cameras, where the full folder structure, intact, along with all accompanying files, must be kept together.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, you might want to download and install the freeware utility, G-Spot, and run one of the files through it. You should get all of the info in that file, and look to see what it says for the Aspect Ratio, and the PAR.

Good luck, and let us know what G-Spot says about those files.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
              markk656 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

The first few times I tried, I just used the the Get files from folder (file menu).  The files were already on the HDD (via card reader).

I actually already had gspot installed.  All it tells me is that they are mpeg2 transport streams, not surprisingly since they are m2ts files. It doesn't give me any other info. Other software packages (eg. NLE's do import them and generate proper thumbnails). However, I can tell you that the are 1440x1080 m2ts (AVCHD files (of the Panasonic variety- which differ a bit from Sony or Canon). They have audio encoded as AC3.

Is it just a function of the fact that the options for thumbnails in the Organizer are not widescreen format (16:9)?

• 4. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

First, check your version of G-Spot, as earlier versions did less well with both MPEG and WMV files. The newest version has improved reporting with both formats.

Second, I do not know much about Organizer - its strengths, or weaknesses.

Now, IIRC, there is a recent thread on Thumbnails in Organizer, and Digitalreply (or another contributor) offered a way to at least change them. You might want to look at recent posts on a"thumbnails" and "organizer," in case something posted there helps "force" the program to display thumbs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
                  markk656 Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for your reply.

GSpot was the most up to date version.

I did a good search of the forum and found solutions (or not depending the posters view) for black thumbnails or filmstrips. Some of the solutions ranged from check if the codec is activated or try to regenerate the thumbnails. Another suggestion was to update Quicktime.  While I don't think that QT is the issue (QT doesn't read AVCHD files as far as I know). I don't want to update as my current NLE has an issue with some files with the latest version of QT and I would rather not play around with something that is working.

I guess my questions is, for those of you that have 1920x1080 files, do they show up properly (widescreen) in the organizer? What about 1440x1080?

• 6. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Another suggestion was to update Quicktime.  While I don't think that QT is the issue (QT doesn't read AVCHD files as far as I know). I don't want to update as my current NLE has an issue with some files with the latest version of QT and I would rather not play around with something that is working.

This is probably a total aside, but might furnish a bit of background. PrE seems to rely more heavily on QT Player, than other NLE programs, even its "big-brother," PrPro, which does not rely on it at all. I do not know what processes in PrE are QT-reliant.

Now, as to "latest versions," there are two warnings. It seems that some recent versions of QT Player (7.6.2 & 7.6.3) have been causing issues with many Adobe programs. The same thing happened with the 7.4.x versions (maybe not all, but at least two), about a year ago. From my readings, the 7.3.5 was previously the "last known good," until the 7.5.5 version was released. Those two seem to work almost perfectly with Adobe apps. The others seem to be hit-or-miss. Until 7.5.5, the 7.3.5 was the only version that would work for me, and I have tons of Adobe programs. Now, 7.5.5 is the version on all of my computers, and I will not upgrade, until I read reports of another good version on the various Adobe fora. Right now, PrE 4 works fine with QT 7.5.5 on my laptop.

Just some observations on QT Player, Adobe programs in general, and PrE specifically.

Good luck, and please update the thread with your success.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
                      markk656 Level 1

Thanks for the Quicktime advice. I have a feeling that the gurus at Adobe might have missed something here.  I uninstalled Premiere E 8 and installed Photoshop Elements 8 trial. Same issue. All of the photos show up OK, as do non- 1440x1080 videos. It isn't just the thumbnails, when I play it in the organizer, the files don't play in 16:9 format. My gut feeling is that the files are being interpreted as having square pixels. You would think Adobe would have figured that out.  Although almost every AVCHD HD camcorder gives 1920x1080 now, so maybe they just forgot that the early AVCHD camcorders used anamorphic HD.

Would be nice if they fixed it. I really like to use the organizer in tandem with another NLE for pictures. It would have been great if they got the video portion right too!

• 8. Re: Is Premiere Elements 8 organizer compatible with HDC-SD1 files?
                        markk656 Level 1

Some additional fodder for discussion in the attachment.  Two files rendered out in AVCHD format.  One in 1920x1080 and the other in 1440x1080. It shows the 1920x1080 thumbnail prperly, but the 1440x1080 is shown in 4:3 aspect ratio. An HDV could be played, but no thumbnail generated by Photoshop Elements organizer.