5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 9:07 AM by Harm Millaard

is this ok for Premiere Elements?

Xpoes

Hello,

Because of a new video camera, I need to upgrade to the latest Premiere Elements version, and that means a new PC as well.

I'm looking at something with these specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L mobo, 600W power supply, Team Xtreem Dark 4GB (2x2) Mem, Gigabyte GeForce 9500GT,

Barracuda 7200 1TB, Barracuda 7200 1.5TB, and WinXP

I must have WinXP, because the software with which I earn a living is not ready for Win7 (yet?), and I think (is that correct?) that more than 4GB memory is useless with XP.

Would this be sufficient?

Thanks,

Marcel

• 1. Re: is this ok for Premiere Elements?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Marcel,

In the overview I miss a smallish dedicated disk for OS & programs, anything 120+ GB will do.

Why go for a Q9550, which is outdated technology and hardly less expensive than an i7-860 when you are on a budget? It is definitely much less powerful than the i7-860. If your budget allows it, I suggest the 17-920, but the motherboards (X58) are more expensive than the P55 boards. OTOH X58 has much more expansion capabilities and is ready to accept the hex-core Gulftown for the future.

Have a good look at the virtual XP mode under Win7. It may be possible that your software, that requires XP, will run in the virtual XP mode on Win7. In that case I would choose Win7-64 Pro and increase memory to 8 GB (P55) or 12 GB (X58).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: is this ok for Premiere Elements?
            Xpoes Level 1

Thank you Harm,

I'll definitively take your processor suggestions on board.

Does it make such a big difference, that extra little disk for programs and OS? I was actually thinking of making an extra partition on one of the disks for that purpose.

I've read about the attempts of 1 or 2 people trying the XP-mode under Win7 for my professional software, and none of them were very succesfull. Apart from that, the fact that I have to work in a proven validated environment, makes it hard for me to pursue that option.

Marcel

• 3. Re: is this ok for Premiere Elements?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look at the link about storage: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides... You are better off with a third physical disk for OS & programs. Partitioning is not a good idea.

If the virtual XP mode is no option, I would seriously look at the i7-860 and a P55 mobo.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: is this ok for Premiere Elements?
                Xpoes Level 1

Thanks Harm, you've been a great help!

• 5. Re: is this ok for Premiere Elements?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

One thing I forgot to mention explicitly. When you choose for a P55 motherboard, get 2 x 2 GB DDR3 sticks, so that when you upgrade to Win7 you have the possibility to add 2 more sticks to bring your memory to 8 GB. DDR3-1333 is fast enough, no need to use DDR3-1600, unles you are into overclocking or the price difference is very small at the same CAS latencies.