7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 4:00 PM by durendal1

Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1

durendal1

Hi there.

The fact that i'm using an old version of Premiere isn't relevent, please do not ask me to upgrade.

I've had the same problem with the same version on my old cumputer by the end, but it works perfectly for the first couple of months. However, Pro 2 always reachs a point in his life where, like now, he becomes as stuborn as an old man, and suddenly stars to refuse any -I really mean ANY- format, with the unfortunate exception of MPEG1. Divx, MPEG2, Uncompressed AVI, DV, HDV, nothing works except this crappy MPEG1.

When I try to import DivX, it crashes. With HDV or any MPEG2, it keeps "Indexing" the file, over and over and over again. Since I work with HD Video, and have an HDV cam, you can see it's really a problem...

I tried to uninstall/re-install, repair, nothing worked.

Every other function works, including the Export, in any usual format (Avi, Adobe HD, MPEG2.....)....

I didn't find any other topic relating to my problem. I remember seeing one where the guy thought it was because the Folder was set on "Read only", but it's been the case since the very begining (the joys of Vista), and has nothing to do with the problem.

Thanks for your help !

• 1. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
          dradeke Adobe Employee

For me, going back to version 2 is a ways back but trashing the prefs I believe is still the same process. user folder>documents>adobe>2.0.  Take the 2.0 folder to the trash and restart Adobe.  I don't think this will work, but you can try.

If it's not something like that, then it would sound like something you installed or did might have created this problem.  I say this because of your uninstall/reinstall didn't fix your problem.  When the problem first manifested itself, was there anything you had installed?

You might go thru your program list and deinstall anything that you don't really care about.  While you're at it, you can update your graphic card drivers.

That's all I can suggest based on the information you've provided.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
            Jim_Simon Level 8

When I try to import DivX

Don't do that.  The fact that Divx is even installed leads me to believe you are not operating in a professional environment.  That could very well lead to stability issues and random errors.

Ideally you want a dedicated editing rig with nothing installed but editing software.  And only use pro format media you shot yourself from real video cameras.  Most often, Divx is used as a source only by the hobbyist, who does not follow the above rules.  Breaking those rules has lead to more than one issue.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
              durendal1 Level 1

You thought correctly, trashing 2.0 didn't change anything ^^

I havent installed anything since my last Video project, and certainly not something related to video. The intriging fact is that the exacte same bug happened with my last PC, and even then, it happened very suddenly. One day it worked, the other day, it didn't, without any changes.

I really rarely use DivX, I only use MPEG2, or MOV files. I used DivX only for some special effect some time ago. and did a project after that that went really well (with HDV).

It's starting to be troublesome ^^ I work with this program...

When the money comes, I'll consider having some Shuttle PC thing dedicated to Video. I'll have to buy one anyway to import from HDMI.

Any other guess ?

• 4. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I really rarely use DivX, I only use MPEG2, or MOV files. I used DivX only for some special effect some time ago. and did a project after that that went really well (with HDV).

This is interesting, as PrPro has never handled DivX (or Xvid) well, if at all. At best, one usually got either the Video, or the Audio (the former was usually the case).

I wonder - have you installed any CODEC packs? Have you installed FFDShow? These often break PrPro's ability to handle formats/CODEC, that once worked. I strongly recommend on their complete removal.

Now, back to DivX/Xvid: I have both on my machines, and neither has ever given me a problem. I do not try to edit those CODEC's, as they are highly-compressed and are designed for delivery-only.

I'd look at things like the CODEC packs, mentioned above. Your issue is likely there, or very similar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another thougt. There are two types of CODEC's, that PrPro uses correctly: those installed by the OS and those installed by PrPro (I think all are MainConcept).

Let's say that something has "broken" your CODEC's. I'd do a Repair Install for PrPro and see if that fixes those CODEC's.

Last, are you 100% certain that there are no CODEC packs, that have been added? Something like K-Lite? Also, check to see if you have FFDShow (can come from a lot of places) on your system. If so, it's been known to break many things in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - I'm still using PrPro 2.0 and love it.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

Let's say that something has "broken" your CODEC's. I'd do a Repair Install for PrPro and see if that fixes those CODEC's.

Good idea.

• 7. Re: Premiere CS2 won't accept any format other than MPEG-1
                      durendal1 Level 1

Hey, now that I think about it, maybe FFDshow came with the SUPER program... I'll look into that and tell you if it worked. I won't bother repairing PrPro, I already did it. Maybe after uninstalling FFDshow.

It's odd what you said about DivX, it worked perfectly well when I used it, Video and Audio (AC3 or WAV mainly). On the other hand, Xvid never worked. at all...

Thanks for the hint, and all your kind help.

EDIT: Uninstalled every video converting programs I had installed, rebooted PC, repaired, uninstalled/reinstalled PrPro... No change at all....

I made a full research for anything named FFDShow on my computer, found nothing.