8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 1:35 PM by the_wine_snob

[CS4] .CR2 File format not supported

oyvinto

I am uanble to import CR2 raw files into Premiere CS4 v4.2. I have no problems viewing them in Brigde or Camera Raw. It also looks like Abode Media Encoder 4.2 won't install (it shows up every time i check for updates), but i'm not sure if this has anything to do with the first problem with importinf CR2.

I'd be thankful for any help.

• 1. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
          Phil Griffith Level 2

I'm not sure why you would want to. Raw files are basically a digital negative of a photo. Generally, you would want to edit that photo in Photoshop and save it as a regular photo. Then import into premiere or whatever else you wish to do with a photo. The difference in a regular photo taken in a digital camera is that with a jpeg, the image is processed in the camera itself (white balance, color, contrast, etc) but with a raw file, the camera does not do any of the image settings, leaving that for you to do in a raw editor. That gives you more creative control of your image. So, in essence, do your processing in something like Photoshop, then save it as a regular image file (i.e. bmp, jpeg, etc) then display it in premiere or whatever.

• 2. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
            oyvinto Level 1

Why I would is not for you to worry about, but I want to do it. I do it all the time with AE, importing amounts of CR2's directly, so I can't see why I shouldn't be able to do that with Premiere, without having to convert to jpeg or similar..

• 4. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
              oyvinto Level 1

I was so sure premiere could handle raw's that i didn't even bother to check the supported files list. I thought it was a matter of updating for some new version to recognize the files.. Anyway, thanks for the guidance. And I'll put in a request.

• 5. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You're welcome. 

-Jeff

• 6. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

It's the same thing with my Nikon NEF RAW files. I just run them through ACR (Adobe Raw Converter), and Save_As .PSD's. These Import perfectly, though I also resize for use in Video.

I've not tried Importing the RAW files into AE, but will explore that. My guess is that AE either has an ACR module, or can work from the one installed in PS. AE has a lot more latitude in some areas, than PrPro does. If AE does work with your .CR2's, a workaround to direct PrPro Import, would be to use Adobe Dynamic Link to get your AE Comp over to PrPro.

Personally, I always want to work on my RAW files, in ACR/Photoshop, first. Few escape my manipulation, but that's just me.

Well, off to AE to Import an NEF to see what happens. Ya' got me to thinking.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Total shot in the dark here, but the RED camera shoots RAW files.  I wonder if the plug-in which makes Premiere able to read them would also make Premiere able to read RAW stills.

• 8. Re: [CS4] .CR2 File format not supported
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Might be worth a shot. However, as still camera mfgrs. release a new RAW scheme with almost every new model, I'd guess that the RED plug-in would not work - yet who know?

As an example, each of my Nikons has used a slightly different version of their NEF. I had to wait for Adobe to update the ARC plug-in, or use Nikon Capture. It's the same with my wife's Canons. Each has had a different version of the CRW files (don't recall any with CR2). Her latest will not work in my PS, because I need the CS4-only ARC plug-in. Right now, I have her shooting in highquality JPEG (yes, that is somewhat oxymoronic), until I upgrade to CS4.2 MC, or CS5 MC.

With every new model and new RAW format, users go crazy on the PS forum - "when will Adobe finally get ACR updated to accept my Canon 9D MK IV, that I just got today?" The answer is, "soon, my child. Just be patient."

Good luck to the OP, and maybe install the RED plug-in, just in case my guess is wrong.

Hunt