3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 7:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting a movie for YouTube upload

Itay B.

I'm having trouble exporting movies for YouTube.

If i export to the flv format, the image quality is lousy.

If i export to the avi format, the file size is huge.

If i export to the mpeg format, the audio tracks get muddled somehow, for instance it would get muted spontaneously in mid clip.

Is there no way to export a movie such that the quality remains more or less the same and the file size is reasonable?

• 1. Re: Exporting a movie for YouTube upload
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, YouTube presents two main problems:

1.) they recode everything, so what you upload will likely not look the same, once it gets posted

2.) they change the requirements on a regular basis. I realize that they are trying to balance the quality of the videos vs their servers' capacity and limitations, but it makes it tough for anyone to know exactly what they should be Exporting/Sharing and then uploading as. About the time that a user gets it figured out, the game is changed.

Now, the three common formats/CODEC's for streaming Web-based media are FLV (there are several settings, depicted as connection speeds), WMV (mostly adjustable w/ Audiences, i.e. connection speeds) and now H.264, which is found under iPod, IIRC. The latter is gaining a lot of favor, as it heavily compressed the material (smaller file sizes), yet maintains high quality, and is very adjustable, so one can balance that quality vs size. H.264 (MP4) is very good for HD material.

Still, regardless of what you upload, it will be recoded by YouTube to their setting du jour.

Steve Grisetti has done a FAQ on YouTube, though remember, if something is posted, it is likely not current at that moment.

There are also several articles on YouTube settings here. I'd concern myself with the most recent ones, due to that changing playing field by YouTube.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have posted several links to excellent articles by trusted contributors, on the best settings for YouTube. Most of those settings are moot, as they are several months old. You might get a rough idea from some, but they will NOT be current.

• 2. Re: Exporting a movie for YouTube upload
            Itay B. Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I didn't even think to try out the "Mobile iPhones and Players" Share category.

• 3. Re: Exporting a movie for YouTube upload
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I didn't even think to try out the "Mobile iPhones and Players" Share category.

That was one that Steve taught me. In PrE 8 there were several changes in location, and also in nomenclature. He caught me telling a user to go to "location A," and that no longer applied.

Explore the H.264, especially if you have HD material. You may have to "read-between-the-lines" with some of the settings listed on the Web, to find out what works this week.

This TUTORIAL from Howcast on YouTube makes some good points, though does not go into great detail on either formats, or settings. Still, it might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful