4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 9:22 AM by Colin Brougham

PPRO CS4 not "seeing" XDCAM files - MP4s or XMF

jimvt Level 1

Dear XDCAM experts,

I am under deadline to get editing on a bunch of XDCAM (XDCAM and XDCAM EX) files that have been given to me on a hard drive. I have two flavors -

1)  .mov files (MP4) that have already been imported via Sony clip browser (ie, no XML files, folder structure, etc). MediaInfo IDs them as XDCAM 1920x1080 files at 23.976fps  35Mbps.  On these the error message on attempted import into PPRO (PPRO 4.2 on Windows XP Pro)  is   "Error message: CoDec missing or unavailable"

2)  MXF files from an Avid workstation (not positive how they've been handled) here's one filename for example:  C0002S01.V14B01ADBC.mxf

The error message I get on this one is :  "Error message: File video dimensions (width/height) too large"

* on the MXF, when I run MediaInfo on a file it says that it is an MPEG (version 2) video at 1920 x 1088. The CS4 literature says that it can import MXF files.

In both cases clip browser cannot open them either.  PPRO CS4 media browser cannot play them.

Any insight on this would be VERY appreciated!

Jim

• 1. Re: PPRO CS4 not "seeing" XDCAM files - MP4s or XMF
          Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm assuming you're running a purchased, registered and activated version of Premiere, correct? If you're not, and are instead using a trial version, there is no MPEG-variant editing capability, due to licensing issues. Unfortunately, XDCAM falls under this category, and is uneditable with the trial version.

However, if you're running a full version, check to see if you have XDCAM sequence presets available. If not, that means that either the 4.1 or 4.2 update broke your installation of Premiere, and you'll have to uninstall everything, run the CS4 Clean Script, and reinstall. This is the second update in a row that does this, and Adobe seems reluctant to fix the problem. For some reason, when installing the updates on certain systems, the program reverts to a pseudo-trial mode--it's just happened to me AGAIN (I just checked, and I have no presets either, and no MPEG import capability), and I've never had the trial installed.

Bad news, but the only way to fix it is to uninstall, clean, and reinstall.

• 2. Re: PPRO CS4 not "seeing" XDCAM files - MP4s or XMF
            Harm Millaard Level 7

After having followed Colin's advise, you may need to import the BPAV directory and all subdirectories. If you don't have the BPAV directory, ask for the complete Clip Browser results.

• 3. Re: PPRO CS4 not "seeing" XDCAM files - MP4s or XMF
              jimvt Level 1

Colin,

Yes, I'm using a fully licensed version that is fully updated. And yes, I see all of the XDCAM and XDCAM EX sequence presets. I have done an EX project with no problems and can still open, see, import and use these XDCAM EX3 files. The difference seems to be that those files were exact copies of what came off the Sony EX3 camera with all the BPAV folders, etc.  Isn't some workflow for when we get just the imported video clips as .movs or XMF files on an external hard drive?

PS- I assume that it is normal that the ONLY CODEC choices I see upon setting a project is DV and HDV. Should I also see XDCAM, etc at this point, too or just when setting up a sequence?

• 4. Re: PPRO CS4 not "seeing" XDCAM files - MP4s or XMF
                Colin Brougham Level 6

jimvt wrote:

Colin,

Yes, I'm using a fully licensed version that is fully updated. And yes, I see all of the XDCAM and XDCAM EX sequence presets. I have done an EX project with no problems and can still open, see, import and use these XDCAM EX3 files. The difference seems to be that those files were exact copies of what came off the Sony EX3 camera with all the BPAV folders, etc.  Isn't some workflow for when we get just the imported video clips as .movs or XMF files on an external hard drive?

PS- I assume that it is normal that the ONLY CODEC choices I see upon setting a project is DV and HDV. Should I also see XDCAM, etc at this point, too or just when setting up a sequence?

Good, if you see the presets, your updating went fine. I would guess that Harm's assumption is correct--and you noted the same--that you'll need the entire XDCAM EX folder structure to successfully import the files, with the BPAV folder on down. Since both of my systems are currently borked thanks to the 4.2 update, I can't test if there is a way to directly import the MP4 files; the ClipBrowser software might let you rewrap them, but I'm not sure.

Check out the MP4toMPG program on this site (translated via Google). It might let you rewrap those files so you can actually import them.