12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 9:26 AM by John T Smith

Exporting from avi to wmv

bvsanchz77 Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a powerpoint presentation that has movie clips in .avi format that need to be converted to .mpg or .wmv. Using Premier Pro CS4, exporting the files, using the settings that I need, it creates the .wmv/.mpg file, and it will play by itself using Windows Media. But when I go to the power point and insert the movie clip in this new format, it does not work. Is there another method or am I doing it wrong, either in ppt or Premeir Pro?

Thanks Bunches

• 1. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
          Harm Millaard Level 7

PowerPoint does not support that. Why not use WMP or another player for that matter, if they work?

• 2. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm a bit confused. You write:

I have a powerpoint presentation that has movie clips in .avi format that need to be converted to .mpg or .wmv.

It appears that you are Importing those .AVI's, that work in PowerPoint, converting them to either .WMV, or MPEG, and then re-inserting them into PowerPoint, where they do not work. What is the reason that you are converting the format/CODEC? If you need to go back to PowerPoint, why not stay with .AVI for the edited footage? I have to be missing something important here, or misunderstanding where these converted files will be used.

But when I go to the power point and insert the movie clip in this new format, it does not work. Is there another method or am I doing it wrong, either in ppt or Premeir Pro?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
              bvsanchz77 Level 1

Thanks for your reply to my post.

The powerpoint is for work and it needs to show the clips. But the .avi file was created using Windows 95, and now we have Vista, so the clips will not work. Are you saying that the .avi files need to be converted to another format?

• 4. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I have to say that I do not know the full particulars of what PowerPoint will, or will not handle, nor do I know how one version might, or might not work vs another.

Where I am going is that if PowerPoint can work with an .AVI file (even though versions might have changed), I would think that it could work with that same .AVI file again. Maybe I am totally wrong on this, as MS might well have eliminated the support for one file format, with a newer version. They have been known to do things like that.

Obviously, you are having an issue with these .AVI's (that worked in an earlier version of PowerPoint), with the newer version. What is happening? Is the newer PowerPoint giving you an error message, or is it just not playing the older .AVI's?

As .AVI can actually contain a lot of different "stuff," I'd suggest running one of these older .AVI's through a freeware utility, G-Spot. It will tell you what is inside the .AVI "wrapper." There might be an answer in the info that G-Spot provides.

I'll also look at my PowerPoint (does not get used much), and see if I can find the allowable file formats, and any other details to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

From the PowerPoint 2007 Help file:

Audio Video Interleave   This is a multimedia file format for storing sound and moving pictures in Microsoft Resource Interchange File Format (RIFF) format. It is one of the most common formats because audio or video content that is compressed with a wide variety of codecs (codec: An abbreviation for compressor/decompressor. Software or hardware used to compress and decompress digital media.) can be stored in an .avi file.

This gives some specs. for .AVI files. It could well be a CODEC issue with the AV data inside your current .AVI "wrapper." This ARTICLE will give you some background on "wrappers."

Maybe G-Spot will shed some light on what you have currently.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

now we have Vista, so the clips will not work.

That doesn't seem right.  I'd investigate.

• 7. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Your comment gave me a possible issue. Maybe you, or another user, can comment.

Didn't MS drop most CODEC's from some flavors of Vista? There were ones that were typically installed with the OS. It seems that MS did issue a Vista CODEC pack to install those missing CODEC's. I'd guess that that Vista pack is still up on the MS site. Many Vista users were getting that "CODEC not found" error message, and the CODEC pack (note: I'm talking about the MS Vista CODEC pack and not any other CODEC pack.) installation brought back the ability to use AV files from, say XP.

Any comments?

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I had no problems playing any of my own personal video files, whose codec usage varies wildly, using either Vista or Win 7.  That's why I suspect it's not Vista alone that's causing this playback issue.

There is a Vista Codec Pack, but I belive this was part of the SP1 update.  Vista is up to SP2 now, so this should not be an issue.

• 9. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are probably correct. I just went to the MS site, and looked for that Vista CODEC pack. I know that I have linked to it in the past. Now, everything, and even the searches are geared to Win7, with sales pitches for it everywhere. Navigation seems to now point only to Win7 stuff.

As I never had Vista, I am not up on what the two SP's included.

Thanks for the confirmation that your Vista installation did not have any issues with AV files.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I encourage you to follow Hunt's advice and use Gspot to look at your avi.  If it was windows 95, you may have been using an editor/hardware op tion that created mjpeg avis.  Gspot helps to avoid guessing.

I do not know why you wmv's did not work in powerpoint.  A test worked fine for me.  but I'm still Win XP.  You should look at your export settings for the wmv file.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                              bvsanchz77 Level 1

Thanks everyone for replying to my post.

I eventually had to download MS Expression and conver the files that way. I was then able to place them into a powerpoint presentation that could be used by all of our users. The problem was that not all of our computers have the same OS and I needed a format that all of them could use. This just happened to be Windows Media Player, so I had to convert. When I used  Premier Pro, it would convert the files, but not able to play while in a presentation.

Again Thanks so much for everyones help.

Bev

• 12. Re: Exporting from avi to wmv
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since WMV is a Microsoft format, use their encoder

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

Oops... nevermind... I see that you did