14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2009 1:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Choppy playback CS2

Lakeshore23

Howdy, looking for some help with a Premiere CS2 problem that I have not experienced before.

Opened up a project last night and both the preview and timeline view windows are not playing smoothly.  It is a consistent lag that appears to play 1second-skip 1 second-play 1 second-skip one section....

This occurs with any project I open.  All projects were working just fine previously and I've had zero issues like this with CS2.

I've check disc space, plenty of it, dumped preview files, cleaned cache files, and no luck.

Tried using Draft Quality for the preview and still the same results.  All Footage is rendered and it is basic SD AVI captured.

I also ran SpyBot and Malwarebytes which did remove some trojans and malware junk and other computer functions are normal.

Running on a Dell XPS Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz  on XP Media Center. 

No new programs have been installed within the past week and the last time the projects worked properly was probably around a week ago.

Only thing different is that I moved to a different apartment and upgraded my Comcast Internet to a 20Mbps speed verse the crappy "economy" 768k I was on. 

Looking for any ideas here!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Choppy playback CS2
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I also ran SpyBot and Malwarebytes which did remove some trojans and malware junk and other computer functions are normal.

OK, time for a complete fresh install of OS and programs.

• 2. Re: Choppy playback CS2
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I would agree with Harm.

And this time around, don't install anything you don't specifically need for editing camera media.  Use another computer for all other tasks.

• 3. Re: Choppy playback CS2
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Lakeshore,

Welcome to the forum.

Now, if something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed.

Let's look at some "likely suspects:"

Video driver - these can easily be rendered obsolete by something as simple as an OS update from MS. Get the newest one for your vid-card. One little caveat: if you have a fairly recent nVidia card, there might be two "gaming-only" modules in it: PhysX and 3D Stereovision. Disable these in the nVidia console, as PrPro will NOT use them, and they mess up a lot of Adobe programs. Even though other things seem to play fine, including WMP, an NLE program uses the video driver much more, so it needs to access much more of it. If you have anything older than maybe a month, get the newer one.

Hardware Acceleration - some OS updates can change this setting. If you have it set to Max, turn it to Min. and test. If you have it to Min. set to Max. If you get improvement, then try nudging it up, or down, one step at a time and test. If you then get the problem, move back one notch.

OpenGL support - check the settings for your OpenGL. Adjust and test.

Other things:

If you have a red line at the top of the Timeline, Render (hit Enter) the Timeline and play again. Better? You will get a green line, if Rendering is not needed.

Is your HDD getting full? Most playback is highly I/O intensive, and a slow HDD, or a full HDD can give similar behavior.

There are probably many more, but try these first. If no improvement, then report all details of your Assets, and your Project Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                Lakeshore23 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will further investigate the problems tonight.  I hope I actually have the OS discs, don't remember. 

Upgrading to CS3 or 4 is not in the budget nor is using a separate computer for editing-only.  I wish I was that successful!

I had a video driver update ready to go this morning but had to take off. So that'll be first on my list to try and from there a complete re-install.

I also don't recall installing any OS updates within a week or so, but I'll have to check the control panel on that one. One might've snuck in there without me catching it.

Slightly off-topic here, but I mentioned the new internet connection speed and the first thing I noticed, days before opening Premiere, is I went to YouTube and it seemed every video I (tried) to play was also lagging and stuttering.   Very strange. 

I'll update and probably seek more help depending on what results come next.

thanks again

• 5. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I also don't recall installing any OS updates within a week or so, but I'll have to check the control panel on that one. One might've snuck in there without me catching it.

By default almost evey OS will set the updates to automatic. In those cases, the user must change these settings. On my workstation, I have it set to ONLY notify me of updates and do nothing. On my laptop, it's set to Notify me and download, but do not install, without my permission. Both are XP-Pro SP3.

I do know that there have been many over the last three weeks. How any/all might affect one's video driver, I cannot tell.

the first thing I noticed, days before opening Premiere, is I went to YouTube and it seemed every video I (tried) to play was also lagging and stuttering.

There are a couple of things that can affect Web-based playback: connection speed, traffic on any part of the connection up to, and including the specific Web-site, to the buffering capability on one's system. Usually, with steaming media, this is one's RAM and their Virtual Memory. Any/all can affect the playback.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                    Lakeshore23 Level 1

ok here's the latest... still not resolved....arg.

To answer the several questions above...

- Yes footage is rendered, no red bars anywhere.

- Windows updates are not set to automatic. I approve anything that gets installed, I know that's the case because I stopped IE8 from installing.  So, that would go against my theory of an update installing without me knowing.

- Computer specs are Dell XPS 410  running XP Media Center 2005 Intel Core 2 Duo  E6400 with 2MB cache.  2GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz  GeForce 7300  Editing off 7200RPM Drives with over 200GB free space.

- Have attempted System Restore to numerous different points and the restore function fails completely....great.  So I did a test and made a restore point for tonight, created a folder on the desktop, went "back" to that point and it worked (folder gone).  Guessing all my restore points are corrupted.  Even went back 2 months and it didnt work.  Attempted in Safe Mode, no luck

- Project preset is DV - NTSC Standard 48kHz with all SD DV footage captured as AVI.  JPGs and titles in there as well, but, again, NO ISSUES up until a few days ago opening the projects for the first time anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple months.  All projects are acting the same way.

- Moved Hardware Acceleration to Min from Max and no change.

A complete XP re-install seems harsh to me for something that only seems to be affecting the video of PP and nothing else. Audio does keep up, just not the video.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks, really appreciate it.

• 7. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                      Lakeshore23 Level 1

Will add this little tidbit and head scratcher to the mix;

Made a two new projects.  1 on the C driver one on a different drive.  Imported 1 JPG into each project and both projects stutered and choppy scrubbed the JPG!  There has got to be a setting or check box I jelly-thumbed to screw this whole thing up.

• 8. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        - Have attempted System Restore to numerous different points and the restore function fails completely....great.  So I did a test and made a restore point for tonight, created a folder on the desktop, went "back" to that point and it worked (folder gone).  Guessing all my restore points are corrupted.  Even went back 2 months and it didnt work.  Attempted in Safe Mode, no luck

This is not a good sign. Harm might have nailed it in reply #1?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Have attempted System Restore to numerous different points and the restore function fails completely

That is a real strong sign that it may be time to wipe the entire hard drive and reinstall from scratch.

• 10. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                            Lakeshore23 Level 1

I won't deny that this computer could use a good ol' start-from-scratch.  However,

seems I can put that on the backburner at least for this weekend.  problem fixed!!

Did a re-install of Premiere and the Utilities and BAM! no more choppy play! 

Completely ridiculous yet far easier than a complete rebuild.

Thanks again for all tips.

• 11. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Did a re-install of Premiere and the Utilities and BAM! no more choppy play!  Completely ridiculous yet far easier than a complete rebuild.

That is great news. However, that failure to do System Restores, especially in Safe Mode, would be a flag to me, that something is not right. I'd definitely budget time in the future, for a complete wipe and install. May not be this week, but I'd wager that it will be necessary at some time in the future. Just something to keep in the back-o-the-mind.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to your OP, based on the System Restore Point issue, that troubles me greatly:

One of the first things that one often needs to do is to STOP System Restore, and then manually remove infections. Many can hide in the System Restore. I would look up each Trojan, and malware that were found. There should be a log. For many, there are manual routines available from sites, like Symantec. Check out each one carefully, and follow the exact proceedures for removal. Most of these will require that you turn System Restore to OFF first. Run each, and from Safe Mode, if instructed. After you have manually addressed each, then turn System Restore back on, create a new, manual System Restore Point, and test it, in both regular and Safe Modes.

As I said, many of these can hide in System Restore, and the automatic removal does not get them there - just out in the system. Then, when you reboot, "they're ba-a-ck!" [say that last line in the voice of the little girl, Heather O'Rourke, in Poltergeist.]

Do not treat these things lightly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                                  Lakeshore23 Level 1

Thanks for the details on that. In my midst of searching for

the System Restore error solution, I did read about how it only "masks" the problems and then sure enough, like you said, the infection is still

there.  Another long weekend coming up might be the time to clean this thing up.

Thanks again!

• 14. Re: Choppy playback CS2
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck. Yes, it's a nasty situation, but many of us gets hit, from time to time, almost regardless of how careful we are.

BTW -  is that "Lakeshore" in Chicago, New Orleans, or another "Lakeshore?"

Hope you get it all handled.

Hunt