28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 1:23 PM by mchphotoshop

I can't even get started in "Instant movie"

brobobrose

I have imported video clips from my still camera and can view them in "organize." When I select a few clips and click on "create" and then on "Instant Movie" a violet screen comes up and items get loaded. Then it stops loading and nothing changes. I'm back at the "orgaize/create" screen. I never have even seen the workspce screen with the sceneline and timeline. Tutorials etc. are no help and I can't get through to tech support by phone. HELP! or direct me to where I can get help...........Thanks............BR

• 1. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
          mchphotoshop

You are not alone.  I am having exactly the same problem.  Hopefully, what ever will fix this will work for both of  us.

• 2. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using?

And, since you reference the Create tab, are you building your InstantMovie in Premiere Elements or the Organizer?

If in the Organizer, what happens if you open a project in Premiere Elements first -- so that the InstantMovie tool will have a place to send your files?

• 3. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
              mchphotoshop Level 1

I am using Photoshop Elements 8 and Premiere Elements 8.  It does not matter where I try to launch Premiere Elements, from its own start icon for from with in the Elements 8 organizer as a new project.

I my case Premiere does its "loading programs" at start up and almost always stops loading at "Windows Media".  A few times it went as far as to come up with a "crash" report screen saying that Adobe crashed and giving me an option to send a crash report to Adobe.

One possibility I was thinking of was resources.  I have 4 GB ram, 2.6 MHz Pentium 4, 20GB free hard disk space, XP home.  I don't know if I have a DirectX 9 or 10 compatible video drive (that is what the box says I need).  Except for the DirectX, all of the above should be OK per the requirements on the box.  How do I know if my video driver is DirectX 9 or 10?  20GB of drive space should be enough, but then may be not.  Does any one have Premiere Elements with 20GB of free space or will I need more?

Also, having read other posts, here, I unintalled a Quicktime ver 7.6.x version and installed the Quicktime ver 7.5.5 version which was said to be the most compatible with Adobe.  Still no luck.

May be it has something to do with my video driver since it is choking when loading "Windows Media".

Any thoughts?

• 4. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For DirectX diagnostics, go to Start>Run and type in "dxdiag." You will get full details.

The 20GB could be an issue, though I would not expect it to be so at this stage in your Project, unless you are using large still images. It really could be an issue, when you go to Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder. I feel that 30GB is about minimum, but still, you are early in your Project.

I would suspect your Assets as being an issue though. Please tell us all about them. If you do not know the specs, then get the freeware utility, G-Spot, and run the files through it.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I my case Premiere does its "loading programs" at start up and almost always stops loading at "Windows Media".  A few times it went as far as to come up with a "crash" report screen saying that Adobe crashed and giving me an option to send a crash report to Adobe.

When one gets hangs, or crashes, there is often something stealing resources, or getting in the way.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an NLE session. Other tips will likely eliminate all sorts of unnecessary "stuff."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"

McPhoto, it sounds like you are dealing with a very different issue than the original poster, who was starting his InstantMovie in the Organizer. Also, it's likely, as Hunt pointed out, that your photos have not been resized to 1000x750 pixels and you lack the necessary free, defragmented space on your hard drive.

• 7. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                      mchphotoshop Level 1

Its exactly the same problem...though of course the root cause(s) could be different with different solutions.  If I am in Elements 8 Organizer (I have some pictures and video clips in an album) and I go to "Instant Movie", the violet screen of Premiere Element 8 comes up, it announces all of the programs it is loading and then either stops at "Loading Windows Media" or after may be 10 to 15 seconds at "Loading Windows Media" it brings up an Adobe crash report.

Question: This message "Loading Windows Media", do you think that pertains to Windows Media Player (I have version 11 for XP), or just Window media files in particular?

Also, I have done a defrag, plenty of free contiguous space (can' even get to a Premiere project to worry about burning yet).  Also, down loaded and installed latest DirectX 9 ver 9.27.1734.  The Pentium 4, 2.6 MHz supports SSE2.  So I don't think I have any system limitations.  However, something is causing it not to proceed (or crash) at "Loading Windows Media".

I even tried running Premiere 8 in safe mode...still have same problem.  Next try will be without any anti-virus (AVG) and firewall.  AVG has to be prevented from starting a startup since its processes cannot be killed.

Next I will read the suggested Article.

I supposed I could do an uninstall and re-install, but that is a big job for another time.  Kinda of dissappointed at this point that Premiere 8 is giving me this much trouble at this point.  At least the Elements 8 Photo organizer is working.

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far.  They give me some hope.

• 8. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Mchphotoshop,

The one thing that I do not see is the size of your still images. At most, they need to be only slightly larger than the Project's Frame Size. This ARTICLE will give some tips on resizing in PS/PSE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                          mchphotoshop Level 1

Hunt, good article...maybe, if and when I ever actually get into Premiere I can make use of your experience in photo management.

I guess I don't see how the size of any still pictures has entered the problem yet.  I have never even got to the Premiere Elements 8 work space to create a project, whether from starting from its icon or from inside Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer...New...Premiere Elements 8 Project.

Thats why I wonder what files are actually being loaded during "Loading Windows Media" and then result in Premiere stopping or crashing.  Are they files from the CONTENTS disc, or what?

I have run Nero 9 on my system without any problems and that can be quite a beast for resources.  It sounded like Premiere would have more movie making features.  But if it won't run thats equivalent to no features.

I did dowload and install enditall2 and that was a good utility to get my system down to just the bare bones processes.  Tons of ram was available, disk freshly defraged, lots of free contiguous space...still no luck.

I will see if Adobe technical support has any ideas, but if not, I guess I just bought an expensive photo organizer that can't be used (in my case) to make movies.  I do understand that software can be complex enough (applications and operating systems) that it is not possible to ensure 100% compatibility with all systems.

May be the original poster will get a solution that works for him that I can try.  I am pretty much out of ideas right now.

Thanks to all posters again for all of the

useful suggestions.

• 10. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I guess I don't see how the size of any still pictures has entered the problem yet.  I have never even got to the Premiere Elements 8 work space to create a project, whether from starting from its icon or from inside Photoshop Elements 8 Organizer...New...Premiere Elements 8 Project.

Maybe, but maybe not. You can get Organizer open, but it's when you go to add your Assets, including your still images, that the program crashes, or goes into a Not Responding mode.

PrE has limits on the size of images that it can even Import. If it's limit is like its big-brother, PrPro, then it's ~4000 pixels on the largest dimension. Even a single 4000 pxl. image takes a ton of resources to process, and a couple of them will bring most machines to their knees quickly.

That's why I was asking about the image size. Many DSLRs and even some PnS digital cameras produce larger than 12MP images. These cannot be used well in their raw (not talking RAW here) form, as the video can only display its Frame Size, say 720 x 480. The image must be processed with this in mind. Now, when one views the single still image, they see it for what it is. Remember, we're talking about video here - motion. That 3000 x 4000 still image not only has to be processed to basically crop out everything beyond 720 x 480, or resize the 3000 x 4000 down to 720 x 480, but it has to do it for 30 of these for every second that they are on screen. Have them up for 05 sec, and that's 150 of these monster images. As you can see, if you do the math, that's a lot of unnecessary overhead, and just for 05 sec. of still image. Stick 4 of them in and whoa, do we ever have a lot of pixels to process?

Now, disregarding Organizer and Instant Movie for a moment. Can you just launch PrE 8 directly and choose New Project? That might tell us something.

Good luck, and let us know the size of those still pictures please,

Hunt

• 11. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                              mchphotoshop Level 1

Hunt, you have lots of good information.  In my second post I pretty much explained that it did not matter where I attempted to lauch a new Premiere Elements  Project...whether directly from the PRE desktop or from with in Photoshop Elements Organizer as a New...Premiere Project (not even selecting any items for an instant movie).

I  have not even had the experience of seeing what the Premiere work space looks like with time lines, story boards, tools, etc.

That is why I sure wish I knew what "Loading Windows Media" was doing.  Is it searching all over my hard drive to catalog pictures?  Do I have to "hide" any picture on my system greater than 760x480 from it?  Pretty weird.

I have an album with four pictures in it with resolutions on the order of 1800x1200.  But I am trying to create a new Premiere Elements project that does not have anything to do with those pictures.

If you have Premier 8, can you watch the start up messages about program and contents messages being loaded and tell me what comes after the "Loading Windows Media" message (assuming this is not a one time, initialization that is done only the first time Premiere is successfully launched)? Maybe it is choking on what comes AFTER "Loading Windows Media".  I have Windows Media Player 11, which is the last version for XP and updated as required with Windows XP automatic updates.  Version 12 is for Vista and Windows 7. My Windows Media Play 11 works fine but may be Premiere Elements is having a problem with it.

I have a very large drive that I will be cloning from my present C: drive.  When I eventually get that done, it will become the new C: and I will have probably 300GB of free space.  That will at least settle the issue of whether the 22GB I have now is part of the problem. However, I do have a two drive system and I always point video files and temporay video files to the second drive, which has 350GB of free, contiguous space.  I know this is important during burming (such as in Nero) so that the disk drive head does not  have to more all over the drive during the continous burn phase.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get that far with Premiere Elements 8.

It does not seem that there is much else I can do now, unless something silly and obvious that I have overlooked is discovered.

• 12. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                In my second post I pretty much explained that it did not matter where I attempted to lauch a new Premiere Elements  Project.

Sorry, with two threads in one, regardless of how similar, some details can be overlooked, or lost.

That is why I sure wish I knew what "Loading Windows Media" was doing.  Is it searching all over my hard drive to catalog pictures?

I wish that I could help you, but I do not know what is happening at this point either.

Do I have to "hide" any picture on my system greater than 760x480 from it?

No. Though I would not include any, much larger than 1000x750 for SD, or 2000 x 1500 for HD, in a Project, and would resize to near the Project's Frame Size for two reasons: quality and resource management.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                  brobobrose Level 1

Thanks for all of the interest. Here are more details and responses to questions. I am running the bundled Premiere Elements 8 and Photoshop Elements 8. Windows XP home, 2.66GHZ, service pack 3, 1.5 GB RAM, 5.9 GB hard drive space, Direct X 9 or 10, Both internet explorer 6-8 and mozilla firefox 3 and I updated my quicktime software. I also defragged my computer and updated Wndows as recommended by other posts. I have not yet uninstalled and reinstalled PRE and PSE8. I'm waiting for online tech support to respond also. I simply want to string together video clips from my panasonic digital camera DMC-TZ3 (Quick time motion JPEG)

Like another poster, when I click "New Project" in the "Welcome" screen the bar runs and it loads for over a minute and then nothing happens....I'm just back at the "Welcome" screen. I have never gotten to the workpace with the timelines etc. from the welcome screen nor the "Organize/create" area.

• 14. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    Windows XP home, 2.66GHZ, service pack 3, 1.5 GB RAM, 5.9 GB hard drive space,

Is that a typo? When you typed "5.9GB hard drive space," did you mean "59GB hard drive space?"

The oft recommended minimum amout of defragmented free space is 30GB.

If this is NOT a typo, then it could very well be the issue. The cures are: get additional physical HDD's and allocate them properly, or do a major cleanup of the existing HDD. External HDD's work well for archiving unused files, to give your OS and your NLE room to work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                      brobobrose Level 1

30GB of free space? The box says 2 GB for photoshop and 4.5 GB for premier elements. Is the system requirements on the box wrong? I have 5.9GB (not a typo) on my C drive after defragging. It's total capacity is 37GB. I do also have 2 external hard drive for backup and storage with hundreds of GB of space in each. How would I set that all up? Would going to an external drive slow the process down?

Thanks for responding...even on Sunday!!

• 16. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"

Those 2 gigs of space are for installation of the programs only. Premiere Elements needs a lot of paging and hard drive space to spread out once it opens -- even if you have your actual scratch files and program files set to an external disc.

You really do need at least 30 gigs of free, defragmented space to run this program. Even Windows recommends keeping at least 15% of your hard drive free.

• 17. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                          mchphotoshop Level 1

This 30 GB of free hard disk space (on the C: drive) is one thing I am going to work on...just can't do it right now since it is a bigger job.  I will get another 300 GB drive cloned and make it the C: drive and try again (may be even re-intall again).

If anyone who reads this post has ever gotten Premiere Elements 8 with less than 30 GB on their C:  to START drive please let us know (and how many GB's it was).  If that has never happened that sure could be the smoking gun as Steve points out.

As I said before, I don't keep any video on or point any video temporary files to the C: drive.  I store or point them all to my second (non bootable) 300GB E: drive. But then may be that doesn't matter as far as Premiere Elements 8 starting up on a C: drive with less than 30GB.  I sure wish if that is true it was stated on the box.  That sure would have saved some work and grief.

This is not a totally hopeless situation for me since I do have Nero which runs fine.  But from what I have read, I was hoping to use some of the better video editing features in Premiere Elements 8.  Oh well, I guess that will be later rather than sooner.

Thanks again, all you guys, for your interest.

• 18. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            even if you have your actual scratch files and program files set to an external disc.

Steve,

Do you mean "Project files?" I'm not familar with many, who have been able to run any Adobe program from other than their C:\. Might have missed a few, however.

Now, I edit to/from FW-800 externals with no issues. All of my Project files, Assets, Scratch Disks, etc. are on these, but my program files are always on my C:\.

To the OP, for doing any NLE work, one is best served by having at least 2, and even better, 3, internal HDD's. The system HDD can be smaller (should be as fast as is possible though), and then the others larger for Assets, etc. Having them at 7200RPM is almost a MUST for playback.

I'd look at getting a large, fast system HDD, and adding additional internals, if possible.

Good luck, and as Steve points out - that is for just the installation - the HDD space taken up by the installation ONLY.

Hunt

• 19. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                              mchphotoshop Level 1

I have been reading on this forum all of the problems of PE8 versus PE7 and ealier versions.  It would be nice if Adobe would allow licensed users of PE8 to download and install PE7 using their PE8 serial number.  That might slow down some of the negativity and frustation with PE8 if users knew they could at least use PE7 until Adobe comes out with a version of PE8 and starts and works reliably.

In a buyer beware world, I have no one to blame except myself for buying this troublesome version of PE8.  Had I done more home work, I would have been aware of the problems.  I suppose my mistake was trusting that with a big name like Adobe, their retail products would be well tested.

I can't say that I am angry or anything like that, more like disappointed and frustrated.  I do expect Adobe to come out with a version of PE8 that starts and runs a lot more reliabilty and that such an upgrade should be freely available to licensed users like me.  In the end, that might be the solution that ultimately gets PE8 working for me.

• 20. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I would strongly urge everyone, who is having an issue with PrE8 file a Bug Report. These should be complete and offer as much detail, as is possible, so that the Adobe engineers can reproduce the problem in their labs. Remember, these folk are engineers, and are not officers at Adobe. They are just hard-working folk, who spend all day trying to get to the bottom of Bugs in the software. Please help them help you. Saying that the program does not work, will be of no help at all.

I know that Adobe takes the Bug Reports/Feature Requests to heart and that they have a dedicated staff to researching every report filed. Again, help them to help you, and others.

Just a suggestion,

Hunt

• 21. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                  mchphotoshop Level 1

Thanks.  Good suggestion.  I didn't know there was a bug reporting form.  It does not seem to be prominent on the Adobe web site.  Where is this link on the Abode site?  I am sure more people would use it if they could find it or knew about it.  It would seem to be in Adobe's best interest too to have this form used to fix bugs and compatibility issues as quickly as possible.

• 22. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The Adobe main site is www.adobe.com.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                      mchphotoshop Level 1

HALLELUJAH!!!!!  I finally got to see what the Premiere Elements 8 work space looks like!!!  I got the bloody thing to start!

Here is how I got there:

1.) I did a web search for "Loading Windows Media"

2.) First search result took me to http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=eaa255a190e7c1dc468bd6cbcf5b46ed&t= 51875&page=2

3.) On this site there was a discussion about the same problem.  "Sue" got this problem solved by turning "hardware acceleration" off.

4.) I did this in XP as follows:

Right click on free desk top space

Select Properties

Select Settings Tab

Select Advanced Button

Select Troubleshoot Tab

Slide the Hardware Acceleration Slider all the way to the left for None

Click OK to accept the new setting

The monitor will blank out for a few moments as the video driver updates (don't do this too often since it is hard on the transistors in video driver hardware).

5.)After turning off hardware acceleration in my video driver, I was able to start Premiere Elements 8.  This time it did not quit during "Loading Windows Media", but proceeded beyond that for the first time and may be about 10 to 15 seconds later the Premiere workspace opened!  So now I know what "Windows Media" was tripping on.

Now, I don't consider this a complete solution, since I should not have to turn hardware acceleration off. It is not good for the hardware to be constantly switching settings in the video display. I will have to see how this affects the performance of other applications on my system.  It is really just a work around.  BUT...it does point directly to what the problem is.  My system has video hardware (or drivers ???) that Premiere Elements 8 can't handle.  That is something to explore at another time.  I will write Adobe about this.

I did this with about 26 GB on my C: drive.  I am confident that it will start with less than this.  I will try with less when I can.  BUT, for actually doing video editing and making movies, Steve is absolutely right about planning on at least 30GB of work space.

If others are having Premiere Elements 8 start problems due to the same type of problem (video hardware/drivers), then may be this will help them too in the short term.

I was almost ready to go to bed and forget all about this for the next week.  But just before shutting down, I thought of doing that "Loading Windows Media" search, and lo and behold, we are not alone on this forum having Premiere Elements 8 Start problems.  My sanity is restore...well at least for the short term.

Now I can see if I can actually do some work with it....well not now...too burned out now...may be next week.

• 24. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

• 25. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                          mchphotoshop Level 1

Thanks for your help and all of your good information.  These kinds of problems make me learn more than I want to.  My problem is probably related to being "older" hardware, particulary in the video area.  Although my system meets all of the minium requirements, it can be seen that that is not always sufficient.  Eventually, I will do a search to see if a more up to date video driver exists and if so whether installing it allows me to turn hardware acceleration back on.  I obviously can't change the video hardware.  In the mean time, this work around should suffice.

Thanks again to everyone.

• 26. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                            brobobrose Level 1

Great news! First I'll work on more hard drive space and then I'll try your discovery if it still doesn't work. Still waiting on tech support now that the weekend is over. I'll report if I hear anything new......Thanks to all.........BR

• 27. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                              brobobrose Level 1

It worked for me too! After turning off the hardware acceleration, I to can now get to the next screen with timelines etc. However, as I attempt to work on clips the video is very choppy. Is that due to turning off the accelerator? Did you have that problem? I don't have 30GB of free HDD space. That may be the problem too...or do both issues need remedies?

I'm considering getting a Gforce 6200 256 MB card. I also will get another internal HDD. Does that sound wise? Perhaps it's time to get a new computer...though I hate to do that.

• 28. Re: I can't even get started in "Instant movie"
                                                                mchphotoshop Level 1

Hi, sorry I did not respond sooner.

Yes, when I got to the point where I could actually try to use it, the clips were very choppy.  May be that is due to the fact that hardware acceleration is turned off...or not.  I tried turning the hardware acceleration up by two bars to the right.  Still choppy.

So here are my thoughts on this, which may or may not be simliar to your situation.

First, I have not updated my video driver yet (just don't want to mess with it now since doing so might screw somthing else up).  May be doing so might help.  But mostly likely it won't.  My video hardware is circa 2003.  It runs Nero 9 video editing great (no choppy...just nice, smooth video files of all types).  So I know my video hardware can do it.  But it appears Premiere Elements video editing is even more of a resource beast than Nero 9.  Also, when I am in Premiere Elements 8 it is constantly grinding away on my hard drive doing "rendering" and other stuff I suppose.  Quite a hog.  It seems to me to be pretty bad programming...but that's  just my opinon.

Bottom line is that it requires more hardware (mostly video I assume) than the box suggests.  It probably should only be run on the newest possible hardware with turbo charged video hardware and driver support.

For now, I can use the Elements 8 photo organizer, but will continue to use Nero 9 for video.  When I get a more super charged Windows 7 video system, I can try using Premiere 8 for video again.  Every system, at some point, gets to where it cannot run a new application that a user wants.  That appears to be the situation with my system and Premiere Elements 8 video editing.  In my case it is not a quesetion of enough RAM (4 GB), disk space (26 GB), or CPU power (2.6 GHz Pentium), but video hardware/drive support (i.e. I should not have to turn hardware acceleration off and lose its video capabilities).

So its your call as to what you want to do your system.  A second hard drive for the video files is always a good thing. And increasing the space on your primary drive will help too,  but I doubt that is related to the choppiness.  If you figure out a way to coax acceptable Premiere Elements 8 video editing performance out of your system, let us know.